BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Metalic engine sound

02-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i F20 M-Sport

Metalic engine sound

So i finally got a 125i, love the interior and has good power.

I started it up today after driving home with it, and it sounded a bit of diesel engine, a metallic rattle on the left side close to the engine exhaust manifold.

Does anyone know what it can be?

Last edited by Bruno28; 02-11-2013 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i

Same here. From what's been said around a few forums; it seems to be a common side-effect of this particular direct injection engine...

Last edited by frashed; 02-11-2013 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Just noticed the sound clip. Haven't actually listened to it but will confirm when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

It is noise, during the cold start when the exhaust butterfly is closed in the exhaust for a short period when you first start it.
You can hear the pitch change after a little time.
The butterfly gate can rattle under exhaust pressure. Once it opens the noise disappears.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
It is noise, during the cold start when the exhaust butterfly is closed in the exhaust for a short period when you first start it.
You can hear the pitch change after a little time.
The butterfly gate can rattle under exhaust pressure. Once it opens the noise disappears.
Interesting... is it easy to access the gate and fix it open? Isn't there something similar on the f30?
      02-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashed

Interesting... is it easy to access the gate and fix it open? Isn't there something similar on the f30?
Yeah, there is the world famous golf tee mod. Actually I don't know if it has been done on the F30 yet. It is a very popular mod on the E46 330i.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
It is either the exhaust or the noise from the direct injection (same noise had my MCS and very similar is the 116i)...I think you don't have to worry, it sounds normal to me.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep

So I've disconnected the exhaust flap and it now has a nice little low end rumble - better than stock... sounds much louder on cold start but then quietens down.

Interestingly enough - the 'rattle' now appears when the engine is warm? Can't say I noticed it straight away like I normally would.
      02-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashed View Post
So I've disconnected the exhaust flap and it now has a nice little low end rumble - better than stock... sounds much louder on cold start but then quietens down.

Interestingly enough - the 'rattle' now appears when the engine is warm? Can't say I noticed it straight away like I normally would.
The rattle on my is one idle until about 2000rpm.

Hows the sound with the exhaust flap disconnected? Better? Louder?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
AussieSimon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Quote:
So I've disconnected the exhaust flap
Can anyone tell me what the intended purpose of this flap is? What downsides might there be for doing this modification?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
The rattle on my is one idle until about 2000rpm.

Hows the sound with the exhaust flap disconnected? Better? Louder?
More low-rev noise around idle and take off, particularly with everyday driving you can hear the exhaust resonate a little more through the cabin, down-shifting sounds nicer, top end is exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSimon View Post
Can anyone tell me what the intended purpose of this flap is? What downsides might there be for doing this modification?
Emission regulations from what my dealer told me. It blocks the left tailpipe until the revs hit a certain range, at which point the flap opens up producing a more aggressive sound.

The only minor downside is the dealer can see you've unplugged it. Whether or not it voids anything... I'm not sure. I've taken my car in twice for warranty servicing, plugged it back in before dropping the car off, and so far they haven't said anything.
      01-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #11
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
More low-rev noise around idle and take off, particularly with everyday driving you can hear the exhaust resonate a little more through the cabin, down-shifting sounds nicer, top end is exactly the same.

Emission regulations from what my dealer told me. It blocks the left tailpipe until the revs hit a certain range, at which point the flap opens up producing a more aggressive sound.

The only minor downside is the dealer can see you've unplugged it. Whether or not it voids anything... I'm not sure. I've taken my car in twice for warranty servicing, plugged it back in before dropping the car off, and so far they haven't said anything.
Are you still using this mod? Do you have a DIY?
      01-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I still haven't done this to mine. But i can hear the flap opening between 10-20km/h.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
Eddie_4130
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 116i M Sport

Turbo heat shield

I had this for a 2 months and it first started at about 12,000 miles. It made the engine sound terrible but only really noticeable at idle.

If you start the engine and then hold something on the turbo heat shield (careful could be very hot) the noise should stop. This should indicate if it is the same issue.

It was resolved by having the turbo heat shield (behind the cat) replaced under warranty.

BMW denied it initially and said it was 'normal'. I had to ask them to have two inspections

If they say it is normal to you, just ask them to start a brand new F20 next to yours and listen to them both.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #14
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_4130 View Post
I had this for a 2 months and it first started at about 12,000 miles. It made the engine sound terrible but only really noticeable at idle.

If you start the engine and then hold something on the turbo heat shield (careful could be very hot) the noise should stop. This should indicate if it is the same issue.

It was resolved by having the turbo heat shield (behind the cat) replaced under warranty.

BMW denied it initially and said it was 'normal'. I had to ask them to have two inspections

If they say it is normal to you, just ask them to start a brand new F20 next to yours and listen to them both.
So after they changed it, its perfect?
      01-26-2015, 02:31 AM   #15
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 118i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_4130

Edfie_4130,

I have this exact issue right now.
BMW said it was normal after an extended stay and the dealers following a service. The dealer sent a recording of the noise to BMW UK. The response (which I have in writing) was, "this is a normal for this engine".
I don't agree, it sounds terrible.

How did you get the warranty work through?????

