BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW M135i Concept Revealed and Announced for Geneva

02-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #67
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
and the award for the numpty of the week goes to ............... you sir.
and why is that? because i said what the vast majority says? that the front of this car is ugly..

and i have seen it in person, i have sat inside, and i have seen it moving.. side its nice, rear is ok, although it does reminds of Polo (my sister has one and i see that everyday)..

so i ask you who seem to be smarter than me..
judging by looks only, which is what i can judge because i haven't driven the car.. from what car of the competition does this look better?

VW Golf gti
VW Scirocco
Audi A3
Alfa Romeo Giulietta

they all look better, in my humble opinion of course
      02-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #68
PaulUK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

If BMW are listening to their customers they need to understand that the new 1 series is a disaster for them. 90% of people think that it looks like a dog.

No amount of tacky decals or M badges will change this. And I agree with everyone who is furious that they continue to devalue the M badge.

I've owned a 135i for the last 4 years, and it cost nearly £40k with all the extras on. Im looking into a new car, but there is no way that I would consider buying this.

The new 6 series looks "right". Why cant they produce a 1 series that looks "right"? It cant be that difficult.

So from me its a bit fat FAIL (as my nephew would say) on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #69
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
right so first lets get this right . back reminds you of a polo ? F20 backlights are an evoloution of previous gen 1 series. it was the new gen polo that effectively copied the lights from 1 series. but hey you are the expert.
ok, in all honesty, which of these two look more alike? and you didn't answer my other question

02-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #70
albertabahn
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Drives Nov. delivery 335i 6mt

Garage List
The employment of a straight six-cylinder petrol power plant featuring M Performance Twin Power Turbo technology with a power output of more than 300 hp.
Any thoughts on how the M division will increase the output of the N55?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #71
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATS View Post
How many times do you need to see a car before you make a decision if you like it or not?

The fact that you keep arguing that you need to spend who knows how much time around it in order to like it seems completely ridiculous to me. I've never understood the concept of "learn to like it". You either like it or not. Period.
When the E82 1 series came out I hated the way it looked. After a year or so it grew on me to the point that I bought one, and now, another year later, I look at it and I can't even imagine selling it. I think it looks epic.

And to the guy above, I'd be willing to bet that this car will simply have the N55 Performance Power Kit so ~320 horsepower. It doesn't make sense for them to engineer anything else when they already have a suitable power kit for this engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #72
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
still can't see the similarity and I would have answered your other question had it not been for your first comment which was nothing short of a childish statement instead of constructive criticism
childish? as opposed to naming me numpty of the week?

anw man, enjoy your car in good health. if we all had the same taste we would all be running around with the same car after all..
      02-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #73
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Looks horrible. Esp the front. Hate the new 1-series body style.
Terrible. Additionally, this waters down the ///M badge, which now makes me think about changing my mind pursuing the 2014 M3. With this, the individuality which used to come with owning that ///M badge on your vehicle will no longer merit the same value.

Also, the front-end of these things are seriously ugly, those headlights.... w.t.f.
If you buy your car for a badge and not the merits of the car's performance... Maybe you should be considering a different car anyway?

I did not mean that in an offensive way at all btw. I just feel like the name of the car isnt nearly as fun as the actual car itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #74
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
If you buy your car for a badge and not the merits of the car's performance... Maybe you should be considering a different car anyway?

I did not mean that in an offensive way at all btw. I just feel like the name of the car isnt nearly as fun as the actual car itself.
+1.

Everyone's been arguing over this so much these days. ///M started doing these 'brand-diluting acts' like more M packages (X cars, 7er, etc), heavy/big/less dynamic M cars (X5M, X6M) and they are still capable of making amazing M cars that enthusiasts like. Just read ANY review of the 1M or M5.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #75
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Colleagues who have driven the M135i say it is fantastic , agile , revitalised steering and chassis work by M. engineers have made a very exciting and appealing icon for the 1er and M.Performance brand.

Of course the adversity of hatches in the US means that this car will not arrive in the US... Well in this form it will not but the engine will feature in the X1 xdriveM35i. And of course the car will be offered in the 2er body styles of Coupe and Cabrio when those vehicles launch.

What does this mean for the 1 Series M Coupe successor or M2?
Well the successful formula of the 1 Series M Coupe remains in the next generations genes as an accessible and special entry to the M brand. Although this time there is no limitations to budget or imagination to how the car can be progressed but the car will lose some weight in its initial form.
It is not going to be a carbon-fest but it can progress later down that road.

I am sure the Audi and Mercedes competitors will touch around 400+ hp but do not expect the M2 to.
The 1er M Coupe is a car that is not about speed it is about enjoyment and that formula is very much in the foreminds of the engineers working on the specifics for the new car.

