BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Auto Sport Gearbox - Ability to hold the gear with high rev (with photos update)

08-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #23
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, 118d & 125i f20

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
Congrats on the new car hope your pleased with it.

I've ordered my 125i with the m sport brakes. I must admit I opted for these for looks more than anything. Hopefully they will also provide improved braking performance. Interested to know you thoughts on these.

Ps nice pictures........you've really set the benchmark. Now the rest of us will look like complete amateurs!!

I definitely LOVE the 125!!! I still haven't got a chance to floor the gas yet. I can lost my license anytime with that. It's great fun to drive.

The M-Brake really making a HUGE difference in terms of braking power. In terms of actual size difference comparing to the my normal 118 brake, eye measurement, I think the front disc is at least 25% bigger, rear disc is at least 50% bigger. Calliper is like 1/4 of the disc size.

In the real world, so far i never need to apply more than 50% of the braking power, and I almost feel like my 125 is jumping up, hahahaha, if you know what I mean. I have already gone through some fun ride.

I can guarantee the M-Brake is a HUGE improvement over the normal one.

And not to mention is look so much better as well.

You gonna love that!

Last edited by pierokwong; 08-26-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #24
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I see you notice effective engine braking as one of the benefits of the manually controlled automatic gearbox. On the 116i I have a manual gearbox, but the engine braking is still disappointingly weak. The car reports it is regenerating the energy, but I expecteded more braking power from this system.

When going downhill, I often need to go down to second gear to stay below the 80 km/h speed limit. My old E30 318iS could do the same hill in fourth gear, and that car had no energy regenerating system.
Unfortunately BMW use two gearbox in F20.

The normal series on my 118 & the Sport Gearbox on my 125.

They behave very differently.
      08-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchhok View Post
is there a difference withe these brakes and the brakes on the m135?
If that is the blue M-Brake, they are the same.
      08-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #26
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I think the brakes are the same. They exist in two different colors, depending on whether they are M Sport brakes or Performance brakes.
The Performance brakes is a very very expensive option. Even my dealer said if we are not aiming at track racing ALL THE TIME, M-Brake will do.

So far the M-Brake quite satisfy my need. MUCH stronger braking power than the normal one on my 118.
      08-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #27
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchhok View Post
Because I heard that the brakes on the m135i demand 18' wheels for the brakes... But I don't prefer 18'
I am not sure about an absolute correct answer to this.

But all I can say is, this M-Brake is a very very tight fit for my 17" rim. Literally it fills up the entire rim.
      08-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #28
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
Ps nice pictures........you've really set the benchmark. Now the rest of us will look like complete amateurs!!
Thanks for the compliment. I will try to get some time to do things properly this week. Just a quick snap before my students show up in my photography workshop. Touched up in PS tho.

Quote:
I like your "bad quality" pictures. Nice vignetting on the first one.
Thanks for liking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianB View Post
Congrats on the car, it looks great in the crimson !
Yes, it is!!! I have two in my garage now. Both in red 118 & 125.
      08-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #29
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Nice looking car mate, and I love those brakes! They look really nice. I reckon it would look more sexier if you had opted the bi-xenons. IMO those bi-xenons should be a bloody factory standard in every BMW!!

Enjoy your new car, and try not to lose your license.. :P
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #30
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Nice looking car mate, and I love those brakes! They look really nice. I reckon it would look more sexier if you had opted the bi-xenons. IMO those bi-xenons should be a bloody factory standard in every BMW!!

Enjoy your new car, and try not to lose your license.. :P
AGREE!!! That bloody Bi-Xenons are sooo expensive. BMW should make it as a standard.

btw, this is way too easy to lose my license on this 125. Really fast. Can iron out all corner to straight flat. The engine just scream out "push me harder!"

anyway, still haven't got a chance to floor the gas yet. Especially with the extra unmarked cops in Canberra ACT.
      08-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #31
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierokwong View Post
The Performance brakes is a very very expensive option. Even my dealer said if we are not aiming at track racing ALL THE TIME, M-Brake will do.

So far the M-Brake quite satisfy my need. MUCH stronger braking power than the normal one on my 118.
I think the brakes (M-Sport vs Performance) are the same, except for the color. The reason M-Sport brakes are so much cheaper, is that they come with the car. If you want to fit them after the car is delivered, they are also very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #32
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I think the brakes (M-Sport vs Performance) are the same, except for the color. The reason M-Sport brakes are so much cheaper, is that they come with the car. If you want to fit them after the car is delivered, they are also very expensive.
REALLY???

