BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Navigation Business vs Professional? difference?

02-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #23
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i F20 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
if you are spending money on business nav... just do yourself a favour and swallow the other £500

you will kick yourself for the life of the car for not doing so otherwise, it's far superior!
The one I might be getting has the Business already. Its second hand, so no other option

But at east song title and album artwork show up on Business?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

The navigation professional includes the below additional features:

- 8,8" display instead of 6,5".
- Extended black panel display in the instrument cluster.
- 12GB HDD storage for music.
- DVD player to watch movies.
- 3D navigation and Arrow view. Arrow view also shown in the extended instrument panel.
- Real time traffic information (country specific).
- Split screen functionality. e.g.., you can have navigation on the 2/3 of the display and in the rest 1/3 show voyage computer, entertainment details, etc.
-You can save pre designed navigation Routes you made at your pc at home or use from a list of available ones in the system.
- You get power & torque gauges (that i think if you also have the Sport+ function that comes with either an automatic gearbox or sports variable steering or adaptive suspension).
- Idrive controller with additional shortcut buttons.
- Voice Control.

It also forms the base for a list of other additional features that BMW sells separately as options, namely:

- Apps option where you can have facebook, twitter, web radio, news, etc.
- PlugIn functionality together with Apps option and media adapter for iPhone for navigating though you music list in the phone.
- Internet option.
- BMW Online
- BMW Assist, teleservices, emergency call. (country specific and some features need subscription)
- Google search
- TV function module
- Safety features such as Camera speed limits, lane departure warning, etc.
- Park assist.

Maybe i forget something but mainly thats it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #25
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
- Idrive controller with additional shortcut buttons.
- Voice Control.
Idrive controller with bus nav is the same.

My understanding is that voice control is tied into the advanced bluetooth option, not nav. It's fairly useless as is most voice control systems to be honest.

My mom just got a 2013 528i with prof nav, it is a VERY impressive system. With an amazing screen and incredible graphics and clarity.

My 125i on order has the bus nav spec'd so it will be interesting to compare the two, although I've already used the latest bus nav on rental cars, it still does stuff like show you which lanes you need to be in at a junction and has quite good graphics.

In terms of other benefits of the prof nav:

The hard drive, well you can only load music off a cd or DVD, not an ipod or memory stick. I haven't used CD's in years, so to make one just to load the music onto the car, what's the point?

DVD player, yeah I've got movies showing on it, which turn off as soon as the car starts moving. But you can still hear the sound. Again, not really a feature that I think offers more than novelty value.

It is nice to be able to show a map on the one side and other info on the other. But on bus nav you can just push the nav button on the idrive controller to bring up a map, then push say media to go back to your ipod (which shows album art and all that)

Don't get me wrong, if money wasn't an issue I'd have gone for prof nav of course But there are so many options I've added to the car, and so many I also wanted but decided not to take, at some point you need to start making a few compromises. Bus nav + harman/kardon = the same money as prof nav, a better trade off for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #26
elstoof
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

I was all set for business then decided the black panel display would be nice for a hundred odd quid. After that the difference between business and prof was negligible. Glad I've gone for professional now.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #27
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
Idrive controller with bus nav is the same.
Are you sure? Because there is also this other simpler controller like the pictures below.

My understanding is that voice control is tied into the advanced bluetooth option, not nav. It's fairly useless as is most voice control systems to be honest.
I have to admit that i don't use it very often, but sometimes comes very handy and i believe they have done a really good job this time.

My mom just got a 2013 528i with prof nav, it is a VERY impressive system. With an amazing screen and incredible graphics and clarity.
The 3D nav screen is very impressive indeed.

My 125i on order has the bus nav spec'd so it will be interesting to compare the two, although I've already used the latest bus nav on rental cars, it still does stuff like show you which lanes you need to be in at a junction and has quite good graphics.

In terms of other benefits of the prof nav:

The hard drive, well you can only load music off a cd or DVD, not an ipod or memory stick. I haven't used CD's in years, so to make one just to load the music onto the car, what's the point?
Wrong. You can load music & routes from mp3, ipod, etc from the USB socket located in the passenger glove box.

DVD player, yeah I've got movies showing on it, which turn off as soon as the car starts moving. But you can still hear the sound. Again, not really a feature that I think offers more than novelty value.
You can have it unlocked very easily with the dvd in motion software. Its only software, http://www.dvdinmotion.com.

