BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Is poor design affecting sales figures?

08-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Is poor design affecting sales figures?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
When I ask my dealership how fast the 1-series are selling, they tell me: selling like hot cakes! When I see prospect reactions: 1-series is ugly and because of this, often not on the shopping list of target prospects.

Does any body have a clue how they are selling against the forcasted volumes?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I think it is selling rather well, more than the first generation one series. Most of the negative styling reactions you read on internet are from USA, where BMW doesn't even bother to sell it.

The reactions I get from people when they see the Valencia Orange M-Sport F20 are generally VERY positive. Some people complain about my choice of wheels (aftermarket BBS replicas).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
F20 selling very well in the UK

BMW has run aggressive sales campaigns for the F20 Sportline in the UK, led by low 4.9% APR loans with a 0% deposit on a reasoably well specced mid range car ( not the base ES or even SE but the Sportline model)

I understand it has had an excellent response.

While across the model range, M Sport is the lead model in the UK; The F20 Sportline is a clever bundling option at £1500 less than the M Sport with some of the sporty cues folks like. effectively the M Sport fans stick to that model but SE buyers are upgrading to the Sportline.

Surprisingly more petrol models are being bought than the diesel, aided by the fact that the 116i has a more spirited drive than the 116d and 118d; and that mileage and emissions on the petrol models are vastly improved than before.

Residuals have recently been adjusted as many more cars have sold than expected.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Poor design selling like hot cakes.

Haha. In case the irony is lost on anyone, the report says:
"One of the growth drivers in the first seven months was the BMW 1 Series 5-door Hatch with 103,160 units sold, an increase of 56.9% over the same period last year (prev. yr. 65,728)

BMW is playing the marketing game well. Strong product, improved finance options, robust residuals, excellent cost and margin management. No surprise it is taking sales away from the mid and mini segment in some markets like the UK, parts of Europe nd Asia to grow the premium mini segment where it is well positioned to maximise share and profit, as evidenced by its annual report.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Al-Muthamid
Driver
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Yet to be built but fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
yes 1 series is doing quite badly. only 60 % rise in compariosn with last year.
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index....ource=overview
Please... is 60% that much?! You must say that 2011 was the last year of production of a model with 7 years (2004...). At that time most of the possible buyers knew that in September a new model would come out...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

But many people want to buy the last model of a generation. You usually get a good deal from BMW, and all the quality issues have been sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Lets Get real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Muthamid View Post
Please... is 60% that much?! You must say that 2011 was the last year of production of a model with 7 years (2004...). At that time most of the possible buyers knew that in September a new model would come out...

We have already determined that the current F20 / 1er is a strong seller despite a recessionary climate dampening auto sales across many European markets.

I am willing to bet BMW has stronger margins per car sold on the F20 than the outgoing E87 because more cars are being specced with Pro/Business SatNav, Leather, 8-Speed auto transmission and all the other gubbins from BMW. Fewer ES and SE models on the forecourts as people have reason to upgrade to the Sportline and M-Sport.

Hardly scientific, but I see more F20s in an around where I work and live than I do A3s or B-classe Mercs. I havent seen a new A-classe for a few years. I am sure the new A-Classe you love so much will do reasonably well, and it must to justify the huge development costs Merc has sunk in, but the rivalry between Merc and BMW and Audi is not as simple as a model.

Take me for example. The A-classe could turn out to be the best little mini on the planet (and by the way the production version I saw in Munich didnt look like the press photos uploaded here!) but there is something about the BMW ride and essence i love that would preclude me from going anywhere else.

Well, except Maserati on sunny weekends
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I would not even consider a Mercedes. They have no interesting cars for me. The only non-BMW I would condider buying, is the Toyota/Subaru GT86/BRZ. I look for practicality and Fahrfreude (exciting driver involvement) in a compact format at a resonable price.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
I have seldom seen such a fast growing model after introduction as the 1series - and I get thumbs up from collegues, neighbours and on petrol stations almost every day. Isn't much wrong with the public reception in Norway at least.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post

......but there is something about the BMW ride and essence i love that would preclude me from going anywhere else.
Well, except Maserati on sunny weekends
Off topic: no doubt a Maser puts a big grin on your face, but you didn't need to leave the blue-white family as long as there is the 6 series....

