BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BRING BACK THE DIPSTICK -- Rant for the Day

12-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #23
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidle323 View Post
Bimmerworld dipstick kit if anyone pulling off the pan to doing rod bearings
http://store.bimmerworld.com/e9x-m3-...kit-p2042.aspx
It's on the list, along with the VAC baffle for track days.

FWIW VAC will install the dipstick bung for you for $50.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #24
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
It's on the list, along with the VAC baffle for track days.

FWIW VAC will install the dipstick bung for you for $50.

Haha, glad you are able to do it all in one shot, lucky guy!
I found that dipstick kit a few months after I had mine done quite a while back
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #25
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

I'm late to the party.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #26
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Wow, I don't think I've ever been called "stubborn, scared by smart phones, and old man" in the same post! Geez....that hurts!

So I suppose we'll have to all accept only automatic transmissions and automomous cars with no steering wheels because they are "more accurate" or "more efficient" or "better technology"? No thanks.

Some times, new "better" technology isn't the answer.

I had a brand new 335iS three years ago. Top of the line, state of the art, $61,500 worth of plenty of "sensors" and electronic monitoring systems. Guess what? They failed! In the first week. The car wouldn't even run for 2 miles without giving me the "engine disabled" signal and turning off. BMW worked for 3.5 months to try to fix or replace or diagnose the "sensor" problem, but couldn't. They brought BMW technicians in from California, and consulted with Germany. They never got it fixed. They ended up accepting my claim of a lemon and buying me a brand new car ordered from Germany.

So, forgive me if I don't have faith in BMW "sensors" protecting my engine.

But I guess I am just a 6MT, dipstick, hydraulic steering loving "stubborn, old, scared of technology dude." I'lll wear that badge with pride!

Ok now I can see where your views come from, that's a pretty terrible experience
I do think that kind of thing is rare though, how many are there out there working fine? Over 99% I bet, mine being one of them.

BMW themselves would surely have abandoned the design if that kind of thing was common because it's a massive headache for them as well. But then maybe they're stubborn themselves, they're still sticking runflat tyres on their new cars

Transmission and steering are a different case, they affect your enjoyment and feel for the car. Electric dipstick doesn't.... as long as it works, that is.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So I'd like to throw in here. First off most people don't understand how to use the e-dipstick and don't understand how it works. Me and numerous other members have researched how the sensor operates and have posted the information on the forum. The oil condition monitoring is not new technology by any stretch. It has been used in industrial manufacturing for decades to track oil quality of various machine tools and other systems that require oil lubricants. Kudos for BMW to bring the technology to its cars.

Having said that, I was a bit of a luddite in 2006 when I realized the N52 didn't have a mechanical dipstick. I first thought, dumbass BMW, and it almost kept me from buying my E90. But I realized that my E30 had an e-dipstick in it along with the mechanical one. In the M20 the oil level sensor always and reliably let me know when the engine was a quart low and the mechanical dipstick backed up that reading, so I figured the technology was pretty straight forward and bought the E90. 9 years and 293,000 miles later living with a non-dipstick engine, I can say I don't miss having a mechanical dipstick. As far as the oil condition sensor goes, I loved that technology too, and followed the CBS OCI, which on my car averaged 17,500 miles... until I discovered BMW programs the oil condition monitoring function to go defunct after 186,000 miles.... Dumbass BMW.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I want my dipstick too. I've had leaky gaskets and before being able to change them I want to check oil level to ensure I have enough. Gotta wait 5 min for the electronic one to register. Too long. Especially if you're running low while waiting.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #29
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

At least have both. What would that cost, $20 more?
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #30
Jonathan@BimmerWorld
Rep
Drives: M3, LMR-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ul View Post
Why haven't one of the vendors like iND make an aftermarket part for this? Seems like theres a demand for this, I know I would get one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidle323 View Post
Bimmerworld dipstick kit if anyone pulling off the pan to doing rod bearings
http://store.bimmerworld.com/e9x-m3-...kit-p2042.aspx
We love new tech, but we're still a bit old-fashioned in some ways, so we offer kits to install a traditional "analog" dipstick. As the link above shows, we have a parts kit for just the dipstick as well as full kits with either a refurbished oil pan or new.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #31
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I want my dipstick too. I've had leaky gaskets and before being able to change them I want to check oil level to ensure I have enough. Gotta wait 5 min for the electronic one to register. Too long. Especially if you're running low while waiting.
Dipstick doesn't tell you the right level when the car is cold either. You need to drive the car long enough to reach operating temp, then park it and check 5 mins later (procedure in the E46 manual). E9x can give you an accurate reading much faster than that.

