BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > The Revolutionary....1. BMW Compactive Sports Tourer Concept

08-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The Revolutionary....1. BMW Compactive Sports Tourer Concept

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The Revolutionary...1.

BMW Compactive Sports Tourer Concept is literally a few short weeks away [at the 2012 Paris Motor Show at the end of September].

We can consider the BMW i3 to be a revolutionary concept in terms of design and drivetrain but the term revolutionary can also be applied to the first of BMW's venture into FWD territory.

The sketch is what happens when you spend more than a few minutes on putting something to paper quickly.

Like any sketch whether in automotive , architectural or even interior design you first sketch your idea , only when you are happy with that idea you can begin to make it more realistic in terms of proprtions , height, light , packaging , surface elements etc. till eventually you end up with something resembling the description of the marketing brief.

Sometimes sketches lure you into a self-style of belief that this car is going to really , really sleek. (think of the first Panamera sketches) and then once you have to take aerodynamics and packaging into consideration it comes out the opposite you initially expected.

The BMW Compactive Sport Tourer has to be tall in order to suit the required interior packaging , light is extremely important to this car so an effective glasshouse helps to shrink down some of the overhangs.

A typical BMW sloping roof identifies the sporting character of the BMW design philosophy. The front design inherits the classic BMW impression of double headlights and a slightly less wide but more taller kidney grille that lay its intentions that although the drivetrain is different we still have a BMW right down to that wheel at each corner look.

The surface work and initial characterline reminds us that this is a part of the 1er family so elements are inherited and interpreted into a larger concept. The main purpose of the Compactive Sport Tourer is increased space helped by the move to FWD so space is better used all around the interior.

The drivetrain also lends itself to the MINI brand which will allow the engineers to tune the car's dynamics to each of their brands expectations. For BMW it has been a tough nut to crack but the engineers have come to a satisfactory conclusion that typical BMW driving communication and character is not lost in the translation to FWD.

The CST will also share its DNA with the MINI Traveller a car that will disguise its shared platform , electronics , components, engines etc with its own appearance of typical MINI design and bespoke switchgear.

Individuality is key for both vehicles to successful with the customer who could be choosing such a vehicle as their first BMW or MINI product.

Paris Debut

In a few short weeks we will see the Concept prior to its premiere in Paris, I should warn you though that the initial prototypes we see have excess vacumed plastic padding underneath the swirl camouflage so it loses the organic shape that lies underneath including the character line and design lines in the lower areas of the car which bring its proportions into effect. It is in reality a very good looking car and will be a very direct rival for the B-Klasse ,Mercedes which is enjoying huge success in Europe currently.

Of course we know that people will dismiss this car as not a true BMW, and that in an act of rage we will probably expect some M3 owners to burn their keys in protest. As of the renders some are way off in another direction for example it is not going to be a 6er turned into a small concept.

The BMW FWD cars are designed to be a break from the norm , a sort of reimagining of the volume car.
Each concept is designed to appeal to the customer who wants to feel that difference and also wants to stand out.

BMW CST , BMW City Compactive and BMW F.A.S.T. are individual concepts that distinguish themselves from other volume cars , looks are one thing but the engineers have managed to find that BMW feel transition to Fwd.

The new FWD family also brings MINI into a more profitable arrangement than previously.

The combined MINI / BMW FWD family also allows more concepts to come from the same modular architecture.
Attached Images

08-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

It's going to have a longitudinal mounted engine correct? I swear I read that somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
what a load of markeing bull.... revolutionary FWD car
Revolutionary in terms for BMW. FWD is revolutionary for BMW.
Packaging in the CST is also revolutionary for a BMW.

Sales Volume? You are possibly looking at what could become BMW's best or one of their best selling models , this concept for BMW is the most demanded in europe , a BMW for large family units.
BMW can now increase MINI profits due to the platform, technology, drivetrain sharing with MINI which will see BMW's profit margin increase by a considerable margin.

Direct rival for the Mercedes-Benz B-Klasse which is enjoying huge success in Europe at the current time.
Audi now scared at the prospect of this growing market for premium space vehicles and are developing an A3 vario based on the VW Touran .
      08-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

speaking of fwd, mini/bmw etc., when do i get my z2?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Fahadm
Lord Farquaad
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N54

I really don't like the direction BMW is going with making FWD cars. BMW has been making minis for a while now, and that was their FWD platform, but expanding that to the 1 series that has been such a iconic car, in my opinion is just stupid.

///N54 FBO + METH | Upgraded snail(s) coming soon...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Sales Volume? You are possibly looking at what could become BMW's best or one of their best selling models , this concept for BMW is the most demanded in europe , a BMW for large family units.
BMW can now increase MINI profits due to the platform, technology, drivetrain sharing with MINI which will see BMW's profit margin increase by a considerable margin.

Direct rival for the Mercedes-Benz B-Klasse which is enjoying huge success in Europe at the current time.
Audi now scared at the prospect of this growing market for premium space vehicles and are developing an A3 vario based on the VW Touran .
FAIL. Its not the size that people have a problem with, its the FWD part.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

BMWs marketing department is amazing, they can spin shit into gold. Revolutionary ReImagining of FWD... er you mean like everyone did years ago and you brain washed us then that RWD was the only way forward?

I've been a BMW owner too long, time to look for another brand, their quality is going down the pan and their marketing is full of bull crap brainwashing.

Good luck to them, my hard earned is going somewhere else next time.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Hoosiers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
BMWs marketing department is amazing, they can spin shit into gold. Revolutionary ReImagining of FWD... er you mean like everyone did years ago and you brain washed us then that RWD was the only way forward?

