BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Might cancel my Model 3 reservation, need an alternate daily driver

03-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #45
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Environmentalists seem to only consider a vehicles tailpipe emissions. The impact of acquisition, production, transportation, disposal, etc. is of little consequence.
I'm not an environmentalist, but I'm a survivalist. The current incentives favor the EV, environment or not, and in socal the advantages are significant. What the anti-EV fanatics don't realize is that the cost of transporting fuel state to state in giant fuel trucks burning even more fuel is also of consequence. Additionally, the environmental impact of the power in the regional grid is dependent on the source, which can range anywhere on the spectrum from coal to hydro, AND is fully adaptable to whatever new means we source power. On the other hand the ICE is NOT adaptable and it's environmental impact is relatively FIXED to fossil fuels. Flexibility is the advantage the EV, so despite what the traditionalists think, it is the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I know ... Elon Musk is great at peddling Kool-Aid though. Actually, what is more hypocritical than the factors you cite is their wilful ignorance as to the GHG's created by generating the electricity to charge their precious EV's.
The OP addressed this issue in the first page, not sure why you chose to ignore it. Maybe it doesn't fit your narrative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
If there is a benefit for the environment, I'm happy about that. However, that is not my main goal with driving an electric car. I'm concerned with the other green... the green that is in my wallet.

Yup. I'll take those rebates, tax incentives, carpool lane stickers, and free charging thank you. I'll shred tires in my M3 on the weekends, and enjoy the advantages of an EV on my commute because it benefits me. For those that can't/won't see the advantages or don't have them available to them, that's your loss, but I hope one day you can take advantage of it like some of us have.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
PandaM3470.00
      03-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #46
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
OP, as an M3 driver, I love my i3 as a commuter. I think the range is just right for you, and despite the $50k price tag, the lease deals can be great. Keep in mind that BMW has 2 years free charging, so your fuel/energy costs could potentially be zero. The interior, IMHO is much better than most other EVs, spartan, but not as plain as the Model 3. Not quite as nice as the Tesla S and X, but then again, you're not paying >$100k.

Autonomous Driving is limited to Adaptive Cruise, which honestly is pretty damn great in the socal commute. I feel so relaxed, and my 80mi/day commute is much easier in the i3 than the M3.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

What's wrong with a Volt? I saw some crazy lease in California for $126 month all in.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #48
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
What's wrong with a Volt? I saw some crazy lease in California for $126 month all in.
+1 for the Volt. My wife has one and it is an amazing car for the money.
      03-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #49
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
OP, as an M3 driver, I love my i3 as a commuter. I think the range is just right for you, and despite the $50k price tag, the lease deals can be great. Keep in mind that BMW has 2 years free charging, so your fuel/energy costs could potentially be zero. The interior, IMHO is much better than most other EVs, spartan, but not as plain as the Model 3. Not quite as nice as the Tesla S and X, but then again, you're not paying >$100k.

Autonomous Driving is limited to Adaptive Cruise, which honestly is pretty damn great in the socal commute. I feel so relaxed, and my 80mi/day commute is much easier in the i3 than the M3.
It seems the most fatiguing aspect of commuting is the braking and accelerating while in traffic... I can see how that is more relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Are those recent lease deals? What are the drive assist features in the Volt? Does it have adaptive cruise with traffic assist at the very least?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #50
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I think I'm going to end up getting a Tesla Model 3. Although I'm a non Tesla owning line waiter, I am pretty high up on the wait list.

One of my friends who is also a non Tesla owning line waiter just got his configuration invite this week. He ordered at the Pasadena store maybe an hour ahead of me. I ordered at the Mission Viejo store around 1230pm. It seems the configuration invites are going out every Wednesday so I think mine will come next week or the week after... then it's gonna be another 4-6 weeks for the order.

However I did test drive the Clarity PHEV and tried the drive assist features which worked nicely for commuting.

If they put one more delay on the Model 3 then I'm pulling my reservation and headed to the Honda dealer.
Appreciate 0