And if your gasket is leaking so bad that it can go from fine to dangerously low between drives, surely you've left it waaaay too long?
My E46 328i has visible oil leakage from gaskets, been like that for years and by the time it triggers a yellow oil light it's well due for an oil change anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #32
Rick550I
Rep
Drives: Milano Beige 550i

Dealer never changed air filter because the electronics never told them

I just discovered that the dealer never changed my air filters under the 4 year maintenance period. My service advisor said it was because they never got the electronic alert telling them it was due. The filters were starting to decompose (probably from too much heat). All they had to do was look, like I did, and it was obvious. He said someone must have "erased" the alert.

I've also had excessive oil usage. One week it reads full and the next week my wife is out of town and gets the low oil warning. Yes, I'd appreciate a dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #33
trixdout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi 6mt

NO way in hell that a electronic dipstick is much more accurate than your eye on an analog dipstick.

Power steering fluid shows the recommended level when cold or hot. Some car manufacturers do the same for engine oil. You can get just as accurate of a measurement in an analog dipstick whether cold or hot. Just get the level right when hot, and compare to where the mark is when cold. Simple.

Analog for the modafokan win.
      12-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #34
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan@BimmerWorld View Post
We love new tech, but we're still a bit old-fashioned in some ways, so we offer kits to install a traditional "analog" dipstick. As the link above shows, we have a parts kit for just the dipstick as well as full kits with either a refurbished oil pan or new.
But will it work on an n54?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #35
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
If condition of oil is all one cares about, just change the oil at 5 or 7.5k mile intervals or 6-months time if you drive less.
I change my oil every 3,500 - 4,000 miles. Always have, always will! (see, that dude earlier was RIGHT! I AM stubborn! Just not old, or not THAT old. Ha!)
'17 M2 San Marino Blue, 6MT; 2011 335iS, 2007 328i, 19 Ram 1500, '18 Yamaha MT-07, '14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. SOLD: '16 European Delivery M3 San Marino Blue, 6MT. '13 335iS, 2002 M3 6MT, 1997 M3, 1998 M3, 1996 328is (picked up in Munich at OLD ED Center), '88 Mustang GT 5.0, '84.5 Mustang SVO Turbo, '77 Rabbit,a cool 1992 Taurus SHO, and KTMs.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #36
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

What's a dipstick?

I'm going back to a landline telephone. Don't rely on air connection. Also I'm going to buy a spare tire, inner tubes, halogen headlights and replacing the injectors for a carburetor. Getting rid of the DCT, going manual. Lol. Half the forum will be with me on the last change, right? Wrong if that's my DD and no track.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #37
trixdout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
What's a dipstick?

I'm going back to a landline telephone. Don't rely on air connection. Also I'm going to buy a spare tire, inner tubes, halogen headlights and replacing the injectors for a carburetor. Getting rid of the DCT, going manual. Lol. Half the forum will be with me on the last change, right? Wrong if that's my DD and no track.
If you were hoping to win the troll comment for the day, gotta try harder

Some things are better off being kept simple rather than up to date with technology for the sake of not over complicating things.
      12-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #38
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixdout View Post
If you were hoping to win the troll comment for the day, gotta try harder

Some things are better off being kept simple rather than up to date with technology for the sake of not over complicating things.
Exactly. Technology for technology's sake isn't always better.

