BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > knocking at centre-steering on hot days, F20 LCI

09-05-2023, 07:54 AM   #1
carl0s
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i & 2001 330i

knocking at centre-steering on hot days, F20 LCI

Hi,
I have a 2015 LCI F20 125d

On a few hot days now, I have had a *very* noticeable knock from what sounds like the suspension or top mounts, when moving the steering wheel left and right.

Few things:

It only does it around centre.

It's a ZF steering rack, so the repair kit doesn't fit it.

Roll bar bushings look fine.

Everything seems tight underneath, as does the strut bar in the engine bay.

While I was under there just now to try to fit the rack repair kit (which doesn't fit..), I checked the RHS (driver's) inner tie rod and it seems fine. It's tight and stiff. I do have replacements since I read about that issue, but I need to get out in the car to a job today, and the garage isn't clear enough for me to get the car in and do the tracking afterwards, so given that the rod seems good, and I had a marker on the threads for where it should be wound in to, I just re-assembled. I have not checked the passenger side in the same way, but, it's not doing it at the moment anyway. It has always stopped doing it when I get home.

Anybody got any ideas thoughts though? I did make a video last time, I'll try to get it on YouTube.]#

It sort of sounds like something 'bushed' that's knocking. It's not metallic. I'd say I feel is resonating through the whole bottom of the chassis though, like the firewall or pedal area.

Every time I get home, the car has stopped doing it. It sounds pretty bad though.

thanks,
Carl

edit: Here's a youtube vid:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UBgOUPoa5Ug

Last edited by carl0s; 09-05-2023 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0