BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Early oil change

11-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
RichardF
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 116D SE Automatic

Early oil change

I have just completed an oil and filter change at 1200 miles. Car is 2013 F20 116d SE, auto.
The terms foward and back are in relation to the car and not the way/position you are standing.
The first hurdle, as mentioned on other threads, is to find where to place you can locate the axle stands after jacking up. This is because the location to put each axle stands is the same as the one needed for jacking the car up. I therefore used the purpose jacking points to lift the car (I have two hydraulic trolley jacks) and then placed an axle stand under the suspension pivit points near the front. I left the two jacks in place and lowered the car enough to ensure the axle stands were located correctly.
For those that plan to do an oil and filter change but have not done so yet, this is how I went about it.
The underside of the engine has a protective covering with many bolts - no need to remove this. About 3/4 of the way back there is a flap with a securing off-centre cover. Turn this with a screwdriver and then guide the flap downwards (even though it is slightly bigger than the aperture, it will come down okay without damage). Hint: Fold the flap as far back (foward actually in relation to the car) as it will go - if not, the draining engine oil will hit it and go everywhere.
You will then see a drain bolt and I used a regular socket to remove it. Careful, there is a washer located on the bolt.
Once drained, replace the drain bolt, then the flap and secure using the off-centre thingy.
Now for the filter. Remove the oil filler cap, then the top engine cover by grasping the two forward corners, lift up sharply and then slide forward. Just forward of the dipstick is the oil filter and here I had to unclip the large flexy hose to get at the filter top. Place some towelling under the filter top as some small quantity of oil may drip at first. Unscrew using a socket. The internal filter will come out with the top. I had to knock the old filter out of the top housing as it is a "clip type" fit.
The new filter is fitted with the protrusion downward where it fits into a small hole (about two o'clock as you look at the housing in the engine). It fits snugly as there is an "O" ring on the protrusion. Fit a new "O" ring to the filter housing top then fit the top back on. It will click in as you push it and then just screw on as normal.
On refilling, my engine took 5.8L of oil.
Hope this helps.
Richard
Appreciate 0