BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > To TMC or not to TMC?

03-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 118i M-Sport

To TMC or not to TMC?

Right, so very briefly my 118i is now run in and ready to consider the power upgrade.

It's between the Hartge or the TMC solution. They are both made well, the Hartge has a 6 point connection and the TMC has 4.

Even with my discount the Hartge is still over £1000 more than the TMC.

Both give similar gains and before the engine warranty discussions start I know about the Hartge 2 year on the engine.

No disrespect to ACS, the hardware is good but I just don't want to stretch to nearly £2k and there is no way I am chopping into the CAN bus.

So which would you go for?

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers D
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
My thoughts posted on another thread:

Quote:
I had a TMC box on my Abarth and probably won't be putting one on my BMW...

The box was good, power increase was silly (some owners went from 180bhp to 230bhp) but with all good things something had to give.

You can't expect to run 30%+ more power on standard components and be ok. The weakest point of the engine will always suffer and fail sooner, 9 times out of 10 it's a small insignificant part. On the Abarth the boost solenoid failed on 3 out of 4 Abarth SS's that resulted in limp mode. It took between 1 and 2 years for this to happen and when it did you needed a new £140 part.

Now you probably could run one on your BMW and never have a problem. In fact I'm almost sure that you could on say a 118d as its hardly a high output engine, you might have problems on a 125d or m135i.

As a side note I've met Daron (owner of TMC) a few times and he's a top bloke.

I've been thinking of contacting him and getting a TMC on loan for my 118d and doing a thorough test with dyno readings to support.

I'll let you know how I get on
Long and short of it: By all means do but it's at your own risk. Yes it does give a heavy whack of extra power but doing so puts strain on other components..
Appreciate 0