BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Upgraded Halogen Dipped Bulbs And Sidelights

01-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #45
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF20MJC View Post
Hi there can you post the exact items and links you purchased please. Looking forward to this challenge!!!
This thread may help.

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=headlight

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #46
nigelb
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 S + BMW M4 CS

Thanks for all this great information - I followed the link put up by logiclee and have ordered a full set of replacement bulbs - hopefully this will go some way to improving the current OEM headlights.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #47
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelb View Post
Thanks for all this great information - I followed the link put up by logiclee and have ordered a full set of replacement bulbs - hopefully this will go some way to improving the current OEM headlights.

Thanks
Please keep us posted, I too am really keen to do this. Does anyone know if the non-led set (links by logiclee) improve the throw and brightness of the headlights? I find that on a dark country road they dont stretch far enough ahead... im not too bothered about how they look on the car (ie the colour) as the oem bulbs are ok i guess, not perfect tho!

any info on this would be greatly appreaciated
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #48
BMWF20MJC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport Red.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF20MJC View Post
Hi there can you post the exact items and links you purchased please. Looking forward to this challenge!!!
This thread may help.

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=headlight

Cheers
Lee
Thank you . Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #49
nigelb
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 S + BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Please keep us posted, I too am really keen to do this. Does anyone know if the non-led set (links by logiclee) improve the throw and brightness of the headlights? I find that on a dark country road they dont stretch far enough ahead... im not too bothered about how they look on the car (ie the colour) as the oem bulbs are ok i guess, not perfect tho!

any info on this would be greatly appreaciated
Well I can confirm, the Osram Nightbreaker H7 bulbs are a definite improvement over the BMW Performance Bulbs I paid over £35 for. The rest of the bulbs - well they definitely improve the 'appearance' of the light emitted and provide a 'whiter' light. The DRL's are notable in this area.

I am not sure about the use of the Japanese Bulbs 55w H7 as my Main Beam unit, whilst they do produce a nice white light, I am not convinced of they are any better than standard.

Perhaps they just look sub-optimal compared to the Osram Nightbreaker Plus.

Strangely, the Osram, whilst being a definite improvement, still have a slightly yellow look to them to look at head-on - but they do deliver a very generous amount of light.

All the best and thanks for posting the details - I am a happy customer. All in only about £40 to change all the bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Notice that white light has some disadvantages compared to yellow. It works well with seeing things in the correct color and lighting up reflective materials, but the penetration in wet weather is not good. You also get less contrast, particularly in snowy conditions. The difference is easy to notice in fog. You can see further ahead with yellow lights, while the white light is mostly illuminating the fog right in front of the car, blinding the driver.

It is not a coincidence that many endurance race cars running at night use yellow lights.

If the light output was the same, I would take a yellowish bulb over a superwhite one.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #51
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

thanks nigelb and ovekvam. Possible stupid question here then: how come logiclee's shopping list post uses different bulbs for the dipped and main, especially since they are both H7? Is there any reason why i shouldnt just buy two sets of the NightBreaker+ bulbs? As i said in my previous post, im looking for the largest throw of light possible and not bothered entirely on aesthetics.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #52
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
thanks nigelb and ovekvam. Possible stupid question here then: how come logiclee's shopping list post uses different bulbs for the dipped and main, especially since they are both H7? Is there any reason why i shouldnt just buy two sets of the NightBreaker+ bulbs? As i said in my previous post, im looking for the largest throw of light possible and not bothered entirely on aesthetics.

Thanks!!
If you want the best output then yes go for Nightbreakers in the dipped and main beam units.

The Superwhites are purely a styling choice, I think they are slightly better than the standard bulbs but not as much light as the Nightbreakers.
I fitted them to match the side lights and drl's etc.

I have Nightbreakers fitted to dipped and main beam on my Passat that I use for commuting. Dipped on the Passat is also poor with standard bulbs but the main beam is like a 6 light rally pod compared to the weedy main beam on the f20/21.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #53
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
I have Nightbreakers fitted to dipped and main beam on my Passat that I use for commuting. Dipped on the Passat is also poor with standard bulbs but the main beam is like a 6 light rally pod compared to the weedy main beam on the f20/21.

Cheers
Lee
I have the same set up now, the lights (for all their complaint about how big they are etc) are rubbish. I brought my other half a Smart Car (she only drives around town really) and the lights on that are way better than the BMW..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #54
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

XTEC led DRL & Parking lights fitted..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #55
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
XTEC led DRL & Parking lights fitted..
Oraia.

Any 'bulb out' issues with the LED?
      01-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #56
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashed View Post
Oraia.

Any 'bulb out' issues with the LED?
I got a warning yesterday when i started up the engine, but then after a few seconds was gone by itself. I checked the vehicle status and there was nothing written there also. I guess sometimes may bring some warnings but really is not an issue.. Only problem, i wish they were a little more bright.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #57
mose999
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 116i F20

day light bulbs

I have just replaced my day lights for white Xenon. All works OK so far, no errors and they are bright white. They do look better than the yellowish standard lights. They are slightly less noticeable in the photo because of course they are the same colour as the background lamp holder.

I bought mine here, but Xenon 21W white bulb can be found in other outfits.
http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-daytim...20-p-4745.html
Attached Images

Last edited by mose999; 01-26-2014 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: added some info
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #58
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Nightbreaker unlimited

Just fitted NB unlimited h7 to dip and high beam on my wife's VW.

Huge improvement over vw stock bulbs.

Bought some H4 and swapped out bulbs on my motorbike - excellent.
      01-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #59
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Apart from my BMW on which I took the "Visibility package" option, I always get bulbs swapped out for white ones... it looks so much smarter and gives much more visibility. Always find it surprising that brands like BMW don't put these in as standard.

Would swap my front fogs on the BMW but I think I've only used those once since Sept 2012
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #60
rodolphobfa
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Guys, I am having trouble to change de H7 dipped bulbs. I get the bulb out, but cannot change for the new ones. Cant rotate it, it is like it is too stiff. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #61
AGSantiago
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series 116d ED F20

Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose999 View Post
I have just replaced my day lights for white Xenon. All works OK so far, no errors and they are bright white. They do look better than the yellowish standard lights. They are slightly less noticeable in the photo because of course they are the same colour as the background lamp holder.

I bought mine here, but Xenon 21W white bulb can be found in other outfits.
http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-daytim...20-p-4745.html
Following the link from your post, there are three sets of lights to choose from... do you mind telling me which one is the one on your pictures?? They are really nice!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #62
mose999
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 116i F20

Lights

Hello AGSantiago, the link above takes you directly to the lights I bought. I include it a gain.

http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-daytim...21-p-4745.html
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #63
jonesy001
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 M Sport Mineral Grey

How did you access your light to replace the DTR's? cheers
Appreciate 0