BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > My first impression...

09-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
potts
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D M Sport +

My first impression...

Background: I'm en ex 1 series coupe owner, now with an E91 320D MSport.

My wife is quite keen for me to downsize and move back to a 1 series (but with 5 doors), so I've been anticipating the F20 thinking that I'll probably be investing... So I sneaked into my local dealer today to spy the F20 on launch day.

First impressions. Disappointing. I can live with the evolved Teutonic styling and have been 'adjusting' to it since we saw the first official photos. For me, the interior is a big thing, so to get into the car (118d, Urban, auto) to find solid hard plastics on the glovebox lid and door pockets was very disappointing. Not being padded/softened in any way, the feel of these plastics remind me of my 1985 Vauxhall Nova. The dashboard had the same surface pattern as the glovebox lid and pockets, but they'd not managed to get the two surfaces the same colour, though at least the dash had a slight soft touch. The blower vent controls seemed cheap and flimsy, as did the plastic around the climate/entertainment controls. Am I really sitting in a BMW? The Nav/Display screen looked as though it's been stuck on top of the dashboard - you kind-of expect that it might fold down, but no, it's fixed. The seats were non-sport (as you would expect in an Urban - which is about the same price as sport), but seemed super narrow and very flat. The seat adjustment controls on the side were in the same place as my E91, but the labels had been omitted as to what each adjustment lever did and the plastics also seemed very poor again. The only bits that seemed decent quality were the steering wheel and that bit of brushed metal (though reduced in size, compared to my old E82) on the front of the dash.

A salesman came over and I briefly asked him what had happened to the quality - he just muttered that the plastics were 'supposed' to have been improved.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. What also concerns me is that the 1 and 3 series share so much, so will the new F30 feel like this too??? Could I have been sat in a car that's pre-production (what with the seat controls not being labelled)? Were my expectations too high coming from an E91 and being an ex E82 owner? I've also driven a few E87 courtesy cars and thought they were quite good. I don't know.

Yours gutted (with first impressions),
Richard
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

You get what you pay for..it,s a 1..if you want a top off the line car ..buy a 5 serie..the you se that your 3 serie Are as a 1.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
I don't agree at all. The new 1-series interior is far better than the old, and there is no less quality feeling than an Audi A3. I'd say the oposite.
Of course it is better on the larger BMWs, but compared to the competition it is quite good.
      10-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The entry levels for the 1 series, X1 and also 3 series are not very good (in terms of quality).
Usually, if u decide to go "premium" u'll not buy an entry level model, but a good optioned one. Almost all the new BMWs bought in my country have a lot of options.
Instead of buying an entry level 'premium model" it's better to buy a "popular model" with more options.
So, I think that an M Sport 120d will be just great 'cause for sure Urban line is too "standard"
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj john View Post
You get what you pay for..it,s a 1..if you want a top off the line car ..buy a 5 serie..the you se that your 3 serie Are as a 1.
I don't agree at all : a one series is significantly more pricey than its competition, you expect to have a quality significant than a Golf for the money you pay. Personally I was never impressed by the quality of the E60 anyway!!!
I am pretty happy with the quality of my 1 coupe but the aluminum trims could be better integrated.