BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Paint Peel under the Arches

02-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Paint Peel under the Arches

Hey,

My 62 plate 120d M Sport is in the bodyshop today for paint peeling under the arches on the front bumper bar. BMW have agreed that this is a manufacturing defect and therefore will be doing it under warranty. The effects can be seen on both sides just inside the wheel arch. I originally noticed this after washing the car, when the paint was lifting and sitting atop the pooled water on the plastic lip. Im also going to get them to adjust the bonnet, it seats perfectly on the passenger side, yet needs a real hard shove to make it click into place on the drivers side.

The Bodyshop reckons the plastic hasnt been keyed properly, and until they start stripping it back they are unsure whether this would peel back onto the front side of the bumper itself. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs, and if you havent looked, might be worth checking both the front and rear bumpers? The rear bumper appears to be fine on mine tho, although harldy surprising since these parts are all painted in different parts of the factory.

What are your thoughts?

Ive been loaned a 116i Sport in black that i picked up this morning. Nice motor, although i'm already missing the comforts of the m-sport pack over the sport in interior comfort. I do enjoy the sound of a petrol once again, and the turbo spooling is nice; its just a little underpowered from what i am used to. I might post up some more comparisons of the 116i vs 120d for those interested.

Heres some pics of the peeling paint, sorry for the quality and blurryness: iPhone pics unfortunately!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
Yes I have this too. Not bothered much tbh but will be keeping an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post
Yes I have this too. Not bothered much tbh but will be keeping an eye on it.
Thats interesting, least im not the only person. The bodyshop did say that if the entire bumper hadnt been keyed, this could peel around onto the outside. Im picking my car up tomorrow, so i will ask what the outcome was, as they said they wouldnt know until they started stripping it down.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
What does 'keyed' mean? I mentioned it to my dealer, he had a look, agreed with me said he would take it up with the 'paint' manager. Haven't heard anything since.
What was your outcome?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
elstoof
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

Roughing up the surface a bit so the sticky paint has something to grip, or "key into".

Last edited by elstoof; 03-02-2013 at 03:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstoof View Post
Roughing up the surface a bit so the sticky paint has something to grip, or "key into".
+1

Yeah, It looks like my bumper only needed a re-spray on the rear side, the garage did a real good job of the work, the front side hasn't been touched tho as a stone chip still exists. Was relieved about them not just 'painting' it all tho, im a believer of leaving as much standard as possible when it comes to bodywork!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I remembered reading this thread just before getting mine. Blasted the paint off the inner bottom part of my front bumper last weekend while using the power washer. I'm relieved to hear that it's only the inner part and not the whole bumper that needed repairing. i think i'll be following Tawia and just keeping an eye on it rather than getting it painted again.
      03-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
elstoof
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

Make sure you have a good check over before warranty runs out eh
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah dealer never got back to me. Thing I'm worried about now is I have a couple of chips on front bumper but how do I know if this is a paint issue or just good old stone chips? I also noticed its just black under the paint (front side) my last BM was white under the paint. Is this the plastic I am seeing just like the back side? Where's the undercoat/primer?
Appreciate 0