BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New Windscreen now auto lights and wipers problem?

04-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
matg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

New Windscreen now auto lights and wipers problem?

I had my windscreen replaced via my insurance company after I got a crack via stone and since then I've had what I think are two issues.

Lights:
I always have the lights on Auto. From what I remember in normal day time conditions when the lights are on Auto the green light does not show on the dashboard but only comes on when the either you go through a tunnel or you loose the daylight, then you seen the green light on the dashboard. Is this correct?

Since the windscreen was changed the green light is always on when in the Auto position.

Wipers:
I tend to switch the wipers to auto and adjust the sensitivity on the stalk as needed and let them do there thing as I drive.

Since the windscreen change the wipers at any moving speed in dry or rain go off intermittently about every 4 seconds. When the car is stop the go every 9 seconds. Again surely that does not sound right.

I have them coming back out later in the week to have a look but I'm guessing something has not been put back correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
When my windscreen was smashed (lifted the wiper to clean it, they aren't secured so it flicked off and the metal arm smashed it), BMW suggested I use insurance; that would be aftermarket and not gif enough on a two month old £35k BMW. I insisted they fit a proper one partly due to worries about the auto wipers and lights.
I eventually paid myself, made a noise about the rubbish wiper design and got refunded by BMW UK.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:29 AM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matg View Post
you loose the daylight ... Is this correct?
Nope, it does not look so. Don't loose the daylight, keep it tight!

They put your light/rain sensor into a twilight drizzle "mode" somehow. That might be due to a wrong windscreen: there are plenty to choose from depending on the car's equipment and the light/rain sensor matters.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 05:53 AM   #4
matg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Fixed.

Took all of 30 seconds. Plastic trim removed, disconnect the two wires, mirror slides out and there is a spring clip that holds the sensor against the screen. This had not been pushed fully in place. Push it in and green light on dashboard goes off as the lights are on auto and go on to DRL. Wipers on auto and a quick spray of water on the sensor and the wipers start, more water and they get quicker, wipe it off and they stop. Sorted.
Appreciate 0