BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 Urban half leather trim problem

03-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Smileysteve
England
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Urban

F20 Urban half leather trim problem

I am finding the drivers seat extremely uncomfortable.

My journey is 80 mins each way to and from work and after about 15 mins I start to have a very uncomfortable numbing feeling to the side of my thigh / back side.
The problem is there is a join of leather double stitched on the side walls of the lower seat and it is like each thigh sitting on a biro pen!

I wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar issues with this design seat? Posture is fine, a really comfortable seat apart from the experience described.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Hmmm, can't say I've experienced the same. I think the fact that I'm a skinny 69kg guy prevents me from sitting on the portion you describe...

BTW, I was quite surprised to find that the Metro "leather" is in fact Sensatec and not the real cow stuff. After a bit of research though, I'm fine with this, as it seems the synthetic stuff lasts longer, wears better (important when it's white) and wicks moisture better.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileysteve

My journey is 80 mins each way to and from work and after about 15 mins I start to have a very uncomfortable numbing feeling to the side of my thigh / back side.
The problem is there is a join of leather double stitched on the side walls of the lower seat and it is like each thigh sitting on a biro pen!

I wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar issues with this design seat? Posture is fine, a really comfortable seat apart from the experience described.
Sounds like piriformis syndrome. Tilt the front of ur seat dwn a little bit to prevent ur posterior hip from rubbing that uncomfortable stitching. It will seem weird at first, but is actually better for ur spine in the long run as it will force ur abs and low back muscles to stay active.
      03-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileysteve View Post

My wife has Urban model. It is good to sit in. No discomfort, it has partial leather sports seats and it is real Dakota leather.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Smileysteve
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileysteve

Sounds like piriformis syndrome. Tilt the front of ur seat dwn a little bit to prevent ur posterior hip from rubbing that uncomfortable stitching. It will seem weird at first, but is actually better for ur spine in the long run as it will force ur abs and low back muscles to stay active.
My seats do not have the tilt option. But I know the function you describe as my previous E87 had this. I am going to have to place some kind of seat cover on top because I can not bear it for 80 min journeys.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Smileysteve
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh
Hmmm, can't say I've experienced the same. I think the fact that I'm a skinny 69kg guy prevents me from sitting on the portion you describe...

BTW, I was quite surprised to find that the Metro "leather" is in fact Sensatec and not the real cow stuff. After a bit of research though, I'm fine with this, as it seems the synthetic stuff lasts longer, wears better (important when it's white) and wicks moisture better.
I am only 76 kg. Perhaps if I become over weight the extra fat will act as a cushion and resolve my problem lol
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileysteve View Post
I am only 76 kg. Perhaps if I become over weight the extra fat will act as a cushion and resolve my problem lol
Yes a good solution, eat a lot of fatty foods and candy and get a real fat ass. ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Take the car back and say you are having problems with the seats. BMW will do modifications to make you happy even arrange for the seats to be adjusted.

I once had a problem with a new 116ti Compact with a noisy rear diff at 60mph. BMW tried a few replacement diffs but in the end BMW stripped all the interior out and added sound proofing. I had the most quite car in town.
      03-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer man View Post
it has partial leather sports seats and it is real Dakota leather.
Interesting that it's Dakota leather... Did you have to spec it like that specifically or do the sports seats come with real leather as standard? I thought mine was real (a salesman told me it was ), but if I reach underneath the seat from behind it, there is a little bit of loose flap which you can feel the synthetic fabric lining on the backside of.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
Interesting that it's Dakota leather... Did you have to spec it like that specifically or do the sports seats come with real leather as standard? I thought mine was real (a salesman told me it was ), but if I reach underneath the seat from behind it, there is a little bit of loose flap which you can feel the synthetic fabric lining on the backside of.
may be that this applies to sports seats, it was my wife who ordered the car. but I'm sure it's leather seats because I have cleaned them and had the car on leather processing,
http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662633

Last edited by bimmer man; 03-31-2012 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0