BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Khan-Canelo post fight sadness

05-08-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Khan-Canelo post fight sadness

I've been waiting for khan to finally have a moment to showcase his abilities, namely his speed and endurance, but once I heard he was going on be fighting Canelo, I was extremely disappointed. I'm sure Khan and his camp were eager to set the notion of him having a weak chin aside, but they took way too much of a chance.

Seeing the first 2 rounds gave me the slightest hope that maybe, just maybe, Khan could last until the end, but with the 3rd round, I could see Canelo figuring him out and getting to Khan much more frequently. I'm not sure what Khan was trying to do right before the KO. When he went down and Canelo rushed to his side, I was afraid that Khan was seriously hurt, but thankfully he got up after a bit. Very classy move by Canelo. He definitely has my respect and admiration. I can only hope that he'll end up fighting GGG but who knows. Boxing politics will probably prevail and we won't see their fight for the longest.

I really do hope Khan decides to go back down to his natural weight and challenges Danny Garcia again. He took quite a few punches from Canelo so I'm hoping with a bit more defensive work he can get back to championship form.

So seeing as we obviously have a lot of members from the UK, how is Khan perceived over there? Any other thoughts on the fight?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

I was a bit interested in seeing this fight but wasn't going to pay to view it. Saw it this morning and went exactly how I thought it would. I like Amir Khan but no way in hell can he compete in that weight class. After Khan hit Canelo flush with his first 1-2 in the first round and barely moved him the mismatch was apparent. Yes, Khan would dance around and get some licks in with his speed as he does in every fight, but Canelo was able to walk through every shot and time his punches once he figured Khan out. Canelo threw that overhand right several times throughout the fight and barely missed on most of them. It was only a matter of time when it landed.

Canelo's lack of celebration immediately after the fight was first class. Most fighters would be jumping for joy after a knockout like that (hell, I probably would as well) but for him to make sure his opponent was ok before any celebration was a great thing to see. Glad he's one of faces, if not the face, of boxing at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Also, every time I see Khan fight it seems like he always has a few lapses in judgement or losses of concentration which leads to his demise. He was doing great against Garcia but just got a little too close for too long and caught with that left hook.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Classic_Blunders
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 BSM

He was walking that thin line agains the bigger guy. He had to be perfect and looked sharp but can't do much with a weak chin/getting hit with a perfectly landed punch. To his credit don't think many other fighters could have delt with that punch.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Buddy628
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Msport, MB GLK250

Canelo was to strong for Khan who can box but it was just a matter of time before the heavy blows take there toll.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

all i know is Canelo better accept the GGG fight now, and none of this catchweight nonsense
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #7
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36
all i know is Canelo better accept the GGG fight now, and none of this catchweight nonsense
That's what I'm hoping for. GGG said it right; there's no 155 pound division. I never understood this catch weight crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Blunders
He was walking that thin line agains the bigger guy. He had to be perfect and looked sharp but can't do much with a weak chin/getting hit with a perfectly landed punch. To his credit don't think many other fighters could have delt with that punch.
That's true. It just seems like in these fights hat Khan has lost, the other Fighter has had a perfectly landed blow against him. I'd like to see him bounce back but I wonder what his family will say after this.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysn View Post
That's what I'm hoping for. GGG said it right; there's no 155 pound division. I never understood this catch weight crap.
It really just makes Canelo look scared. He seems content to only want to fight smaller guys, instead of guys his own size to defend his own damn belt
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #10
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

OP why do you like Khan so much? Ethnicity?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #12
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Once Canelo started timing khan, id say about round 3, it was only a matter of time.

