BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Texas dad fatally shoots teenage boy found in daughter's room

03-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #89
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Here we have the internets...

My history is pretty much the complete opposite of what MediaArtist is saying, but he also said a majority of people recruited, not everyone, so I don't take offense. And I technically wasn't "recruited" in terms of enlistment, but that's a different subject. I'm not from the south (I am stationed here currently, I'm originally from a relatively nice area in the north), and not from a poor family, but I am still in the military as an officer. Besides, I know how I earned my way, and it wasn't easy, but I don't presume everyone else knows and get offended at comments.

I also agree with MonkUSMC. I certainly don't have a "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality, and quite frankly I don't know many people who do. The people I read about in Iraq and Afghanistan that had the "shoot first and ask questions later" mentality didn't wind up staying in the service very long before they were kicked out and jailed. Something about possibly killing innocent civilians and the Geneva Conventions definition of a war crime. Who knew?
      03-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #90
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I guess I was wrong, maybe certain people don't make 4 different post continually trying to defend the honor of Texas because they were angry or offended by some tongue-in-cheek comment, it's just for their own entertainment. Got it!
And where did this come from?:

"Neo-cons are well known for doing crazy stuff like open carrying their 6 shooters, wearing cowboy boots, and shooting into the air during national holidays. They tend to eat meat 3-4 times a day, and are the type to say "Yee haw!" It's not a personal attack against them, it's just how they act, and they happen to live in the South."

I'm from NorCal - this is not an uncommon belief held by many people there, and SoCal as well - the ones that haven't been out much. You forgot the "everyone has an oil well" statement... Oh well - the rest of the country considers Californians to be flaky, narcissistic and stupid, living off of our inflated real estate values. So much for stereotypes.
      03-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #91
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Here we have the internets...

My history is pretty much the complete opposite of what MediaArtist is saying, but he also said a majority of people recruited, not everyone, so I don't take offense. And I technically wasn't "recruited" in terms of enlistment, but that's a different subject. I'm not from the south (I am stationed here currently, I'm originally from a relatively nice area in the north), and not from a poor family, but I am still in the military as an officer. Besides, I know how I earned my way, and it wasn't easy, but I don't presume everyone else knows and get offended at comments.

I also agree with MonkUSMC. I certainly don't have a "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality, and quite frankly I don't know many people who do. The people I read about in Iraq and Afghanistan that had the "shoot first and ask questions later" mentality didn't wind up staying in the service very long before they were kicked out and jailed. Something about possibly killing innocent civilians and the Geneva Conventions definition of a war crime. Who knew?
Shoot first, ask questions later is quite possibly one of the worst adages I've heard surrounding firearm use. It's a typical neo-con battle cry, and it's ridiculous (and illegal).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #92
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Shoot first, ask questions later is quite possibly one of the worst adages I've heard surrounding firearm use. It's a typical neo-con battle cry, and it's ridiculous (and illegal).
I wouldn't strictly say neo-con, I would say it's typical of those who don't actually own any firearms (or own them illegally) and are just trying to stir the pot.

Most people who have actually educated themselves on the proper use of, and laws regarding firearms know exactly what you said, it's illegal.
      03-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #93
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Litos (Cheetos - name-calling is another diversion by those who can't make a point on its own merits) doesn't live anywhere near Houston, FYI.
uummm, I live in Houston and I work in Houston......

my kids go to school in downtown Houston and my wife works in the Galleria...

that's pretty much as Houston as it gets lol....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #94
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post

I was expecting a sharp retort, something like MediaFartist....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #95
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Cheetos is my boy.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #96
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post

Whoops - was thinking you were in San Antonio... My bad...

You should take your guns and move somewhere less violent - maybe Laguna Beach.
      03-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #97
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:

San Antonio is my home away from home - gorgeous city with rich Mexican influences and amazing food.

I lived there for a short time in 2005-2006 - wouldn't move back unless the right job was to be had....

waaaaay too much money flying around Houston right now....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #98
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:

Funny, I've lived in Dallas and Laguna Beach in the last few years. I still get a news letter from LB about the daily crime. It tends to involve suspected drunk drivers mowing down hedges and pedestrians being hit in the cross walks on PCH.

Now that they have jobs out there again, we've given serious thought to heading back that way. State income tax and silly house pricing vs stupid weather and Steve Perry.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #99
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Funny, I've lived in Dallas and Laguna Beach in the last few years. I still get a news letter from LB about the daily crime. It tends to involve suspected drunk drivers mowing down hedges and pedestrians being hit in the cross walks on PCH.

Now that they have jobs out there again, we've given serious thought to heading back that way. State income tax and silly house pricing vs stupid weather and Steve Perry.
Steve Perry?
      03-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #100
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Ha, Rick.
Appreciate 0