BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Top-10 Finish for TURNER BMW of Marsal & Palttala at Laguna Seca

05-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Top-10 Finish for TURNER BMW of Marsal & Palttala at Laguna Seca

TOP-TEN FINISH FOR TURNER BMW OF MARSAL AND PALTTALA AT LAGUNA SECA
5/4/2015 TurnerMotorsport

Amesbury, MA. – May 4th, 2015 – The No. 97 GTD class BMW of Michael Marsal and Markus Palttala records a tenth place finish in the Monterey Grand Prix on the 2.238 mile 11-tun Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in round three of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.

The strong tenth place finish marks the second top-ten finish for the driver duo on the season following the seventh place finish at Sebring International Raceway in round two.

In Sunday’s two-hour and forty-minute race Michael Marsal took the green flag from P11 behind the wheel of his blue and yellow IHG© Rewards Club BMW to swiftly gain track position. By lap three Marsal had already driven his way into P9 ultimately moving up to P4 in his impressive one and a half hour stint.

“First off, I have to thank the crew for giving me such a well-balanced car, it was incredible the entire stint,” said Marsal. “There was a lot of tight racing out there making it an exciting run. I was able to make up some positions in the opening laps and carry the momentum from there to battle my way up into fifth before handing it over to Markus (Palttala).”

With just over one hour remaining in the race, Marsal was called to pit lane for a full service stop and driver change. With a flawless stop, Markus Palttala was quickly on his way with sights on a top-five finish.

Just before Palttala was able to complete his first lap the No. 97 IHG© Rewards BMW was flagged back to pit lane to serve a stop and go penalty for speeding on pit lane forfeiting four positions dropping and Palttala back to ninth.

Quickly finding his rhythm, Palttala pushed his BMW to string together a number of quick and consistent laps to catch and overtake P8. With just ten minutes remaining, Palttala pressed on to set up a pass on the seventh place No. 22 Porsche entering turn five.

Exiting turn five, Palttala found himself tangled with the Porsche sending both cars off track ultimately forcing Palttala into the pits just before the checkered flag to finish tenth.

“Despite Michael’s strong start the penalty just put us too far back to make a recovery,” said Markus Palttala. “I did what I could to make up some track position and ended up getting in trouble. The car was competitive and I think with our strategy we could of done very well if we had not received a penalty. Both Michael and I are looking forward to Detroit.”

With two top tens and a twelfth place finish recorded on the season, Marsal and Palttala will look to the round 4 Belle Isle Grand Prix to continue their Championship points pursuit.

“Our IHG© Rewards Club BMW Z4 was strong here at Laguna Seca, unfortunately the pit speed violation took us out of the running for a top five finish,” added Will Turner. “The changes in the AoP made for a tight race in GTD, there were battles everywhere which made it an exciting race to watch. Hopefully the level of competition remains the same for Detroit.”

The Tudor Championship action will resume from the Motown on May 29th and 30th for the Belle Isle Grand Prix on the streets of Belle Isle.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Attached Images

Appreciate 0