BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW 116i engine operation malfunction?

04-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
maszl
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

BMW 116i engine operation malfunction?

Hi,

Let me introduce myself, my mane is Marcin, I am living in Norway and happy owner of BMW F20

It looks like I am having issues with engine operation.

First thing is engine kind of vibrating abnormal on low rpm, and now it came in addition rattling noise under bonnet, YouTube move shows noise from engine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4zbxYpMPc

Second on cold engine, when driving on gear and pressing clutch RPMs go down under limit that rises up and again down to correct level.
Additionally I have feeling that car is do not have full power when accelerating as it should in low RPM even sometimes i have difficulties to keep rpm during when releasing clutch pedal on first gear. Its second move on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b15MXCdZATQ

Can you advise if this this two cases are out normal? BMW service can't see any faults (warranty for my car soon run out).

Thanks,
Marcin

Last edited by maszl; 04-05-2016 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 12:54 AM   #2
Andoni.F20
Rep
Drives: AW 118i F20

the rattling noise is coming from the heat shield of the turbo, actually you can see it shaking in the video when it is "sounding" haha, I have the same issue with the shield, but only when it is under stress like when i release the clutch pedal without throttle input, you can tell your dealer to tight the bolts, if this does not work, with the engine off and completely cold "pull" the shield with your hand as strong as you can, this will "deform" the shield a little and maybe stop it from hittinh the turbo and causing the rattling noise, if it doesnt stop, try the other way, push the shield with your hand as much as you can, i did this and the rattling sound is gone

about your second question i dont know much, you could try doing a injection and throttle body cleaning, this concerning the low power in low rpm, also you have to consider the turbo lag effect from 0rpm to about 1800 rpm you dont get power from the turbo, since it starts to spool about at 1800rpms, pretty normal in turbo motors but quite stressing

about the second video i dont normally let the rpms drop that low before engaging the other gear, but later today i'll do the test and i'll let you know

i have a F20 118i 2014 with 76,800kms on the clock here in Mexico

Last edited by Andoni.F20; 04-07-2016 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andoni.F20 View Post
avout the second video i don normally let the rpms drop that low before engaging the other gear
Nor do I. I tried it yesterday by dropping into neutral in motion: it worked just the same. Never noticed before, neither worry now.
Appreciate 0