BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW i Vision Dynamics unveiled at Frankfurt IAA!
Closed Thread

09-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #67
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
So if I want to buy an electric car why does it have to not look like a normal car??
Because it's not a normal car . And doesn't cost the same as a normal car.....
We are at a point in time where the normal car (ICE ) are becoming more expensive to produce than a standard Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV). Rapid battery prices dropping will eventually lead to a disruption for the entire car industry.
Very true,

But currently their still holding a premium as they don't sell in huge numbers so their more expensive to produce currently just because of Amortization numbers. The tech is cheap vs a ice but the product as a whole has to sell similar to ice numbers to make them Main stream. That's why when they make an e-golf and e-smart those are a little cheaper for the manufacturer to produce as they share many parts.

Now however much the company wants to charge the customer is up for grabs.

The i3 engine new is only $1500 bucks and the i3 transmission is only $400, now that rocks compared to my N55 which can be north of $20k to replace!

But overall what really has me scratching my head is that currently theirs only so much lithium as a rare earth material currently their is only so much........much less than petroleum.

I remember reading if demand got so large and their where 100 giga factories made around the world we would run out in 16 years.

Of course theirs other options but with semi trucks starting to join the fold they require lots more batteries than cars and once the world changes and the EV becomes dominate I wonder how many years we will have before we have to go hydrogen or something!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #68
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Not bad. Has a if BMW made the Tesla Model S vibe.

Shocked to see they really went and filled in the "kidneys". Even though they sort of did the same on the i3 and i8, they aren't the "mainstream" market I think.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #69
lovemycar
Rep
Drives: m6grancoup

Now, that's a tesla killer!
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      09-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #70
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
If only 'normal' cars did look like this!!!
Now just wait until these, the Mission Es and whatever equivalent Benz and Audi are cooking start showing up in numbers. Your "normal" car will look and feel stone age very quickly. The Teslas already have some of that effect in my hood where they are plentiful.
Appreciate 2
nozydog465.00
      09-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #71
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemycar View Post
I know you love your cars but not exactly because it is not even out yet !
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      09-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #72
//M235ixD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 //M235i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemycar View Post
I know you love your cars but not exactly because it is not even out yet !
Wow now that is a nice looking car!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #73
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
This looks absolutely terrible. I'd never drive a car that looks like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #74
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Meh. A BMW designed by Tesla designers. Who received daily emails, texts and phone calls from BMW directors -- "Tone it down!!!" They did. Only slightly better designed than a bar of soap.

Bland doesn't begin to describe this abomination.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #75
nujabes24
Forever Rest In Beats
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafcin66 View Post
What's with BMW and concept cars, all promise no delivery (this car will be in production after 2021??? Maybe??? Tesla, Mercedes and everyone else will be on their next gen by then). I'm sticking with my M4. Bring on the new AWD system and get me close to 3.0secs flat in the next generation and life will be good.
Agree with you 100%. Would be funny if this is the next electric M3 though lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #76
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRL View Post
Looks great! This would definitely go head to head with the Model 3.

So is this supposed to preview the shape and some design cues for the new 3 series?
But by 2021 it will be just 3 years late
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #77
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Well, it looks better than the i3, I'll tell ya that
      09-13-2017, 12:33 AM   #78
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So if I want to buy an electric car why does it have to not look like a normal car??
We are at a point in time where the normal car (ICE ) are becoming more expensive to produce than a standard Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV). Rapid battery prices dropping will eventually lead to a disruption for the entire car industry.
Very true,

But currently their still holding a premium as they don't sell in huge numbers so their more expensive to produce currently just because of Amortization numbers. The tech is cheap vs a ice but the product as a whole has to sell similar to ice numbers to make them Main stream. That's why when they make an e-golf and e-smart those are a little cheaper for the manufacturer to produce as they share many parts.

The i3 engine new is only $1500 bucks and the i3 transmission is only $400, now that rocks compared to my N55 which can be north of $20k to replace!

But overall what really has me scratching my head is that currently theirs only so much lithium as a rare earth material currently their is only so much........much less than petroleum.

I remember reading if demand got so large and their where 100 giga factories made around the world we would run out in 16 years.

Of course theirs other options but with semi trucks starting to join the fold they require lots more batteries than cars and once the world changes and the EV becomes dominate I wonder how many years we will have before we have to go hydrogen or something!
There are other metal beeing used as well, more effective. The battery tech is moving forward fast.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      09-13-2017, 01:20 AM   #79
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very true,

By this time next year there will be a much better price point and even more battery makers in the market.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 02:59 AM   #80
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very true,

By this time next year there will be a much better price point and even more battery makers in the market.
That's the beauty of tech, I design cars for a living it's a great job, though as an industrial designer or "stylist" it does have its headaches.... theirs always tech we want to use but the platform won't pay for it but every day it gets cheaper and cheaper as the days pass. Not to long ago it was to expensive to do an all LED headlight for our vehicles or full digital displays (that was reserved for just premium vehicles) and now that's exactly what we get to do now as the price has fallen and now has become a true viable option.

Battery tech is no different.

It's getting more and more exciting as the days pass and more options are on the table.
Appreciate 1
akhter418.50
      09-13-2017, 04:16 AM   #81
eleniki
Alderran`s lost princess
Rep
Drives: A bit old BMW

looks great! really loved the show they made -

Last edited by eleniki; 09-13-2017 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 05:10 AM   #82
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very true,

That's the beauty of tech, I design cars for a living it's a great job, though as an industrial designer or "stylist" it does have its headaches.... theirs always tech we want to use but the platform won't pay for it but every day it gets cheaper and cheaper as the days pass. Not to long ago it was to expensive to do an all LED headlight for our vehicles or full digital displays (that was reserved for just premium vehicles) and now that's exactly what we get to do now as the price has fallen and now has become a true viable option.

Battery tech is no different.

It's getting more and more exciting as the days pass and more options are on the table.
Absolutely!

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #83
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Take My Money BMW!!!! Take All Of It!!!!
Attached Images

09-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #84
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
To me this new BMW i concept slots in between the existing Teslas and the Porsche concept in desirability and with that things are just as they should be. Congrats to a good come back BMW, now just get the thing out of the door. If the kidneys get scraped off in the push, even better
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #85
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
If only 'normal' cars did look like this!!!
Now just wait until these, the Mission Es and whatever equivalent Benz and Audi are cooking start showing up in numbers. Your "normal" car will look and feel stone age very quickly. The Teslas already have some of that effect in my hood where they are plentiful.
The teslas and etron look great bc they don't deviate so much on purpose.

This thing looks like r2d2 lol
      09-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #86
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

I like this. BMW should have a distinct design language for their all "i" cars.
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      09-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #87
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Where's the Hoffmeister kink?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #88
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
At least Tesla knows how to hide the Plugin.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread