BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Change in the driving behavior after software upgrade (?)

04-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
beamer116
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport

Change in the driving behavior after software upgrade (?)

Hello everybody,

The dealer performed a software upgrade. Then I noticed that the steering wheel became softer and the car seems to be burning more fuel. Fuel consumption jumps very fast to 20+l/100km in this red-line indication in the dashboard. I don't recall this happening before. Could this be possible because of the upgrade?

To be honest I like the softer steering wheel, but I also kind of feel the engine a little bit underpowered, but I could also be wrong.

The dealer also replaced a magnetic valve in the engine plus the wiring harness, sensoric module 1, because of an oil leak (!). Could this also be the cause of the change in the driving behavior?

Does anybody have a similar experience? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Dear beamer116. I recommend asking your dealership to explain your experience after the upgrade, and tell them you like the softer wheel , because only they know what they did for the software upgrade.

My only personal experience is for the dealership to reset the part of my computer that's responsible for learning my driving style when I complained about something else. However, after the reset I do not feel any changes in the car, any of the driving feedback, or any dash board dials. I am afraid your experience require your attention directed at the dealership and the software upgrade.

Changing the valves, wires, sensor modules do not change anything at all other than fixing your oil leak. Hope that helps.

Last edited by westphone; 04-21-2013 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: bad grammar
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
beamer116
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I asked the dealer already. We even had a test drive together. The software upgrade was supposed to fix something related to the windscreen wipers. He told me that maybe the softer steering wheel could be because of the upgrade but he was not sure. He also did not have an answer about the rest.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Check your tyre pressures?!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
beamer116
Rep

Good point to check my tire pressure. How? What are the optimal values?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Callthecops
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer116 View Post
Good point to check my tire pressure. How? What are the optimal values?
You can find he correct tire pressure inside the drivers door next to your seat.

I have 195/55/R16 tires and drive mostly alone.
Front: 2.2 bar and rear: 2.4 bar
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
fused7
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0 Xdrive

Had my 116i reprogrammed a couple of days ago. went in for my first service and it flagged on the system that i needed to be reprogrammed. Got the car back and comfort mode feels a lot closer to how sport did, and sport is defo a step up too. Handling feels better and the turbo lag is much more ironed out that it was before.

They must have worked out a few kinks with the new twin turbo engines and rolled it out. Perhaps that coincides with the updated 0-100 figures noted on the forum recently. updated management system?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
fused7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fused7 View Post
Had my 116i reprogrammed a couple of days ago. went in for my first service and it flagged on the system that i needed to be reprogrammed. Got the car back and comfort mode feels a lot closer to how sport did, and sport is defo a step up too. Handling feels better and the turbo lag is much more ironed out that it was before.

They must have worked out a few kinks with the new twin turbo engines and rolled it out. Perhaps that coincides with the updated 0-100 figures noted on the forum recently. updated management system?
Also did the drive to work today and i always have the journey info on. So I usually hammer it, well 15 min traffic then then 10 mins of highway and i usually hit arround 22/23mpg on that trip. Today, after this update, i'm getting 32mpg. interesting!?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
beamer116
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fused7 View Post

I also feel the better handling as well + differences among all modes are not that big anymore. But it also feels a little bit underpowered (maybe I am wrong) and looks like it spends more fuel. I see this red-line fuel consumption indication jumping up to 20l/100km too fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
fused7
Rep

Yeah you right, the jump sport had was more before than now. interesting
Appreciate 0