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m305
OP why do you like Khan so much? Ethnicity?
Part of it is of course, but I also like the way he carries himself in the sport of boxing. In a time where most fighters like to cherry pick fights to their accord, I feel that Amir Khan goes after those that the fans want him to fight. After watching his fight against Pauli M. (And demolishing him) it made me want to try and fight on my own. I got into boxing for a bit and began training for a while on my own before entering a fight hosted by a fraternity through the university I went to. It was a fun fight and while I ultimately did lose (in my defense, the guy I fought was well over 10 pounds heavier and a good 3-4 inches taller with plenty of experience), it gave me a new sense of admiration for the sport of boxing.

So, long story short, I like Khan's style and the way he boxes haha

Canelo is pretty damn awesome for being a superstar at the age of 25. A fight with GGG will be what boxing needs at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #14
Classic_Blunders
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If GGG cant get Canelo in the ring next I think Cotto would be a great alternative. Cotto still has some fight left in him and would be a good test for GGG. I'd pick GGG to win but think Cotto would give him a challenge with all of his ring knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #15
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Blunders View Post
If GGG cant get Canelo in the ring next I think Cotto would be a great alternative. Cotto still has some fight left in him and would be a good test for GGG. I'd pick GGG to win but think Cotto would give him a challenge with all of his ring knowledge.
Seeing how Canelo handled Cotto I don't think it would be a good fight. Cotto may have a little fight in him but he's on the decline.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #16
Classic_Blunders
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
Seeing how Canelo handled Cotto I don't think it would be a good fight. Cotto may have a little fight in him but he's on the decline.
I'm not saying Cotto would have a good chance of winning just brings a deeper skill set to the ring. Nobody wants to fight GGG and Cotto might do it now that he's on the decline with nothing really to lose. Rather see that fight than GGG fight another sub par fighter.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #17
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like Canelo has come out and said he'll fight GGG at 160....finally!

Really looking forward to this fight....just hope it comes to fruition!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #18
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not saying Cotto would have a good chance of winning just brings a deeper skill set to the ring. Nobody wants to fight GGG and Cotto might do it now that he's on the decline with nothing really to lose. Rather see that fight than GGG fight another sub par fighter.
I agree with you on that.

Sucks how easy it is for boxers to duck other boxers. The boxing commission should make some matches madatory, like GGG vs.Canelo. Although GGG is the "mandatory" challenger on paper, Canelo can choose not to fight him if he vacates his belts.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #19
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
Looks like Canelo has come out and said he'll fight GGG at 160....finally!

Really looking forward to this fight....just hope it comes to fruition!
Yeah, Canelo called GGG out right after the Khan fight. I'm not holding my breath for it, though. At least not for one in the near future. If you saw Teddy Atlas's commentary he explained why. Him challenging GGG could be all talk to sell a fight a several years from now. Canelo is a cash cow for Golden Boy and HBO. They generate a ton of money no matter who he fights. But if he happens to fight GGG in September and loses, his brand takes a huge hit. Might as well ride the money train for as long as possible and not take that chance.

What may happen is ODH will go into negotiations with GGG and offer him something ridiculous like 20% and a box of donuts for the fight just to show the public they're making motions to try and make it happen.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #20
Classic_Blunders
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
Yeah, Canelo called GGG out right after the Khan fight. I'm not holding my breath for it, though. At least not for one in the near future. If you saw Teddy Atlas's commentary he explained why. Him challenging GGG could be all talk to sell a fight a several years from now. Canelo is a cash cow for Golden Boy and HBO. They generate a ton of money no matter who he fights. But if he happens to fight GGG in September and loses, his brand takes a huge hit. Might as well ride the money train for as long as possible and not take that chance.

What may happen is ODH will go into negotiations with GGG and offer him something ridiculous like 20% and a box of donuts for the fight just to show the public they're making motions to try and make it happen.
Very true. It would be such a gangster move if GGG took whatever Canelo offered (outside of fighting @155). Call the bluff.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #21
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very true. It would be such a gangster move if GGG took whatever Canelo offered (outside of fighting @155). Call the bluff.
Haha. That would so awesome if that happened and to see the "Oh, shit" look on their faces.
Appreciate 0