BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Oil priming. Crank without engine start.

02-20-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
pfons
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F20 125i M-Performance

Oil priming. Crank without engine start.

Hello to everyone!

After each oil change, before the first startup, I used to prime oil system.

On my "old" E91 330d it was easy, just pull out EKP fuse and engine was cranking without start, but on F20 125i after removing EKP fuse (20 Amp), engine starts anyway immediately! Probably holds enought fuel pressure, I do not know...

Please, would You give me any advice, which fuse prevents engine from starting, or where exactly is ignition/injector relay located in F20 125i?

Thank You very much for any advice in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Why would you prime it at all?

I can understand the reasoning if you have used an engine flush and know that all the old lubricant has been stripped or after an engine rebuild. But there is probably as much oil on friction surfaces after an oil change as there is after it has been standing overnight. You aren't doing any harm I would agree but I do think it's wasted effort.
      02-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
pfons
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
Why would you prime it at all?

I can understand the reasoning if you have used an engine flush and know that all the old lubricant has been stripped or after an engine rebuild. But there is probably as much oil on friction surfaces after an oil change as there is after it has been standing overnight. You aren't doing any harm I would agree but I do think it's wasted effort.
Thank You very much for Your reply.
I fully agree with You, it is a little bit of perfectionism. I used to do it + few more like a shorter oil change interval (8000-10000km), because a few people around me, did it too, and their cars pay back with many hundrets of thousands troubleless and power constant kilometres. I change my car every 7-10 years, so I did what I could to maximise health of my cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfons View Post
Thank You very much for Your reply.
I fully agree with You, it is a little bit of perfectionism. I used to do it + few more like a shorter oil change interval (8000-10000km), because a few people around me, did it too, and their cars pay back with many hundrets of thousands troubleless and power constant kilometres. I change my car every 7-10 years, so I did what I could to maximise health of my cars.
Ran my last car (e46 320d Saloon) for 12 years and never primed it and the car before that (Rover 418GSD Saloon) for 7 years and never had a problem.
      02-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

I have a little question.

I was told at a track day not to use engine flush anymore after replacing engine oil and gearbox oil. I was told that engine flush may have adverse effect on our engine crank journal and where the tolerances are very tight?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

pfons, you must be even older than me!! 'Priming' is a throwback to very old engine preservation techniques, where bearings and cylinder linings were much less robust than in today's motors, and mineral oils did not have the viscosity range of modern synthetics.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that it is quite redundant for modern car engines. I'd also check what other systems run when prime cranking as you've described it. It is possible some of these should not do so without ignition/start-up.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
pfons
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
I have a little question.

I was told at a track day not to use engine flush anymore after replacing engine oil and gearbox oil. I was told that engine flush may have adverse effect on our engine crank journal and where the tolerances are very tight?
I assume, it depends of brand/quality flush oil and strictly follow usage rules. I thing, that if necessary, better is to use engine flush additive to old oil filling few minutes before draining. Anyway, with regular oil change shedule and except special circumstances, there is no reason to use engine flush at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #8
pfons
Czech_Republic
Rep

I am 36, hope still young and fresh!
Ok, I give up, You convinced me, I will do oil changes with peace of mind without priming. Thank You all!
Appreciate 0