BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 116i - Bluetooth streaming!

07-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
anderoo
Rep
Drives: F20 116i 2012

F20 116i - Bluetooth streaming!

Hi,

I've got a 116i and I want Bluetooth audio streaming in it - when i researched the car i found it had Bluetooth and thought happy days, i was wrong! My research suggests I need to retrofit a combox or get a new headunit, however most people appear to have no bluetooth and just want to add it or are starting with an F30 and have a combox.

I can make bluetooth calls, but that seems to be about it.

I looked at my options in the vin checker, and I find i have these options :

249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel Multifunktion Fuer Lenkrad
6NH Hands-free Facility W. Usb Interfac Freisprechein. M. Usb-schnittstelle
663 Radio Bmw Professional Radio Bmw Professional

What are my options to get BT steaming audio?

New head unit?

I've read something about a combox, but people who were installing them appeared to have no bluetooth at all before.

Would be great if anyone has any pointers.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Just in case you did not find this (you did, of course): Enhanced Bluetooth retrofit advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:48 AM   #3
anderoo
Rep

Hi, I did find that post - thank you.

Regarding it though i'm still a bit unsure.

Option 1:
Buying a combox (and new stereo unit to support combox)
- My reasearch indicates I need an 'F20 Media Combox' - I spoke with bimmertech who said the media combox alone would be US$899, however on eBay i see used ones for ~£160. Is there a difference in these units other than new/old?
When i asked bimmertech they were somewhat vague in their response ("I don't know if your Combox will fit. We tested only ours.") I would have thought it's purely based on item number?

How can I ascertain if I need a new head unit or not? I think I need one with fibre optics in order to use the combox, is there a simple method to find out? Or am i going to have to remove the head unit from the dashboard?

Option 2:
Buying a NBT stereo unit.

I found an 'NBT install service' however this stated the car must be built after July 2012, mine was built April 2012 according to the vin checker - is there some significant change after July 2012?

Option 3:
Buying a NBT evo stereo unit.

I presume this would have the same question as option 2?

Thank again in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderoo View Post
- My reasearch indicates I need an 'F20 Media Combox' - I spoke with bimmertech who said the media combox alone would be US$899, however on eBay i see used ones for ~£160. Is there a difference in these units other than new/old?
It looks like not much (there's only one actually?): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=84_0883.

Quote:
When i asked bimmertech they were somewhat vague in their response ("I don't know if your Combox will fit. We tested only ours.") I would have thought it's purely based on item number?
They want your money, not a Combox.

Quote:
How can I ascertain if I need a new head unit or not? I think I need one with fibre optics in order to use the combox, is there a simple method to find out? Or am i going to have to remove the head unit from the dashboard?
From the other thread already mentioned you just do. If still in doubt you can, just for instance, check the list http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2307 for the one you should have and the one you need. Or simply(?) check the part number of the one you have.

Quote:
I found an 'NBT install service' however this stated the car must be built after July 2012, mine was built April 2012 according to the vin checker - is there some significant change after July 2012?
It looks like NBT popped up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDrive....28CIC-HIGH.29.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
anderoo
Rep

Thank you again for your patience in helping me!

So i'm a bit unsure how to read the Real OEM website.

But from what I can gather I'd need : 84109257150 (ComBox Media)

and my car has 65129270361 (or should do) in it.

But in order to be compatible with the bluetooth audio streaming it would need 65129270371?

So I'd need to get 84109257150 + 65129270371 + the Fibre cable, plus route if from near the battery to the head unit?

The 65129270371 has DAB which my car doesn't have currently but i presume that just gets coded, and i'll need to source an antenna?

Plus obviously the coding.

From what i can see on ebay the Combox + Headunit come to ~£550 at current prices, which is about what i expected. Plus i'll need to get the fibre cable.

If the NBT wasn't available until after my car was manufactured does that just mean I can't retrofit? Or would that need a new headunit/something else to happen? I take it the NBT negates the need for a Combox?

Thank you again

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep

If you aren't going to do the job yourself, why don't you simply find the workshop and settle with them if they can sell the "full package" at acceptable price or let you save by supplying the parts they indicate? If they don't know what it takes they shouldn't know what to do , if they insist you must buy the parts from them you take it or leave it.

Quote:
But in order to be compatible with the bluetooth audio streaming it would need 65129270371?
Why not 65129270363?

Quote:
So I'd need to get 84109257150 + 65129270371 + the Fibre cable, plus route if from near the battery to the head unit?
Are you sure that defines the additional wiring pretty well? Also, routing throughout the car might be not especially easy/cheap to do.

Combox Media Retrofit

Combox Retrofit DIY Success

Quote:
The 65129270371 has DAB which my car doesn't have currently but i presume that just gets coded, and i'll need to source an antenna?
So do you want DAB or just 65129270371 accommodation? There's some DAB Retrofit kit you might choose to consider.

Quote:
If the NBT wasn't available until after my car was manufactured does that just mean I can't retrofit?
Didn't they tell you so? You can query their (or others) technical reasoning for denial if you are going to solve it yourself or just look for those who can offer the retrofit and let them handle the details.

Quote:
I take it the NBT negates the need for a Combox?
What's the need for a Combox? You are looking for Bluetooth audio streaming. If NBT does not provide the functionality it's a pure excess in your case.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
pfreidl90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116i

If all you want to add is bluetooth streaming you can get viseeo tune2air. It's basically a y-cable with a bluetooth dongle on the other end, works really well.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
No one
Major
Rep

Lightbulb Just in case.

If you happen to want audio streaming you can simply get the Auxiliary connection cable. I use the shorter one for better sound quality. No Bluetooth, no shit. Works really very well.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
If you happen to want audio streaming you can simply get the Auxiliary connection cable. I use the shorter one for better sound quality. No Bluetooth, no shit. Works really very well.
I used to do that. The bluetooth option is however more convenient, as you can control Spotify from the steering wheel, and you don't have to connect the phone. Having it in the pocket is enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I used to do that. The bluetooth option is however more convenient, as you can control Spotify from the steering wheel, and you don't have to connect the phone. Having it in the pocket is enough.
I don't know what Spotify is. I like it the best I can have and stream (lossless!) ".wav"s even despite I still have the car's audio basic (I don't really want them to disassemble the cabin for Alpine upgrade).

I had searched briefly and it looked no control from the car was possible, that is one still had to take the phone out to start playback. No issue for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #11
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

Quote:
I take it the NBT negates the need for a Combox?
What's the need for a Combox? You are looking for Bluetooth audio streaming. If NBT does not provide the functionality it's a pure excess in your case.
A late but more precise answer (for those who might still wonder) I've just run into for a similar thread: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5#post14180835.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #12
pigboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116i F20

Have the same model as anderoo and it has Bluetooth telephone and I wondered - does anyone know if this is something you can just switch on with Esys? Surely if there's a BT receiver in there, audio is just being limited by software..?
Appreciate 0