Last edited by Superspeed; 08-11-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

I noticed that they already started to give free packs on the F20. This is a practice that BMW only starts at the second half of a car life cycle, not at the start.

In Belgium I don't see a lot of them, and the ones I see are probably leased cars since low specced diesels, no upgrade rims nor automatics. Consequently: low margins!

With the new A3 and A-class coming available, the position of the F20 will probably not lighten up. I'am wondering when the face lift will be announced...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
I doubt we'll see a facelift until the 2 series comes into play.

Then and maybe then BMW might update the front end of the f20 to follow.

Probably late 2013/2014.

I also think that the UK is the slowest selling country for the f20, I've only seen 5 or 6 on the road in the last few months. All bar 1 were Sports
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #12
SeeeGull
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
An LCI (facelift) version will not hit roads until late 2014 if they follow the usual BMW life cycle.

As for sales, the F20 is a big hit with Company Car drivers in the UK and this will keep sales strong. The A3 has always been a competitor and will continue to be, but I can't see its new version grabbing market share. The new A class will appeal to many (not my cup of tea at all) but this is a growing segment so again, BMW sales volumes should not be affected too badly. That's my opinion anyway.

Previous
E36, E90, E92, F30
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #13
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Overall impression of most here is that sales are strong and not negatively impacted by design... !?? So all the criticism on its looks is pointless since no criterium to buy a car in this segment?

When you read threads concerning new models (125d/3-doors/M135i), half of the posts are there to stress it's fugly and certainly not on the shopping list. But that seems not to have any impact at all. Bizar!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #14
SeeeGull
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Overall impression of most here is that sales are strong and not negatively impacted by design... !?? So all the criticism on its looks is pointless since no criterium to buy a car in this segment?

When you read threads concerning new models (125d/3-doors/M135i), half of the posts are there to stress it's fugly and certainly not on the shopping list. But that seems not to have any impact at all. Bizar!
I think the design guys at BMW are ahead of the game. In recent years the new designs seem to have grown on people over time and actually look better a few years after release, whereas the usual suspects (Audi, Merc etc) can look stunning on debut, but look old within a few years as fashions and taste change.

The F20 is not the prettiest car on the road, but there is just something about it when you see one drive past which goes far deeper than looks. It gives off an aura of quality and presence on the road.

I must stress however that I am biased towards the BMW brand, so these are just my views!

Previous
E36, E90, E92, F30
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I think it is selling rather well, more than the first generation one series. Most of the negative styling reactions you read on internet are from USA, where BMW doesn't even bother to sell it.

The reactions I get from people when they see the Valencia Orange M-Sport F20 are generally VERY positive. Some people complain about my choice of wheels (aftermarket BBS replicas).
that,s not true..the f20 is not selling more than e87.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
most people who criticise F20 looks are from US and they are not getting it anyway so their opinion doesn't count for much. as for looks I think it certainly has more presence on the road than A3 which is virtually unchanged from previous model and as for A class although it looks good in Pics somehow is not translating it when seen in metal and I have seen it in Motor show and sat in it. also most reviews that I have seen F20 has come on top in comparison with A class
Probably criticism is stronger in USA, but where I live in Europe, I don't hear many positive reactions either. I presume that 18inch alloys and the M kit do it a lot of good, but the ones I see have no alloys at all or 16inchers. None of my colleagues desire for one, while they do for the F10 and a bit less the F30.

I hope that it has to grow on people, like many state here. I believe they could have realised a long lasting premium design with slimmer head and tail lights also, skipping al the negativism. Is pointless waste after all, a risk they could have avoided easily.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
if someone desire for F10 or F30 they are not even in the market for F20 so if what you are saying is based on their comments then it is utter rubbish. anyway the sales figure don't lie and they are selling bucket loads more of F20 in comparison with E87 in its first year of release. so base on sale figures it is very successful and its direct rivals A3 or A class don't exactly set the standards in looks either
I don't follow this, desirability of a car has nothing to do whether you're in the market for it or not. I don't know how many of us are in the market for a Ferrari F12 or a Veyron, but we can still desire it. On the other hand, it's not because I drive a 5-series, I don't desire anything which costs less or is smaller. The youngster I know, who could be in the market for one, aren't desiring it either and that is worse of course.

