BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BRING BACK THE DIPSTICK -- Rant for the Day

12-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #67
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I need dual hip replacements. Tales from a misspent youth. I can't do all of the work on the car that I would like to do.
Next.
I upgraded to titanium a while back for both knees (misspent youth on too many dirtbikes ). I can now stand on the concrete floor for hours in my shop and not cry anymore. Get the hips brother, you'll be a new man. My wife had her left hip done, it's not a hard operation to recover from.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #68
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Wow dude. Pretty snarky response.

Take a chill pill.

"Stop talking about what you don't know about"????? Geez....it's the Christmas season. Relax.
Snarky comment gets a snarky response. The man basically accused me of being a dumbass. I did 17,500 OCI's and lived to tell about it and just ordered the parts for my clutch replacement I'm doing next week. When a car gets to 250,000 miles the oil change interval whether it is 17,500 or 7,500 miles is basically immaterial to the asking price. The cost delta between 7,500 miles and 17,500 miles (especially if you don't DIY) is not going to be recovered in the sale price of the used car at 250,000. I bench mark all my cars to 250,000 miles minimum, so I buy them and use them up, so the resale value at 250,000 miles is pretty much set by the high mileage and not the maintenance schedule performed on the car. I know this from experience.

Added content: So just for shits and grins I did the math to make my point a bit more clear. For my car I've done 21 oil changes over 293,000 miles. Using an average price of $90 each that's roughly $1,900 spent on oil changes. Using and OCI of 7,500 miles over 293,000 miles requires 39 oil changes. At the same average price of $90 each the 7,500 mile OCI costs roughly $1,600 more. Considering the amount of other parts besides the engine that can fail at that level of mileage due to age and wear, trying to convince a buyer that the engine is in better shape than normal because the OCI was doubled up and the car is worth $1,600 more (when the sales price is probably $2,500) is a non-starter.

Thanks for your concern. Merry Christmas.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-23-2015 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #69
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I upgraded to titanium a while back for both knees (misspent youth on too many dirtbikes ). I can now stand on the concrete floor for hours in my shop and not cry anymore. Get the hips brother, you'll be a new man. My wife had her left hip done, it's not a hard operation to recover from.
Yes.

I am scheduled for late February. Business is demanding and I haven't been able to schedule the time.

The technology is pretty impressive but I am concerned about longevity. We shall see!

Thanks-mk
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #70
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes.

I am scheduled for late February. Business is demanding and I haven't been able to schedule the time.

The technology is pretty impressive but I am concerned about longevity. We shall see!

Thanks-mk
Let's put it this way... they'll last longer than your current setup

But seriously, 25+ years what my doc told me.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #71
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Let's put it this way... they'll last longer than your current setup

But seriously, 25+ years what my doc told me.
Lol!! Well, 100% true. My current setup is garbage! No amount of tweaking can fix it!

The left hip, which rarely hurts is nearly completely destroyed. The right hip, which still looks like a hip, pops in and out of joint on it's own accord. Thank goodness for anti-inflammatory meds!!
My Orthopod said, 'Rock on...aside from a break there is no additional damage you can do to them! Congratulations...You're a case study!!' Seriously.

Knees are far more advanced than hips. They can definitely go the 25+ years. Hips are rated by % failure at 10 years. Manufacturers say that they have a 25-30 year hip, and in theory they do...but the actual device will probably last 12-20 years, in situ.

Last edited by MKSixer; 12-23-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #72
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol!! Well, 100% true. My current setup is garbage! No amount of tweaking can fix it!

The left hip, which rarely hurts is nearly completely destroyed. The right hip, which still looks like a hip, pops in and out of joint on it's own accord. Thank goodness for anti-inflammatory meds!!
My Orthopod said, 'Rock on...aside from a break there is no additional damage you can do to them! Congratulations...You're a case study!!' Seriously.

Knees are far more advanced than hips. They can definitely go the 25+ years. Hips are rated by % failure at 10 years. Manufacturers say that they have a 25-30 year hip, and in theory they do...but the actual device will probably last 12-20 years, in situ.
Not to make this too personal on the Forum but I was upto 1600 miligrams of Advil a day. The doc looked at my knees, turned to me and said "This is what we call job security." I hope you get them done soon. So you'll soon have something in common with Eddie VanHalen
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #73
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Not to make this too personal on the Forum but I was upto 1600 miligrams of Advil a day. The doc looked at my knees, turned to me and said "This is what we call job security." I hope you get them done soon. So you'll soon have something in common with Eddie VanHalen
That is a lot of Advil!
The docs plan vacations on these diagnoses!

I know that his was done at a really young age...fortunately(?), I am a several years older and can depend on it lasting into my mid-60's to early 70's.

Cheers-mk
Back to our originally scheduled thread!
Appreciate 0