BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New in the forum, some questions about the F20.

09-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20 and Cayenne V6.

New in the forum, some questions about the F20.

Hi, I'm pochetemix, from Spain, recently I'm 18, and I'm looking for a new 1-Series or a new A-Class from Mercedes as a first car. Now I drive a BMW 320i (2.2L 170cv) and I have to ask you some questions because I'm not sure of which car I have to buy, but at the moment I prefer the F20.

- How is the 18i engine? I only tested an 118d from my dealer, because here in my town only has diesel engines to test and drive. I liked a lot, it was very nice, but I want it in petrol version and I don't know if these 170cv will be enough for me or I have to order the 125i. Compared with my 320i, is it good?

- Automatic Gearbox. How is it? I dislike the fact that we can not get the paddle shifters in the normal versions, just in the 120 and 125 models. I read it that it's quite smooth, but how is it in sport driving? I'm not sure about this gearbox, and I think that my first car should be manual gearbox, but if you guys tell me that the automatic gearbox is good, is an extra for considering.

- Any of you have korallrot leather in your seats? I see it very sporty and good-looking, but I have the fear of get bored about them. Is the red too dark? It depends at the photos, has one red tone or another.

- Has the 1-Series with M-Pack the Sport+ button?

- If I'll decide for a 118i, could I get the exhaust of the 125i? I don't like it so much with just one tail pipe. 170cv has to have at least two!

- Should I order the Snap-in adaptor for an iPhone 4 or just with the Y-Cable and bluethoot will be enough for charge the mobile, play songs and answer calls of the iPhone?

- How you feel the sport direct steering? Is it a must have on this 1-Series or I can save that money?

- Can I deactivate the Start-Stop system? I really don't like it...

And I think that's all, thanks for reading. I hope have it soon, love this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
boyboydan
boyboydan
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 118i

Buy it!! I didn't regret a bit!!

Welcome to the forum btw!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
boyboydan
boyboydan
Hong Kong
Rep

Have a look at my suggestions in BLUE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochetemix View Post
Hi, I'm pochetemix, from Spain, recently I'm 18, and I'm looking for a new 1-Series or a new A-Class from Mercedes as a first car. Now I drive a BMW 320i (2.2L 170cv) and I have to ask you some questions because I'm not sure of which car I have to buy, but at the moment I prefer the F20.

- How is the 18i engine? I only tested an 118d from my dealer, because here in my town only has diesel engines to test and drive. I liked a lot, it was very nice, but I want it in petrol version and I don't know if these 170cv will be enough for me or I have to order the 125i. Compared with my 320i, is it good?
Too subjective to give u comment.

- Automatic Gearbox. How is it? I dislike the fact that we can not get the paddle shifters in the normal versions, just in the 120 and 125 models. I read it that it's quite smooth, but how is it in sport driving? I'm not sure about this gearbox, and I think that my first car should be manual gearbox, but if you guys tell me that the automatic gearbox is good, is an extra for considering.
This I can tell you - Bloody good!

- Any of you have korallrot leather in your seats? I see it very sporty and good-looking, but I have the fear of get bored about them. Is the red too dark? It depends at the photos, has one red tone or another.
I dun think its too dark and I love it! Again, very personal preference.. To be, the red is just right!

Yup!

- If I'll decide for a 118i, could I get the exhaust of the 125i? I don't like it so much with just one tail pipe. 170cv has to have at least two!
There are plenty of after market exhaust for you to chose, even titanium..Just depend on how much u r willing to spend..

- Should I order the Snap-in adaptor for an iPhone 4 or just with the Y-Cable and bluethoot will be enough for charge the mobile, play songs and answer calls of the iPhone?
No comment coz I am an android person...

- How you feel the sport direct steering? Is it a must have on this 1-Series or I can save that money?
Sorry mate...again, you are asking very personal preference question. No one knows your driving skills or preference but yourself..

SURE! the on/off switch is just rite above the engine start button!