D
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
Microlite
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dape90 View Post
Edfie_4130,

I have this exact issue right now.
BMW said it was normal after an extended stay and the dealers following a service. The dealer sent a recording of the noise to BMW UK. The response (which I have in writing) was, "this is a normal for this engine".
I don't agree, it sounds terrible.

How did you get the warranty work through?????

D
Hi Guys,

I feel my post may be beneficial to other members with the same problem and I will give as much detail as possible, this could result in a long post but I really believe it will be worth the read.

The above post is the exact experience I had with my local dealer. I had my 125i M Sport since Dec 2012. I have 14K on the clock now, at around 11K the engine started making this strange noise at idle and up to around 1500 revs. My local dealer kept telling me it was normal.

I took the car to my local dealer for its service around Christmas time and made it clear to them that I was not happy with the excessive noise and I wanted something done about it.

They got their Master Mechanic to listen to it and again I was told all 125i's are the same. I asked him to find another 125i so that we could compare the noise, he said he would arrange it and asked me to come back just after new year. I went there as arranged, the MM told me to leave the car and that he was going to update the software of my car which may reduce the noise and he would have another car for me to listen to when I went to collect the car in the evening.

When I went to collect the car he had already gone home and there was no other similar car to compare the noise to. He had however left a message that they could spend thousands of pounds on the car and the engine noise would not change in the slightest.

I of course left the place in a rage and decided I would take matters into my own hands. I had had a bad experience with the dealer in the past and I wasn't going to let them mess me around again.

I got on the net and found a local indy, I contacted them and asked if they had serviced or worked on a similar car and if they were expecting one soon would they contact me so that I could compare the engine noise. They contacted me a few days later to say they were getting one in on Saturday and I could drive round there if I wanted to.

I went there and listened to the 2 cars and they sounded totally different. I spoke to their Master Mechanic and told him of my experience with my local BMW dealer. He advised me not to give up and to pursue the matter as my engine sounded cr*p.

On my way home I called my dealer and made an appointment for Tuesday. Monday 1st thing I called BMW UK and explained everything in detail to a very sympathetic lady. I asked her to assist me with this matter as I had no confidence in my local dealer.

She assured me they would examine the car thoroughly and they will record the engine noise for her and her chief engineer to listen to.

The car went in 9 o'clock Tuesday by 3 o'clock I was contacted by them and told that the car was indeed excessively noisy and that they would arrange a loan car and take my car in for 5 days to resolve the matter. They explained that this will be a process of elimination and that the first item to be replaced were the injectors. The car goes in on the 9th of Feb so I will keep you posted.

I have read on other forums of this problem and dealers trying to fob people of by saying its how the car sounds because of direct fuel injection and high pressure fuel pump etc. Don't let them get away with it. Fight your corner and get your car sounding/performing as it should do.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #17
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep

Thanks Microlite for that interesting read. I will be interested to hear what happens next.
      01-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #18
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Microlite,

Thank you so much for the post reply. This is when the forum becomes a powerful tool.

Can you keep us up to date on the outcome of your car.
Over the last few days since the temperature has dropped my car sounds even worse. In fact I am now noticing this when driving. Almost like a nail is kicking around in the turbo (which obviously could never happen).

I have owned a few cars in my time and so far this car is the worst sounding! (Not including my STI 5 RA, that was quite simply a bag of s**t, that went wrong a lot)!

Best of luck.

D
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Microlite,
did yours sound like in the video I posted?
cause I've seen a 328i which has same n 20 engine and it sounded the same as mine.
It's a diesel engine sound while in idle. is that what yours sound like ?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #20
Microlite
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i M Sport

Hi Bruno28, I listened to your engine sound and it seems like to first 6 seconds of your recording sounds similar to my engine. In my case the noise is very noticeable at idle to around 1800-2000rpm.

If your local dealer is not much help contact BMW direct.

@Dape90, This is my 3rd 1 series and if I have to be honest the most disappointing one. Your description of the noise sounds serious. If you're local dealer is not helpful then BMW UK should be contacted ASAP. I would not have had my car seen to had I not contacted BMW UK. Best of luck and I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #21
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Microlite, I'll try, but they are so useless. I had my suspension noise and it took months. After all nothing fixed. And I gave up. Then the noise stopped out of nowhere.

Definetly let me know what happens. Cause then I can know if it's really a problem or normal "direct injection" engine sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #22
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microlite
Hi Bruno28, I listened to your engine sound and it seems like to first 6 seconds of your recording sounds similar to my engine. In my case the noise is very noticeable at idle to around 1800-2000rpm.

If your local dealer is not much help contact BMW direct.

@Dape90, This is my 3rd 1 series and if I have to be honest the most disappointing one. Your description of the noise sounds serious. If you're local dealer is not helpful then BMW UK should be contacted ASAP. I would not have had my car seen to had I not contacted BMW UK. Best of luck and I will keep you posted.
Thank you for the advice.

I am a bit disappointed with my 1 series.
The sound from the engine took the shine off the ownership. Plus the way the active suspension works raising some short comings in the car. I should have gone for standard springs.

Apart from the sound system it's just boring. If it wasn't rear wheel drive then it would be horrible. Plus I probably won't have gone for it in the first place.

I will contact BMW in a week once work has calmed down a bit.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

D
Appreciate 0