BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > American Endurance Racing - The Crash at Palmer Motorsports: Crash Lessons Learned

06-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

American Endurance Racing - The Crash at Palmer Motorsports: Crash Lessons Learned

I've driven a couple races in the AER series and hope to do a couple this season.
The crew at Man Cave racing helped us out last season where we ended up finishing third overall at the NJMP event. They are a great bunch of guys for sure!
Background:
Background on the incident: Car 272 is/was a 1993 BMW E36 prepared primarily for endurance racing, initially ChumpCar, later BMW Club Racing and American Endurance Racing. It was developed enough to be a front runner in its class and often overall. Piloted by its four owners, experienced drivers and instructors, it was a solid performer.
In June 2016 at Palmer Racetrack in Massachusetts 272 had finished 2nd in class at the Saturday AER event. It was leading its class and second overall with two hours to go when a dropped tire on the outside of a left hand bend heading onto the main straight sending the car into the rock embankment on the left side of the track. On board video and date indicate that the impact speed was at least 80 mph and mostly head on.
The car was launched up the embankment, rolling the car with it landing on its roof. The engine and transmission were ejected from the vehicle as a unit. The driveshaft was severed behind the flex coupling at the output of the transmission. The exhaust was snapped at the collector.
The damage to the car was impressive yet the driver remained conscious and alert the whole time. He was helped from the vehicle by people from other teams who saw the incident unfold. These same people also extinguished some small fires at the car and at the engine. We are all grateful for the quick actions and concern for the driver.
The format of this page will be picking one aspect of the crash and discussing it per post.

The driver had two broken feet and is banged up. He's recovering now.

Interesting findings that will help many amateur racers properly prepare their car:
https://www.facebook.com/272CrashInfo/
Appreciate 0