BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Question about 8 speed ZF gear changes

09-08-2015, 02:02 AM   #23
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Neglecting to shift in M

If you select M mode, then neglect to shift on slowing down, the car will switch to D mode and downshift for you. Once in D it will not switch back to M until you activate a paddle
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:08 AM   #24
padders
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Not angry, maybe just a little frustrated . Where I think we can agree is that there have certainly been software updates to the box since 2012, as there have been reports elsewhere of clunky 1st to 2nd shifts being fixed by new dealer software updates. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that there is a continuous update programme, both software and hardware as that is what a good manufacturer should do IMO.

Regarding whether the box is always sequential off the paddles, on the latest cars, if you leave the stick right and overrule with the paddles, a hold on the left paddle will jump change down to the most appropriate ratio for rapid acceleration. Holding the right paddle will re engage D. This is only with the stick in D not M/S. This behaviour is described clearly in the manual. AFAIK this happens on both the 45 and 50 sport auto box.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #25
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

Doesn't putting the gear level to the left put it into S mode which, if you don't activate manual mode (by either pulling up/down on the lever or using the paddles), is full auto but more aggressive shifts? Perhaps that's what happened the other day, dishy, you were in S rather than M mode?

Anyway, my m135i is having its' gearbox replaced as we speak (2013 model), so I'll report back if there are any major differences that I notice between the two.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #26
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishy
Another discovery regarding the gear changes on my M135, if I am in manual mode (gear lever to the left) the car will change up gear by itself when I am driving gently. I forgot I was in manual mode and pulled off from the lights gently. I noticed the car was waiting a while to change gear, I thought I was in sports mode somehow. When I looked at the dash the gear showed D and the car changed up gear but the selector was in manual. Just FYI.
No, when the lever is pushed to the left, the gearbox is in Sports mode, not Manual mode, and will still change gears automatically albeit at different (usually higher) rev points. It will be in Manual mode if you use the paddle shift or push the lever backwards/forwards when the lever is pushed to the left, and will hold the gears until you change...either using the shifter or paddles.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #27
dishy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
No, when the lever is pushed to the left, the gearbox is in Sports mode, not Manual mode, and will still change gears automatically albeit at different (usually higher) rev points. It will be in Manual mode if you use the paddle shift or push the lever backwards/forwards when the lever is pushed to the left, and will hold the gears until you change...either using the shifter or paddles.
Cheers, this explains that then
Appreciate 0