I didn't buy a Lexus or Infiniti. I bought a BMW, which is supposed to be a driver's car, the "ultimate driving machine," not the:

"ultimate electronic sensors and drivers simplification systems that will do all the work for you so you don't have to actually drive and/or pay attention or do anything at all except text and instagram and snapchat and watch vine videos while you're on the road" machine
'17 M2 San Marino Blue, 6MT; 2011 335iS, 2007 328i, 19 Ram 1500, '18 Yamaha MT-07, '14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. SOLD: '16 European Delivery M3 San Marino Blue, 6MT. '13 335iS, 2002 M3 6MT, 1997 M3, 1998 M3, 1996 328is (picked up in Munich at OLD ED Center), '88 Mustang GT 5.0, '84.5 Mustang SVO Turbo, '77 Rabbit,a cool 1992 Taurus SHO, and KTMs.

Last edited by M2PDX; 12-14-2015 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #39
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
I bought a BMW, which is supposed to be a driver's car, the "ultimate driving machine," not the:"ultimate electronic sensors and drivers simplification systems that will do all the work for you so you don't have to actually drive and/or pay attention or do anything at all except text and instagram and snapchat and watch vine videos while you're on the road" machine
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 03:48 AM   #40
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

100% agree with the OP. It simply says to me that BMW don't design cars for enthusiasts. They design them for the mainstream buyer who may not even be aware of the purpose for engine oil.
I reached the realisation a long time ago, but it is still disappointing.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #41
Jonathan@BimmerWorld
Rep
Drives: M3, LMR-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
But will it work on an n54?
No, that linked kit is S65-specific, so it would work on E9X M3 and S65 transplants only. We do have our BimmerWorld E8X/E9X Race Oil Pan for E8X and E9X N52- and N54-based cars, however.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #42
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixdout View Post

"Some things are better off being kept simple rather than up to date with technology for the sake of not over complicating things.
"

What are you talking about???? Do you think deleting a dipstick and adding an electronic sensor is rocket science and its OVER complicating things? Have you ever change an AC evaporator or fix the vanos or replace the actuators? Holy crap dude!!!! There is when you start to see complicated stuff. Getting back a dipstick to your car won't make it SIMPLE.

Most of the times when BMW engineers do a change like this is because there is a very good reason behind it. If this is too complicated for you, either install the pan suggested on this thread or buy a 68 Chevy!!!! Simple and it has a dipstick.

Suggestion: eliminate the tpms, the combox and the throttle actuators. It's over complicating things for you and then you will be a

You need to start seeing your car as an M3, not as a standard car. It's suppose to be the ultimate driving machine.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #43
trixdout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
"

What are you talking about???? Do you think deleting a dipstick and adding an electronic sensor is rocket science and its OVER complicating things? Have you ever change an AC evaporator or fix the vanos or replace the actuators? Holy crap dude!!!! There is when you start to see complicated stuff. Getting back a dipstick to your car won't make it SIMPLE.

Most of the times when BMW engineers do a change like this is because there is a very good reason behind it. If this is too complicated for you, either install the pan suggested on this thread or buy a 68 Chevy!!!! Simple and it has a dipstick.

Suggestion: eliminate the tpms, the combox and the throttle actuators. It's over complicating things for you and then you will be a

You need to start seeing your car as an M3, not as a standard car. It's suppose to be the ultimate driving machine.
Have fun doing an oil change with an electronic dipstick that don't work.....

Just an added expense when it does crap out.

Excuse me, I forgot that BMW engineers are gods amongst us mere mortals.....

Continue with your fine intuition. Enlighten me more oh wise one.

BMW engineers HAH. Go explain to yourself first before you respond here. Why does the e9x m3 need its rod bearings replaced at under 100k miles? Even with HARD abused mileage, the rod bearings should not have to be touched until over 80k. That is if the engine was built to tight clearances and specs.

BMW ENGINEERING FTMFW
      12-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #44
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep

I'm done here...what waste of time. Discusing about a dipstick!!!!

1. Add one if it makes you happy.
2. Call BMW and complain. Most probably they will add one on the next gen.
3. Start a riot, a movement....

Good luck
Appreciate 0