It is nice to be able to show a map on the one side and other info on the other. But on bus nav you can just push the nav button on the idrive controller to bring up a map, then push say media to go back to your ipod (which shows album art and all that)

Don't get me wrong, if money wasn't an issue I'd have gone for prof nav of course But there are so many options I've added to the car, and so many I also wanted but decided not to take, at some point you need to start making a few compromises. Bus nav + harman/kardon = the same money as prof nav, a better trade off for me.
That makes sense. I went for the prof mainly because i wanted the PlugIn option. I have all my music on the iPhone and i wanted the interface for it on the idrive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #28
Aspe
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

The Controller on the right is from the Radio Professional.
With navigation (Business or Prof.) you always get t he controller on the left.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #29
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Albeit slightly different printing on the buttons, I think. I'm pretty sure mine says "Media" instead of "CD". I also think it says "Phone" instead of "Tel". But yeah, the controller and the layout is the same.

After just one day with my F20, I'm loving the iDrive, but I will probably soon be envious of those with the new pro navi from March. And I'll be even more envious of those with the new controller which I think will arrive with the July production.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #30
Aspe
Private
Germany
Rep

"CD" was changed to "Media" end of 2012. I guess even BMW realized that nobody uses CDs anymore in cars.
"Phone" instead of "Tel(efon)" is the difference between international / german version. But I'll check later when I drive home.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I just thinks its nice to have a big screen and all the features with the pro Nav, I think it's worth it, makes the car feel a bit more special
      02-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #32
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe View Post
"Phone" instead of "Tel(efon)" is the difference between international / german version. But I'll check later when I drive home.
I'm sorry, I was wrong. It says "Tel" on mine. I'm not sure why I thought it said "Phone"...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #33
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
That makes sense. I went for the prof mainly because i wanted the PlugIn option. I have all my music on the iPhone and i wanted the interface for it on the idrive.
I'm 100% sure about the nav controller the one you showed with nav and radio/cd buttons is what you get on bus nav too. The basic nav controller you showed in the smaller pic comes with idrive without any nav. The ability to change between the screens quickly using those buttons is the next best thing to prof nav where it gets displayed in split screen.

As for the rest, thanks for the reply. I'm learning to work with the voice control, I.E. call up the relevant screen using the idrive button and then use voice control function for that. It's useful for dialling a phone number... but I've experienced a lot of cars with voice control.. it's just not quite as good as you'd hoped it would be. I expect to have it in my car with the extended bluetooth, but I'll let you know.

Interestingly in my moms car, the media player in phone option wasn't selected, yet I can play music over bluetooth from my iphone no problem! Lets see if mine has the same. (on the of the rental cars I drove with bus nav and extended bluetooth selected could do it, the other without extended bluetooth but bus nav couldn't)

Thanks for the info regarding the hard drive and DVD

If going for the full prof nav doesn't mess with your budget, I'd say go for it, it is really cool. But I really just got the system so that I didn't have a tomtom stuck to the windscreen ruining the atmosphere of my painstakingly chosen interior. I was well over budget by the time I selected that!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #34
aw8
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

Does the business nav only have 2D (top-down) view for the map, or does it allow birds-eye/perspective view?
At 1:18 of the video:

...it appears to show some sort of perspective view on a navigation system with a smaller screen (albeit in a previous gen 1 series), however I haven't seen this anywhere else.

Last edited by aw8; 02-23-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #35
Aspe
Private
Germany
Rep

Nav Business also has Bird-Eye/Perspective View, but without 3D Buildings.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #36
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes 190E 2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe View Post
Nav Business also has Bird-Eye/Perspective View, but without 3D Buildings.
Didn't know that! Thought it only had plane view, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
white 125M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White 125 M Sport

So, just wondered how those with Business Nav were finding it? Are you happy with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #38
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstoof
No torque gauges on business nav.

I had ordered the business, which is about 450 less than pro in the UK. Then decided I might as well get the black panel display for a measly 125 quid, but it's standard with pro so the difference between the two nav's is suddenly only about 300... So called the dealer and upgraded.

It's almost as though BMW had planned it all along somehow
In Australia the business upgrade is $1800 and the pro is $3500. I got the business and added black panel. I couldn't justify the massive jump to the pro. Definitely not worth it here IMO. I had the pro on a loan car for about a week and the business on mine is just as good
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #39
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I agree...and wish that I'd been more aware of the black panel and benefits. Just my 2c.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #40
FakePockets
Rep
Drives: M135i

I'm a bit of a tosser - I ordered Professional just because I feel the larger screen/better graphics make the whole interior look much better. Either option feels really expensive and not really worth it to me..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #41
white 125M
Private First Class
Rep

Black panel? is that the same as the extended panel underneath the tacho? Don't think I've heard of the black panel.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #42
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue 335i
Black panel? is that the same as the extended panel underneath the tacho? Don't think I've heard of the black panel.
Black panel is same as extended instrument cluster option
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #43
white 125M
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 04:20 AM   #44
Topoftheflop
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M Sport

I have a 2013 335i with what i think is the Pro Nav.

I can't see DAB radio however when i go to radio and back click. I only see AM FM ???

My friend has a 320D M sport and the smaller nav and he has DAB?

Is that possible?
Appreciate 0