I've been a BMW owner too long, time to look for another brand, their quality is going down the pan and their marketing is full of bull crap brainwashing.

I agree. Although I will root for BMW in most comparisons, I feel BMW is going where the American automotive companies went entering the 1970's. On top of the world, great vehicles, then rested on their laurels and tried brainwashing the public that FWD 4 cylinders were the way to go. Goodbye old friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
For BMW it has been a tough nut to crack but the engineers have come to a satisfactory conclusion that typical BMW driving communication and character is not lost in the translation to FWD.
Yeah, good luck with that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
what a load of markeing bull.... revolutionary FWD car
+1, besides; doesn't BMW build the MINI brand anyway? so this isn't some new thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
It's going to have a longitudinal mounted engine correct? I swear I read that somewhere.
Is that even possible?
      08-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

While it's good that BMW is finally realizing that the market wants smaller and lighter cars, not bigger and heavier machines (hello, F30), it's a sad day when it expects people to be excited over a FWD platform.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
While it's good that BMW is finally realizing that the market wants smaller and lighter cars, not bigger and heavier machines (hello, F30), it's a sad day when it expects people to be excited over a FWD platform.
Actually although it is slightly larger, the F30 is considerably lighter than the E90.

Otherwise, I completely agree with you! FWD is worse the RWD in almost every aspect apart from snow. However, depending on balance and the driver, RWD may actually prove to be better! Certainly more fun if you can get it moving!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

I thought the whole idea of luxury and premium is for exclusivity. Pushing volume and diluting the brand in the name of increasing profits, while following the sheeple, sounds like Accountants are running the show. You can see where that got GM, Chrysler, etc.

Brand is all about the product, and last I seen FWD cars are not "Ultimate Driving Machines", which is supposedly all BMW builds according to their ads. So, what will BMW's new slogan be...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Actually although it is slightly larger, the F30 is considerably lighter than the E90.

Otherwise, I completely agree with you! FWD is worse the RWD in almost every aspect apart from snow. However, depending on balance and the driver, RWD may actually prove to be better! Certainly more fun if you can get it moving!

Define: considerably lighter... Only the new F30 328i is slightly lighter, by a few pounds. The new 335i actually weighs in more than the old e90 model.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598641
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Emil
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Define: considerably lighter... Only the new F30 328i is slightly lighter, by a few pounds. The new 335i actually weighs in more than the old e90 model.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598641
The thread you quoted says F30 335i is lighter than the E90 335i

BTT: Front wheel drive sucks. End of story.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
You are correct that the F30 is a bit lighter than the E90, but I would hardly call those savings considerable.

F30 328i w/ 6MT is the same weight as the E90 it replaces.
F30 335i w/ 6MT is 55lbs. lighter
F30 328i w/ 8AT is 11 lbs. lighter
F30 335i w/ 8AT is 66 lbs. lighter

The biggest weight savings yield an improvement of 1.8%. Kudos to BMW for moving in the right direction in that department, but again, that's hardly considerable.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
M ETT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M VO, F30 EBII

However much I can understand that BMW is a company and as such in the business of making money and thus have to make cars they can sell a lot of and talk all day about economics of scale and what have you...
I completely fail to understand why Scott is trying to market a FWD platform on this forum. This is a forum for enthusiasts, we will probably never like a FWD BMW.
Let the masses that don't even care buy FWD Bimmers but don't try to convince anyone here that FWD is a good thing.
My 2 cents here ...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
FWD is worse the RWD in almost every aspect apart from snow. However, depending on balance and the driver, RWD may actually prove to be better! Certainly more fun if you can get it moving!
I think I could live with FWD as a commuter car in the summer, but when driving in snow, I need RWD!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

*yawn*

Please get over it guys, FWD BMW's are on the way, and technically have already been here for some time *cough* Mini *cough.*

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

BMW cannot let Audi and BMW continue to dominate the burgeoning small luxury car segment. While I know a lot of this sounds like marketing bs, I think BMW can adequately transition the "Ultimate Driving Machine" philosophy into small front-drivers. From what I have heard, the A1 and MB A and B klasses are quite good cars. BMW should not rest on it's laurels, especially with the 3 and 5 growing in weight and dimension every generation. Plus, these small, entry level cars are hopefully very good and lead consumers to later transition into BM's more expensive offerings.
      08-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post

I have to agree--just said the same basic thing (over different reasoning) in the M2-I4/I6 debate on the 1addicts page.

I feel like I will really be looking elsewhere next time...and my last 4 cars have been BMWs...
      08-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I feel like I will really be looking elsewhere next time...and my last 4 cars have been BMWs...
The problem is that there are no other manufacturers left in the RWD compact car market. If you want a compact car in the future it will be FWD (or AWD). And if so you might just as well buy it from BMW

Let's hope they at least keep one sporty RWD niche car for the enthusiasts, paralel to the FWD platform. Toyota just reintroduced RWD on a niche model. If the Japanese see this business oportunity, why not BMW?

BMW Group should let Mini take care of the FWD business (where they do a good job) and let the BMW brand take RWD to even higher levels, loyal to it's heritage and faithful customers.

But what do I know, being just a simple engineer and not a fancy marketing expert
      08-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

BMW can call this car whatever they want to FWD 1er, 1er GT, MB B-class fighter, ect..). Most of us can't stand the thought of a FWD BMW!! To me its the mini van that has been reported for years - coming to a market near you soon!

Name:  BMW-1er-GT-729x486-a7dd0c2e856bd338-655x436.jpg
Views: 2987
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  BMW-1er-GT-729x486-4d0cca117bbef024-655x436.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  59.1 KB
Appreciate 0