BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > my F20 M135i landed!

11-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
donaldt
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

my F20 M135i landed!

got the car for about 30 hours ago and have already put 500km on it
cant wait to finish the painful breaking in process

but first impression is that it takes some getting used to the E steering
and a $hit load of torque and grip it just doesnt feel right
it also seems very silent unlike the review says, I will need some exhaust soon

will try to finish breaking in by next weekend and really drive it

sorry guys no picture, it rained just hours after I got the car so its already all dirted up
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
BM635
Private
Rep
Drives: E24 635CSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldt
got the car for about 30 hours ago and have already put 500km on it
cant wait to finish the painful breaking in process

but first impression is that it takes some getting used to the E steering
and a $hit load of torque and grip it just doesnt feel right
it also seems very silent unlike the review says, I will need some exhaust soon

will try to finish breaking in by next weekend and really drive it

sorry guys no picture, it rained just hours after I got the car so its already all dirted up
Congrats! That's like 5 roundtrips from wanchai to airport, in 30hrs! Got mine since Monday, and I'm only at 200km. Agree with you on the noise, hopefully exhaust will open up with a bit of use. I also found the car to be a bit "jerky", but I kinda think it's because the valet that drove the car from Shatin centre to Kowloon service centre was driving the car very aggressively, thus made the transmission go into its more aggressive settings, even in comfort mode. Hopefully will catch up on driving it this weekend, might even see you on the road!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
donaldt
Private
Rep

what color is yours?
mine is white, see you on the road!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
Davidson
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Congrats Both,

I just got my last night, I had to tag along to someones post to share some pics. So check it out.
Do you guys know how to get that oil dial reading, you know that two cool looking (not sure if its oil pressure reading on the display)? I can seem to find it, but I only had a short time to play with it last night.
See you guys on the road too, good luck!

D
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
BM635
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson
Congrats Both,

I just got my last night, I had to tag along to someones post to share some pics. So check it out.
Do you guys know how to get that oil dial reading, you know that two cool looking (not sure if its oil pressure reading on the display)? I can seem to find it, but I only had a short time to play with it last night.
See you guys on the road too, good luck!

D
I've been looking for it as well, first got a glimpse of it from Chris Harris's video of the M135i. Is it only available on cars with the wide navigation screen? That car had it, while mine is the "not so wide" screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
BM635
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldt
what color is yours?
mine is white, see you on the road!
Mine is white as well. It'll be easy to identify because I got the traditional fonts for my plate, not BMW fonts.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
Davidson
Hong Kong
Rep

The dial is for Power and Torque Found it on you tube, I don't think we have the sport display, and why don't we have that??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
The dial is for Power and Torque Found it on you tube, I don't think we have the sport display, and why don't we have that??
I think it goes with the navi pro. What would you want to use that display for anyway?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
Davidson
Hong Kong
Rep

For me, just neat and fun to see lights moving around. I guess just looks.
Damn, and the Nav Pro is not even a option for HK and I heard it cannot be retrofitted.

D
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
donaldt
Private
Rep

I would really like to see those dials too, but I want to be able to see oil and coolant temp more so
I know its available in hidden menu but is there a way so I dont have to unlock it every single time?

anyone knows if BMW ever included any oil change for 1500km break in?
cos I remember I had that on my last two BMW, but apparently they dont and never did except for the True M models, will call the service department again tomorrow

has anyone looked for any modifications for the car yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i Cayman gts

Do you think the exhaust was being modified for hong kong, so the "noise" is not as loud as described in reviews? Or is that because you need to rev it up to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i Cayman gts

I think I read somewhere that the sport display only comes with professional navigation. Think it costs something like 50k, which I think is not worth it. Who needs a sat nav to drive in hong kong anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
donaldt
Private
Rep

Sat Nav doesnt really work in Hong Kong actually, cos there are too many buildings, thats why they didnt even bother to put that option on the list
anyway after 650km, the exhuast seems to have opened up a bit, but still a quiet car
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
actuarius
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Mine was delivered today and was told that no running in is required....so going to try it out properly this weekend.

First impression is fantastic handling, but quite a "jiggly" ride. I had it in comfort mode and was definitely bouncing around a little bit on any roads that aren't smooth.