If that is the case, I am even more happier!!

Coz I am pretty sure the M-Brake is HUGE, much bigger than the normal. Stopping power is dramatically improved as well! The difference is too obvious.

Worth every pennies for the upgrade.
      08-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #33
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Sorry to burst the bubble a little here, I am informed that the diameter of the disc is the same on the front, slightly larger than the M Sports on the rear and the pistons are larger in the BMW performance units.

They are Inner-vented, lighter weight discs for more extreme driving and higher thermal factors.

They are Four-piston aluminium caliper on the front axle, two-piston aluminium caliper on the rear axle.
Available in M Performance Red, M Performance Yellow or M Performance Orange. Includes coloured M logo.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #34
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I looked up the brake sizes.

Stock size on a 116i M-Sport with regular brakes:
Front: 284x22 mm, Rear: 290x11 mm.
Ventilated discs front, single piston calipers.

Optional M-Sport brakes for 116i:
Front: 340x30 mm, Rear: 345x24 mm
Ventilated discs front and rear, 4 pistons front, dual piston rear.

On the M135i, these M-Sport brakes are not optional.
If you order M-Sport brakes for a 116i, you get the same brakes as the M135i.

Do you have any specs for the Performance brakes? I saw them next to the M-Sport brakes one time, and it was difficult to spot differences, except for the color.

Also the parts lists show both ventilated and solid rear discs for the 116i in the regular size. I don't know how BMW decides which ones to deliver with the cars. Maybe ventilated with the M-Sport package? I will have to check what mine has one day.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #35
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I will have to check what mine has one day.
One day turned out to be today. My 116i has ventilated rear rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #36
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Sorry to burst the bubble a little here, I am informed that the diameter of the disc is the same on the front, slightly larger than the M Sports on the rear and the pistons are larger in the BMW performance units.

They are Inner-vented, lighter weight discs for more extreme driving and higher thermal factors.

They are Four-piston aluminium caliper on the front axle, two-piston aluminium caliper on the rear axle.
Available in M Performance Red, M Performance Yellow or M Performance Orange. Includes coloured M logo.

AusF20, I am not sure who gave you that information, but I am 110% sure it is wrong information.

I just double check the standard one on my 118 and M Brake on 125 (sitting side by side). They are much bigger on the M version.

For the standard 118, there is a BIG gaps between the disc & rim, but the M version is filling up the entire rim for a 17" rim.

It's too dark now, but I will try to get some photo tomorrow for comparison.

Last edited by pierokwong; 08-28-2012 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #37
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
One day turned out to be today. My 116i has ventilated rear rotors.
Now I checked it again, and found the rotors to be massive. Last time I checked, I was fooled by a crease that is probably just there to balance the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #38
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

I was referring to the difference between the M Sport brakes and BMW M Performance brakes.
I also have ordered M Sport brakes (blue) for mine, as I do not think for road use the M Performance ones would provide any real advantage. If I was going to do a lot of track work I may have considered the M Performance, though I think I would have then gone for Brembo instead.

If you look at the BMW performance cat I posted the link for, you will see the performance brakes are vented, drilled and slotted and the caliper is slightly larger and a different design to the blue units.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #39
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
If you look at the BMW performance cat I posted the link for, you will see the performance brakes are vented, drilled and slotted and the caliper is slightly larger and a different design to the blue units.
I can't find your link. Can you post it again?
The ETK is listing the M-Sport brake rotors as drilled, vented and slotted as well. On the two sets I was comparing, they looked very similar.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #40
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Here I found two pictures showing the performance calipers and the M-Sport caliper. They look identical to me. The rotors are different, though.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #41
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

The consensus amongst the f30 guys is that they (MPP and M) are the same, except for the option of having slottted/drilled rotors on MPP..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #42
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

My dealer's technician says that the M Sport (vented / non drilled) are different to M performance rotors.

They are the same diameter, but the MP are made of a different alloy (vented, drilled , slotted) and the calipers have different pistons and seals.

I gather they are more designed for track days for boy racers.

That explains the difference in price.

I am sure that you will be able to get after market (vented, drilled , slotted) rotors for the M Brakes if you want that Performance look.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #43
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Does anybody have any link to technical info about these calipers, other than comments from sellers?

And what is the price difference? (Retrofit, not delivered with the car, which is A LOT cheaper).
Appreciate 0