But, when the sales figures are strong, it confirms the paradox: a lot of BMW enthousiast think it is ugly (just read the threads in this forum), but somehow people are even buying it more than before.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I think you are missing the point or not getting it. there is more to a car than its looks . looks alone don't dictate the sales figures. whether F20 is ugly or not and that is quite a subjective matter it is selling well because it is better than its direct rivals and that is what makes it a desirable car.
That I understand, since I desire the F20 for it's typical BMW driveline and not his looks. 10 years ago, I thought that most BMW buyers where thinking like this. Now, I know that is not true.

In my company, we have +100 bmws, most of them are driven by ignorant managers who just go for the sleek-professionalism it radiates. They don't really care for dynamics or they don't even know that this is THE differentiator of BMW. When asked, some of them prefer the FWD alternative of Audi. But they prefer the looks of the bimmer better.

The BMW buyers community has a strong enthousiastical core who is in it for the 50/50 weight distribution, the fine handling and stuff, but that accounts for max 20% I guess. The other 80% is more or less circumstancial and probably not loyal. They select by elimination: there are 3 premium brands: audi, bmw and mercedes. They go to a dealership and without any logical premeditation, they buy one of the three after 60 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

Quote:
Probably criticism is stronger in USA, but where I live in Europe, I don't hear many positive reactions either. I presume that 18inch alloys and the M kit do it a lot of good, but the ones I see have no alloys at all or 16inchers. None of my colleagues desire for one, while they do for the F10 and a bit less the F30.

I hope that it has to grow on people, like many state here. I believe they could have realised a long lasting premium design with slimmer head and tail lights also, skipping al the negativism. Is pointless waste after all, a risk they could have avoided easily.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The 1er came to the forefront as demand had emerged for a compact BMW an entry point to the BMW brand. Originally the entire concept was meant to a Rover until BMW went on its own and that included scrapping the Rover concept entirely and starting from scratch on the BMW.

Looks are subjective to the few but I find the car in real life to be distinctive , original and very sporty looking for a compact hatch.
But the F20 has had a great start in regards to sales , I know many that are holding off for the F21 and indeed the F21 M135i because that is THEIR car. BMW's are developed from a brief and a blank sheet of paper in regards to the demands of our global customers.
The FWD BMW 1er also follows through this strategy.
The competition has grown since the E87 and BMW need to remain competitive in regards to this segment which strategically is the global car market's priority segment. Everybody plays to win here.
      08-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:

In Belgium I don't see a lot of them, and the ones I see are probably leased cars since low specced diesels, no upgrade rims nor automatics. Consequently: low margins!
I am also in Belgium (in the South though ) and see them at every corner... Go figure
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The 1er came to the forefront as demand had emerged for a compact BMW an entry point to the BMW brand. Originally the entire concept was meant to a Rover until BMW went on its own and that included scrapping the Rover concept entirely and starting from scratch on the BMW.

Looks are subjective to the few but I find the car in real life to be distinctive , original and very sporty looking for a compact hatch.
But the F20 has had a great start in regards to sales , I know many that are holding off for the F21 and indeed the F21 M135i because that is THEIR car. BMW's are developed from a brief and a blank sheet of paper in regards to the demands of our global customers.
The FWD BMW 1er also follows through this strategy.
The competition has grown since the E87 and BMW need to remain competitive in regards to this segment which strategically is the global car market's priority segment. Everybody plays to win here.
Scott, are you saying that the F20 has gotten its specific looks because it had to please in a globalised market and not only in Europe or the US?

BTW, I just read in the German Autobild that Germany has elected the most destinctive car designs...new A-Class first with 34% of the votes and second... the 1-series with 17%! Incredible... 1-series really has a polarizing design.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/desig...2-3553666.html
Appreciate 0