And I think that's all, thanks for reading. I hope have it soon, love this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

First thing you should know is that BMW 1ers all have BMW engines.
The Merc A class will come with a Peugeot or Renault FWD dirived engine.

The F20 118i will out perform your old 320i

If you cannot get the Sport auto in the M Sport version, go for a Manual. I think that the Sport Auto It is worth the extra money.

Don't bother with the adaptive steering in a 118i

Yes you can deactivate the auto start stop system

If your budget is tight go for the 118i M Sport and add HK & the connect pack

The red seats look really good in a white M Sport (look through the threads for other colours)

You can get the twin pipes (one into two) for a 118i so that it has the 125i look, see the theads
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The 18i is plenty powerful, and will outperform the old M52B22 easily. It does however not even come close to the M52 when it comes to sound or throttle response. It is almost like driving a turbo diesel.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep

Thanks for the answers!

I think I'll buy an 118i at last with this extras:

BMW 118i, Manual Gearbox or Sport Auto, i have to ask it in my dealer.
- Mineralgrau metallic.
- Korallrot leather.
- Fineline trim.
- M-Pack but with 17' wheels 382, not from the M-Pack, but I'm completely in love with them.

- Comunication Pack, which includes: Radio BMW Proffesional, Bluethoot, Multifunction Steering wheel...
- Cruise Pack: Parkassist, servotronic, tempomat...
- Visibility pack: Xenon, ilumination pack...
- Black Panel display.

Do you think I should order more options?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I would consider DAB-radio. FM is on the way out on many countries, and the DAB-version of the radio seems to have better reception.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #8
boyboydan
boyboydan
Hong Kong
Rep

See if u could see the red... it is a little brighter than the actual one
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
boyboydan
boyboydan
Hong Kong
Rep

I would really go for the auto box, as I think it will change faster than manual.

For the M-package, in HK, it comes with the 340mm disc with 4 port caliper at the front, and two pot at the back. I duno if Spain is the same, but it is worth the option. The suspension is also 10mm lowered.

For wheels, I further optioned the 18s because the 17s looks rather small. Then again, the 17s will be the perfect choice if comfort is the 1st priority.

I dun like taking the car apart a lot, so I have chosen the Harmon Kardon stereo. But for some ppl who is looking for hardcore stereo system, this will not be the good option.

I quite like the M-performance steering wheels because it is quite gimmicky and look sooooooooooooo cool.... I think I may go for that a little bit later....

Quote:
Thanks for the answers!

I think I'll buy an 118i at last with this extras:

BMW 118i, Manual Gearbox or Sport Auto, i have to ask it in my dealer.
- Mineralgrau metallic.
- Korallrot leather.
- Fineline trim.
- M-Pack but with 17' wheels 382, not from the M-Pack, but I'm completely in love with them.

- Comunication Pack, which includes: Radio BMW Proffesional, Bluethoot, Multifunction Steering wheel...
- Cruise Pack: Parkassist, servotronic, tempomat...
- Visibility pack: Xenon, ilumination pack...
- Black Panel display.

Do you think I should order more options?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyboydan View Post
I would really go for the auto box, as I think it will change faster than manual.

For the M-package, in HK, it comes with the 340mm disc with 4 port caliper at the front, and two pot at the back. I duno if Spain is the same, but it is worth the option. The suspension is also 10mm lowered.

For wheels, I further optioned the 18s because the 17s looks rather small. Then again, the 17s will be the perfect choice if comfort is the 1st priority.

I dun like taking the car apart a lot, so I have chosen the Harmon Kardon stereo. But for some ppl who is looking for hardcore stereo system, this will not be the good option.

I quite like the M-performance steering wheels because it is quite gimmicky and look sooooooooooooo cool.... I think I may go for that a little bit later....
Thanks for answering. Yes, the M-Package is the same here, -10mm and better brakes.

I considered 18' wheels, but I only have less than 3 months of my driving license and I'm afraid of break them, but in a future... who knows?

