BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Update: Confirmed - FWD BMW 1 Series Concept Active Tourer (GT) Revealed
Closed Thread

09-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

I had a chance to see the 1 series GT concept in its early design stages earlier this year. It's been a while, but I think this looks pretty spot on. The only design cues I don't remember seeing are the mirrors and the silver part along the bottom of the front door. The hood, headlights , and front bumper are very accurate with what I saw. Also, the version I saw had matte black window trim instead of silver... but I remember they were contemplating the switch to silver, because they had sketches for me to see.
      09-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

This is clearly another artist's impression. The artist's autograph is even on the front bumper, and there's only one angle.

Ofcourse it could be very close, but the area where the A pillar meets the hood and wing mirrors looks pretty much impossible to me, and I'm also really interested to see how the hood opens

The mirrors look too small to comply with EU regulations, the "vent" on the side appears very un-BMW to me, the front bumper looks way different from what could be seen on the spy shots, the doorhandles are suddenly below the swage line...

I don't buy it, and I'm afraid it'll look a lot more bland and worse than this.

Last edited by rickk; 09-13-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #25
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickk View Post
This is ofcourse clearly another artist's impression. The artist's autograph is even on the front bumper, and there's only one angle.

Ofcourse it could be very close, but the area around the wing mirrors and A pillar looks pretty much impossible to me, and I'm also really interested to see how the hood opens

The mirrors look too small to comply with EU regulations, the "vent" on the side appears very un-BMW to me, the front bumper looks way different from what could be seen on the spy shots, the doorhandles are suddenly below the swage line...

Sorry, but I'm afraid it'll look a lot more bland and worse than this.
It is the official picture of the concept car which will be revealed in a few hours. Autobild broke the embargo infuriating the mothership.

The car is officially a Concept but a pre-production concept meaning that some items will not make production and be more realistic.
The overall car shown here is what will be made available to customers in 2013.

So here it is the first example of BMW's new era and the first example of a combined MINI /UKL family aimed at increasing global sales to 2 Million units.
Of course the car can be considered a rival for the Mercedes-Benz B-Klasse and why not? The B-Klasse has launched a segment for a more upmarket equivalent of a volume MPV type vehicle. The B-Klasse is a success and it is highly significant when you realise this is a high growth segment expected to grow by 45%. To test the water for such a Concept, BMW tested the Active Tourer amongst clients that drive mainstream MPVs , in Europe there is demand for such a BMW based MPV concept.

Of course this means nothing to enthusiasts it is aimed at bringing people who need this sort of vehicle to the BMW brand with the quality of a BMW , the sporting lookings of a BMW and the key important item to making the car work...Drive like a BMW.
BMW are also aiming at existing BMW customers who would probably have an MPV for family orientated pursuits alongside a BMW as their general car.

Even though the car is FWD purely for packaging , engineers have manged to transfer that communication and ability of a BMW to FWD and it is a successful transplant.

The stylish sportier appearance conforms to BMW reinterpreting successful concepts to make them fit within BMW's dynamic philosophy when it comes to styling. If we shrink the car to proper hatch proportions we get a preview of how the City hatch will look like in both 3dr and 5dr although the face will be very different inheriting a single corona ring in shapely glass covers
exactly like early BMW entry models.

Each BMW 1er model will have its own identity for example (For now) the F20/F21 have their own distinctive appearance. As will the 2er Coupe/Cabrio differ from the
F20/F21.
And now the FWD cars will utilise a seperate identity.

And because it shares a lot with the next generation MINI the cars can not be more different , sharing absolutely nothing in appearance , all with unique switchgear etc and with the MINI being tuned for a more fun-factor to a more serious sporting drive for the BMW. Both are primed to take on Audi's A1 model in a two-pronged attack aiming to show up the Audi's lack of driver communication.
      09-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #26
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice cant wait to see more photos in a few hours!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #27
RazBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Looks amazing..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

F**k
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Of course this means nothing to enthusiasts it is aimed at bringing people who need this sort of vehicle to the BMW brand with the quality of a BMW , the sporting lookings of a BMW and the key important item to making the car work...Drive like a BMW.
BMW are also aiming at existing BMW customers who would probably have an MPV for family orientated pursuits alongside a BMW as their general car.

Even though the car is FWD purely for packaging , engineers have manged to transfer that communication and ability of a BMW to FWD and it is a successful transplant.
what a joke. this is B class with BMW badge slapped on it. soon we are going to have an Audi MPV also I assume.
You ever actually driven a MINI before?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #30
Roviklan
Rep
Drives: BMW 1

A bit better image appeared on http://www.autoforum.cz/bleskovky/bm...tu-maleho-mpv/

It is confirmed as real deal. Name of this car is Concept Active Tourer.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #31
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
what a joke. this is B class with BMW badge slapped on it. soon we are going to have an Audi MPV also I assume.
A Joke?
Do I make you laugh like a clown?

Yes you will see an Audi MPV because this is a segment that is growing.
Besides the concept dressing this is BMW's interpretation of an MPV concept.
I am sure there are a lot of buyer swho would be interested in this car given how its purpose is the same but not only looks different , and it is a BMW.
      09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #32
Xcution
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs4444 View Post
..Yes FWD just like your Mini.
I have been to lazy to update my profile. I no longer have a Mini ;p
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #33
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I think it actually looks quite good. RWD city type cars don't make much sense and if BMW get's the handling sorted out (which I believe they will) I think it will fit in quite well on the cramped city streets of Europe as well as in the driveways of many Americans who don't really need a larger sedan. The mini drives very well and with this they can distribute the cost of the new fwd platform over even more units increasing profits more so- like what Audi already does but on a smaller scale.

Stop whining people.
      09-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #34
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
A Joke?

I am sure there are a lot of buyer swho would be interested in this car given how its purpose is the same but not only looks different , and it is a BMW.
Any news on the smaller "2-Series" sedan in the works? A 1600 Neue Klasse revival sounds pretty awesome to me.
      09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #35
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
A Joke?

"I’m funny how? I mean funny, like I’m a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I’m here to fu**in’ amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?"
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #36
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

This looks pretty good and dynamic. I think it looks a lot better than the current 1-Series, aggressive front, sculpted sides and based on th rear light drawings the rear might look just as good. I'm sure stuff will be lost in translation from concept to production but it definitely looks good as off now. And not too MPV-like either, it is not that far off something like an Opel Astra, Kia Ceed or Hyundai i30 in overal proportions and shape and they all belong in C-Segment rather than MPV.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

@matski:
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #38
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

At least it looks 10 times better than the F20. There are no major eye catching design mistakes here apparently.

When they can have a FWD chassis that handles like a Golf GTi or a Focus ST, I will not complain about that either!

Looks like a potential hot seller, irrespective what we all think about it!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #39
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
+1000 Sol01
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

This is nothing more then a mini van. There are plenty of this build by opel, ford and vw. Nothing special - a box for housewives.
      09-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #41
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

why don't they put all the FWD future models under BMWi and GTFO?
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #42
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

This car makes "ultimate driving machine" sounds like a joke. Whatever this car will be, it is a van. Vans are not for "driving pleasure". They are for carrying things and ppl.
      09-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #43
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

this is actually much better looking than the:

5GT
3GT
3sedan
1coupe

...and that's just freaking sad.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #44
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Some segments are better left alone.

I don't get it. I suppose if I lived in Rome or some other city with narrow roads maybe I'd love it...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread