BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 TPM

10-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
arikukkonen
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: F20 116i TwinPower Turbo

F20 TPM

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi, my first BMW car will be delivered in two months, after four BMW motorcycles.
Now a question, which kind of TPM does BMW use, ABS sensor-based or one which would need a sensor inside each wheel?
I am asking because I will purchase some nice after market wheels for winter tires. And since all BMW\'s come as standard with runflats here, the car will be equipped with a TPM.

Or is it possible to disable TPM via iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

it depends on your country. in US, they require sensors to be put inside the wheel, and sensor can report the exact pressure change. but in Japan, they only sense wheel speed difference with DSC and ABS sensor, so if you loose pressure slowly it won't detect it. so if Finland does not have TPM sensor mandatory law, you'll get gimped version like me and you can't turn it off via iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
-Mikko-
Registered
Rep
Drives: E87

Terve Ari, at least on my E87 1-series TPM is done by using ABS (or traction control) sensors. So you can use aftermarket wheels and with my experience in Finland, get rid of runflats and take good regular winter tyres. I'm using 17" Continental ContiVikingContact 5's and the only problems is that the DTC has tendency to cut the torque since these winter tyres in scandinavia are softer than the tyres in e.g. Germany.
Appreciate 0