I'm also thinking about order the HK speakers, cause I really like listen good music when I travel with my car, and I think that's a good extra, but I don't think if it's worth, probably I'll add it to extras list, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
Nadav
Rep
Drives: F20

the rims looking good, i would prefer manual gearbox as well, and would take the 18'' rims though.
good choice and welcome to the forum
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

Quote:
Like Ove pointed out, it's faster (and more economical), but in return you get some turbo lag and worse sound compared to the 320i. The 125i has the same drawbacks but will be MUCH faster than both.

That said, I drove the 118i directly after driving the f30 328i (same engine as 125i) and it didn't feel slow at all.
At illegal speeds you'll of course miss power (don't try to hang with the Porsches on the highway) but it's fun to work the engine.

I didn't drive a 118d, but I found the 118i much more fun to drive than a 320d.

In the end I went with a 125i just "because I could", but I think I would be happy with a 118i too.

Quote:
- Automatic Gearbox. How is it? I dislike the fact that we can not get the paddle shifters in the normal versions, just in the 120 and 125 models. I read it that it's quite smooth, but how is it in sport driving?
I hate automatics, but everyone says the sport auto is very good.

Quote:
It's not dark at all, it's one of the brightest red leather interiors I've ever seen. I think it looks great (especially on White or Mineral grey) but my wife won't let me have it...

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Not from BMW, although I expect there will be an M performance exhaust some day.

Quote:
With the cable you do all of that.

With the snap-in you gain a connection to the sharkfin antenna and the possibility to use the BMW Apps stuff (if you get the Pro Nav).

Quote:
Wildly varying opinions on that.

I would test it before you order it. I couldn't, so I didn't order it.

Quote:
Yes, but you need to turn it off on each trip. Dealers in the USA are already allowed to recode F30s to permanently turn it off, so I guess your dealer can do the same if you complain long enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep

Thank you so much, nice to read that words. I think I'll order an 118i MSport, forgetting the A200 AMG. I have to ask my dealer for the Sport Auto and the double tail pipes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
boyboydan
boyboydan
Hong Kong
Rep

U can order twin tail pipe???? Is it an option???
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Thank you so much, nice to read that words. I think I'll order an 118i MSport, forgetting the A200 AMG. I have to ask my dealer for the Sport Auto and the double tail pipes.
Not sure if it's the same in Spain but in the UK you can only specify the "Sport Auto" with 120D, 125D, 125i, M135i.

The only difference between the sport auto and standard auto are the paddles on the steering wheel and a software change that allows the sport auto to redline in manual mode and prevents kickdown in manual mode.
There's no physical mechanical difference to the gearbox.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

If I drive a car in manual mode, and it does a kickdown, or shifts up by itself near the rev limiter, I get very upset. Why do they do that? Just to annoy the customers? If I want the gearbox to think by itself, I select automatic mode.

I could never own a car that behaves like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyboydan View Post
U can order twin tail pipe???? Is it an option???
Is not an option, but I'll try to ask for it to the dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
Not sure if it's the same in Spain but in the UK you can only specify the "Sport Auto" with 120D, 125D, 125i, M135i.

The only difference between the sport auto and standard auto are the paddles on the steering wheel and a software change that allows the sport auto to redline in manual mode and prevents kickdown in manual mode.
There's no physical mechanical difference to the gearbox.

Cheers
Lee
In Spain is the same, Sport Auto only with 120 and 125 range.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
If I drive a car in manual mode, and it does a kickdown, or shifts up by itself near the rev limiter, I get very upset. Why do they do that? Just to annoy the customers? If I want the gearbox to think by itself, I select automatic mode.

I could never own a car that behaves like that.
Totally agree. In my father's Cayenne I can do whatever I like while it's in Manual mode until 7.500-8.000 revs, no kickdown, no change the gear, it's quite good, however, it feels slower than the manual gearbox.

But with the Sport Auto I've read that in manual mode you can take the control of the gears, as you said, but I don't really don't know, I think I'll decide for the manual gearbox, after all, as I said in the first post, is my first car, so there will be more time to try Automatic gearboxes.
Appreciate 0