BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Bmw 1-series sedan initially China only?

04-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

"BMW Australia's head of product and market planning Shawn Ticehurst has reconfirmed the existence of a 1-Series Sedan.
It was September last year when the 1-Series Sedan was caught on camera for the first time and now a BMW representative has reiterated the company's plans to launch a sedan version of its entry-level model which was recently facelifted. However, availability will be limited only to China, but there are some chances of seeing it elsewhere sometime in the future as Ticehurst responded with "never say never" when asked by Motoring to clearly confirm the 1-Series Sedan won't make it to Australia.
From what we know so far, the BMW 1-Series Sedan will ride on the same UKL platform like the 2-Series Active Tourer / Gran Tourer MPV duo which means it will adopt a front-wheel drive layout. It will be powered by an array of frugal turbocharged three- and four-cylinder gasoline and diesel engines while select versions are getting an xDrive all-wheel drive system."

Source : worldcarfans

Is this report accurate? Only available to China at launch?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Petr0lhead
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F20 M-Sport

BMW wants a competitor for the Audi A3 Sedan and the Mercedes-Benz CLA. And I'm pretty sure they want this competitor in Europe as well.
Since it will be FWD, they might introduce it in Outer-China when the next generation 1-series hatch will hit the market and they both will share parts...

A 'China-only' 1-series sedan does not make sense to me since Chinas main sales are the 3-series and above.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 03:43 AM   #3
1wmb
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr0lhead View Post
BMW wants a competitor for the Audi A3 Sedan and the Mercedes-Benz CLA. And I'm pretty sure they want this competitor in Europe as well.
Since it will be FWD, they might introduce it in Outer-China when the next generation 1-series hatch will hit the market and they both will share parts...

A 'China-only' 1-series sedan does not make sense to me since Chinas main sales are the 3-series and above.
I hope they will introduce it in Europa soon after the China release!! I think affordable sedans have a great demand by young people, which canīt buy a higher class sedan. So I think it is not the right step to make this car not a Global car. And the reason that i could steal 3er customers is wrong. Itīs such a different car with much more different group of customers.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

It could be at least weird to drive a FWD bmw sedan!
Appreciate 0