BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > front map reading lights

07-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

front map reading lights

what do people think, should i take the risk and buy a map light unit to fit in place of my current non map light unit, risking that it might not be compatible?

as in my interior lighting thread, i have taken the current non-reading light cluster out and found that there are some gaps where wires are likely missing from the connector...and even if there are no missing wires and these gaps are intentional, will it require coding into the system?

these are the questions that i know if i ask my dealer they will go "yes that will be £200 in labour"

i know rear ones are a no-go because there physically isnt enough wires for them...

just wondering thoughts on it? any experts out there?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
fuzzer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 20d SE

Well you buy the fronts and I'll buy the rears I still recon the rear will work without the Extra wiring
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

When you fit them, please let the rest of us know how they fit and work.

I found out too late that map lights are not standard even on the 125i M Sport.

Even the cheapest cars have map lights as standard these days. You would think it would be more cost effective for BMW to have just two versions 1 as standard and 1 for Glass roof.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Just spoken to my local dealer parts department.

Apparently the reading lamp unit is only on the interior comfort pack, and may or may not be a retrofittable part, they don't know.

Also BMW GB don't have any yet, they are only available via direct order through Germany.

Total UK cost inc vat and delivery from Germany is £63.07 :/

However as they don't have any in the UK I can't look at it before I buy it...it would be mine regardless of whether it even works properly.

So its a gamble. He advised waiting until they do bring the part to GB stock (the waiting game).

Helpful guy to be fair.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
I HATE waiting . . . simply don't have the patience for it.
Anyway, you could always pop over to Germany ... that would be a nice drive!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick BMW View Post
BMW interior light unit: £63
Diesel for 2000 miles: £150
New 1er on das Autobahn: Priceless

...but I'm still going to wait for it, cant go taking more time off work, i need to save my days for my actual holiday!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
Bimmerboogie
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzer View Post
Well you buy the fronts and I'll buy the rears I still recon the rear will work without the Extra wiring
Any updates on this?

At least based on the ETK, both light modules seem to be connected to the main wiring harness, which should be the same in each f20. So those light modules might well work plug'n'play. However the ambient lights might need coding, since I've heard that there are two color options for them in the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

The map lights are a fixed power supply (on or off) so they should not require coding
it is possible that the wiring for them is there or you may need to put a link into the plug.
It would be easy to solve if anyone has the wiring schematic for the F20
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

The front overhead cluster has a 12 wire connector to it, but 3 of those wires are "missing" from my loom (I do not have the front map lights). I think those 3 might be for the map lights, I haven't tried it, and it's £63 for a cluster which since it is coming from Germany my dealer would not refund if it doesn't fit.

The rear cluster (also non-map light) has only two wires going into it, and they are only live when the interior light is on. Thus, the rear cluster hasn't got the permanent live required for rear map lights. Hence, again, a different loom is needed.

It seems it is not just a straight swap, unless I am missing something

BTW the second two pin connector on the rear cluster is for the LED Welcome Lights, I had hoped for that to be a permanent live but as you will see in my other thread with the photos I took (http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720656) it is just for two white SMD LEDs.

Summary is I think it's a not possible, both front and rear map lights, without ordering the Extended Lighting pack.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

If it helps, I have got a 118d msport on loan till mine arrives, this has got the map lights in the front and rear. When I have a mo I will take some pics for you to compare. Any help on removing the lights would be of help dont want to break it.

Would be very nice if they are interchangable, might swap these over when mine turns up, you recon they woukd know?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
If it helps, I have got a 118d msport on loan till mine arrives, this has got the map lights in the front and rear. When I have a mo I will take some pics for you to compare. Any help on removing the lights would be of help dont want to break it.

Would be very nice if they are interchangable, might swap these over when mine turns up, you recon they woukd know?
awesome! the light clusters just pop out, there are two metal spring clips at the front edge (on both) and pegs at the back. pop down at the front first then slide out

photos of the wiring looms would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
dchao
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

If anyone has any wiring info, please post.

I just ordered my X1, from London. (It's OK, I know I am in the wrong forum)

BMW (UK) would not add extended lighting on its own on the X1. It can only be order as part of the "Driver Comfort Package" for a small price of £600 ($1000 USD!)

So what's in this package?

- PDC front (yeah, I can see the front clearly and judge the distance myself)
- Cruise Control (When will I be able to use that in London?, it's not like I will be driving on the US interstate freeways)
- Extended Lighting (I want that 2 map reading lights!)

So basically, BMW UK is making me pay £600 for two small map readling lights. Which on principle, I refuse to pay, and refused to be ripped off.

I am willing to pay £63 for a retrofit unit if it works.

Last edited by dchao; 11-03-2012 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #14
Ct71
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f31

I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone got to the bottom of swapping the front cluster from the basic single light to an advanced one with main light plus reading lights? Similar situation on my F31 and it seems like a tempting switch.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #15
Ct71
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f31

Just updating this thread on my findings. NOT a straight swap. You need to code the FRM module for the extended lighting package. Bit too technical for me just to get some map lights.
Appreciate 0