BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Is the 3 door M135i practical with a infant car seat?

04-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

Is the 3 door M135i practical with a infant car seat?

Just wondering if anyone has kids on here. I've got a 2 year old son and he's obviously still in his car seat, which unfortunately is the most bulky kind of car seat a child will ever have to use.

I've read a couple of reviews, which cover more of the practicality issues as well as performance and one or two have mentioned that the 3 door version is quite a chew on for getting car seats and taller back seat passengers. I know once the car seat is in it will be staying in, so taking it out and putting it in daily wont be an issue, just obviously he still requires help getting into his seat each time we go somewhere.

I know they make every 1 series in a 5 door model, but for me, despite it being a nice car still, it just isn't as 'sleek' as the 3 door. I've opted for practicality over style with everything for the last 2 years now, so unless the 3 door just isn't liveable with a young child then I won't be opting for the 5 door model. Just wanted to see what people have to say first.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck View Post
Just wondering if anyone has kids on here. I've got a 2 year old son and he's obviously still in his car seat, which unfortunately is the most bulky kind of car seat a child will ever have to use.

I've read a couple of reviews, which cover more of the practicality issues as well as performance and one or two have mentioned that the 3 door version is quite a chew on for getting car seats and taller back seat passengers. I know once the car seat is in it will be staying in, so taking it out and putting it in daily wont be an issue, just obviously he still requires help getting into his seat each time we go somewhere.

I know they make every 1 series in a 5 door model, but for me, despite it being a nice car still, it just isn't as 'sleek' as the 3 door. I've opted for practicality over style with everything for the last 2 years now, so unless the 3 door just isn't liveable with a young child then I won't be opting for the 5 door model. Just wanted to see what people have to say first.
Been there done that! You got kids, say goodbye to a two door vehicle! Just not practical. You will be a lot happier in the medium term with the 5 door.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

When I had a Polo GTI as our city car, I completely regretted not getting the 5 door. It just wasn't that practical with the 3 door. Now I only use 2 seaters or 4/5 door cars!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

First time replying .

No 3 dr. any car is not convenient for babies. 3dr looks better, but mine is 5dr exactly because of babies. Got 6 yrs. old/4 yrs. old and and infant I help looking on weekends for my sis once a month.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I suppose I was kidding myself thinking that I could manage with a 2 doors. I mean its not like I've got an extendable rubber spine in order to lift him in and out everytime we need to go out.

I remember my test drive back in November (which was in a 3 door manual) I just completely by passed any sort of practicality considerations when I had a walk round the car, probably through excitement of actually driving the car. Now its getting closer to the date I'll be ordering and things like this are starting to become things I have to consider.

I have seen a few 5 door 1er's when people have been picking up their cars and it's not a drastic change in the looks. Infact one of the nicest M135i's I've seen on here is a 5 door. I just really like that compact look of the 3 door and the small rear window looks really smart.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

No the change isn't drastic Here's mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
BMW_M2
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

I have a 5 door, fits my kid with his infant seat fine.

Instagram: jy8xx8
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep

I love Estoril and your's is another lovely example, but its the only colour anyone seems to have on f20/30's on our estate. I have yet to see a M135i in our town, but given its similarities to the M Sport F20, If I opted for Estoril I'd look a bit like a copycat.

It's out of the safe option of Alpine or the outlandish look of the Valencia Orange. I'd like to add one or two exterior M Performance parts so I think Alpine White might be the only option I can take without making it look a bit 'overboard'
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
omohat
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

I'm currently driving a Scirocco and have a 5 door M135i on order precisely because the 2 door Scirocco is a pain to load kids into the back of. Get the 5 door for your sake.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

^^This. My experience from days of old. 3drs especially annoying once kids become mobile, and assert their independence ("I'll climb in by myself, Daddy!!") and you watch them take the most difficult route to their car seat, usually via your leather seats, wearing muddy shoes
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
LessIsMore
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 535i Sport

I had a coupe (04 GTO/Monaro) for the first 2-3 years after my first son, and on the infrequent occasion we needed to take my car it would work without much issue. Now I have two kids. I began looking to replace the GTO with an e92 335i coupe because they're gorgeous, however I was forced to reality (mostly by my wife) and realized that a sedan was just going to be smarter and easier day-to-day. So I thought that if I had to get a sedan, might as well go full sedan and bought a 535i.

Now with two kids and different schedules in the family, the boys ride with me a lot more often and I'm really glad, thinking about it now, I don't have to struggle with: fold-forward seats, tight interior room for all the kid's gear, contortion and strength tests of getting a 20-lb baby in a 10 lb car seat with one arm/should securely lodged into the seat base in the back of a coupe, slow ingress/egress due to above issues, etc.

In short, I'd get something with 4+ doors.
JB4 G5 | MHD E85 Hybrid BEF | VTT GC Lites | VTT Inlets | VTT Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | Fuel-It TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 Bar TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD | 15mm Rear Spacers

Last edited by LessIsMore; 04-09-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0