Because the 1er's has its home in Leipzig the production car in 3dr format will have its World Premiere at the AMI in June alongside the BMW 3er Touring.
      02-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #76
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

It's not you, it's me... I never ever liked BMW's hatches (1ers or 3ers). BMW doesn't know how to make good looking hatches simply because all the good looking designs are already taken. mind you they have great engines. Now, and I don't want to look pessimistic, I am sure BMW will not slap an M badge on neither this or the Xs.

EDIT: I don't live in the US and I have seen BMW's shitty hatches
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #77
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM33 View Post
BMW design is already going downhill fast.....and this M135i is conclusive evidence. This is by far THE worst looking BMW i've seen in a long time......in fact, i think this is one of the ugliest looking hatchbacks i've seen by any brand in a while.....
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #78
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Scott,

Will there be a 5 door version of this beast?

Wouldn't it be a perfect world if BMW only catered for the American tastes and nobody else... heck theres nobody else on this planet except America

Love the new one series... its not boring, but fresh and original. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #79
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUK View Post
90% of people think that it looks like a dog.
Utter rubbish. A totally made up statistic fuelled by your personal perception and only of the threads you personally have read.

Measure the public at large rather than internet haters, and only those who have actually seen one in the metal, then lets see what the numbers come out at.

This is a hugely important car for BMW as it brings drivers into BMWs from other brands and gives 3 & 5 series drivers who want to downsize an option to stay in a BMW. If you think for a second that BMW would put a car through the years that it takes to get from design stage to production without having a very clear understanding of the market and what people want, then you are a fool.

The fact that the new 1 series is selling very well I testament to that. I see at least one new 1er on the road everyday now.

We had all this negativity when the first 1er came out, and the last 5er for that matter. Its the same old rubbish from the same old haters.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #80
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Previous 1-Series > new 1-Series x 1billion
      02-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #81
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post

Disagree completely. While I understand where you are coming from, there needs to be a happy medium. For me I have to love the performance AND the looks. There are plenty of cars out there that are screamers but look like crap and I would never own because of that AND vise versa.
      02-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #82
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUK View Post
90% of people think that it looks like a dog.
I decided to do a little bit of analysis of this thread to disprove this ridiculous statement. Now this isn't very scientific but it is interesting.

Despite being one arguing in favour of the looks of the new 1er, i expected to find that the majority of people didn't like it, i just wanted to back up my claims that its not anything like what this guy claims.

Here's what i found

% of posts neither for nor against the new 1er, or expressing both positive and negatives: 20.22

% of posts for the new 1er 46.07%

% of posts against the new 1er 33.71

So why do we have the perception that most people don't like it? Could it be because the haters are just shouting louder than everyone else?

I wonder what the %s would be like if you stripped out all people from countries that are not getting the car. Even more in favour i would guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #83
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Appreciation or otherwise of design is to a great extent subjective. So we get it if you like it or hate it. There's no point arguing with others that hold a different view. For me, I was initially lukewarm about the design but having seen it a few times now, I greatly warmed to it, put my money down and pick up next week. Having seen the leaked images of the new Audi A3 and Volvo v40, I'm not regretting my decision. But as I said earlier it's all to do with personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #84
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee View Post
Appreciation or otherwise of design is to a great extent subjective. So we get it if you like it or hate it. There's no point arguing with others that hold a different view. For me, I was initially lukewarm about the design but having seen it a few times now, I greatly warmed to it, put my money down and pick up next week. Having seen the leaked images of the new Audi A3 and Volvo v40, I'm not regretting my decision. But as I said earlier it's all to do with personal preference.
I agree,

What i am arguing against is the constant hating that we seem to be getting, which as my previous posts suggests is actually skewing the overall picture of how the car is being perceived as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #85
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

QFT

Love the car, and love it w/CR even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF1982 View Post
Ever noticed how as soon as a post about the 1 series hatch back is featured on the main page, it attracts all the haters in? What i find especially amusing is that most of them seem to be from the USA where they have never seen a 1 series hatch in real life and where this car won't ever even be released.

Wha Wha headlights, wha wha M badge, wha wha polo copied last 1 series which somehow makes new 1 series a copy of the polo wha wha it wasnt like this in my day etc etc.........
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #86
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

///M stands for ///Market Segmentation
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #87
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Seriously regretting buying my 130i right now... Should have held on a 8weeks longer to see this get announced!

I will definitely buy one. My 130i is too slow for my tastes and this now voids any justification I had for modifying it!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #88
JSP
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i

The all important question: Will it have LSD???
Appreciate 0