The E steering definitely takes a bit of getting used to. Very light in slow speeds, especially compared with my old E90 320i. And at higher speeds steering feel is muted - on bumpy roads I felt the jiggly ride, but none of that was transmitted to the steering wheel. Not saying E steering is bad....just takes some getting used to.

Had a short drive tonight in sports mode and that felt good - very fast and stable round the bends, fantastic engine, and also got the Bluetooth and Y-cable working on the iDrive. Just felt like an excellent package, and great value for money. I think I need to drive it more and get used to how it rides.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
BM635
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarius
Mine was delivered today and was told that no running in is required....so going to try it out properly this weekend.

First impression is fantastic handling, but quite a "jiggly" ride. I had it in comfort mode and was definitely bouncing around a little bit on any roads that aren't smooth.

The E steering definitely takes a bit of getting used to. Very light in slow speeds, especially compared with my old E90 320i. And at higher speeds steering feel is muted - on bumpy roads I felt the jiggly ride, but none of that was transmitted to the steering wheel. Not saying E steering is bad....just takes some getting used to.

Had a short drive tonight in sports mode and that felt good - very fast and stable round the bends, fantastic engine, and also got the Bluetooth and Y-cable working on the iDrive. Just felt like an excellent package, and great value for money. I think I need to drive it more and get used to how it rides.
Congrats on your new car. Do you have adaptive dampers? I ordered it with AD and found the car to be extremely comfortable in comfort mode, and I drive mostly on HK island. Haven't tried one out with M sport suspension yet, but right now, I'm thinking of upgrading to 19" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
actuarius
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Unfortunately I didn't order the adaptive dampers. The option wasn't available on the spec sheet, and when I asked the sales person about it, he said you don't need it as it's more for people who wants to go racing. Now thinking back to what he said, I think he just gave me the standard sales person bullshit - he probably didn't know and didn't care, and just wanted me to buy the car.

The difference between my M135i and E90 is quite noticeable - and the E90 was known for a bumpy ride given that it had the old style runflat tires!

It is partly my fault for not pushing the sales guy and try to find out more. But as I have found out time and again, there is not such thing as sales service here in Hong Kong.

By the way, how much was the AD option?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

If you go racing, you probably don't want the adjustable dampers. Once you disable the DSC system on the track, the car goes into Comfort Mode. And you want the dampers and steering to be consistent and predictable, not change with time and situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Hurry up and wash the car so you can show us some photos!
      11-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
donaldt
Private
Rep

I thought the adaptive damper was standard on the M135i?
anyway dont listen to sales person again, they always say you dont need to break in because they dont provide break in oil change, thats all
if you are planning to keep the car, spend a week or two to break it in, just dont push it thats all
then spent the money to get the proper oil change to some nice oil, you will appreciate your own effort afterward

anyone looking to modify the car already?
I am looking if the N55 mods will all fit the same
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
donaldt
Private
Rep

yea the gap between the wheels are the body is screaming "I need bigger shoes" and "Lower me"
at some point I think I will do either.... or both

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM635 View Post
Congrats on your new car. Do you have adaptive dampers? I ordered it with AD and found the car to be extremely comfortable in comfort mode, and I drive mostly on HK island. Haven't tried one out with M sport suspension yet, but right now, I'm thinking of upgrading to 19" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
BM635
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarius
Unfortunately I didn't order the adaptive dampers. The option wasn't available on the spec sheet, and when I asked the sales person about it, he said you don't need it as it's more for people who wants to go racing. Now thinking back to what he said, I think he just gave me the standard sales person bullshit - he probably didn't know and didn't care, and just wanted me to buy the car.

The difference between my M135i and E90 is quite noticeable - and the E90 was known for a bumpy ride given that it had the old style runflat tires!

It is partly my fault for not pushing the sales guy and try to find out more. But as I have found out time and again, there is not such thing as sales service here in Hong Kong.

By the way, how much was the AD option?
The AD option was $10,000 + tax, quite reasonable, IMO. The option was on a separate option list, not readily handed out, I had to ask specifically for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
SirPeter
Rep
Drives:

I had mine (M135i) ordered in mid-October, and I am now waiting patiently till end of March 2013 hopefully. I talked to one of the owners, he too agreed the car has less steering feel than E30 and E36 he previously owned.
Appreciate 0