BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > More front camber using OE F8x parts

04-02-2015, 02:48 AM   #1
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

More front camber using OE F8x parts

F8x M3/M4 Lower Control Arms [LCA's] installed on my m135i by Birds in the UK.

Before - NSF

After - NSF

Before - NSF

After - NSF

Before - OSF

After - OSF

Tracking adjusted but ran out of time to get L & R camber changes checked but it's circa an extra 1 deg negative. Will get alignment re checked in a couple weeks.

Stance looks even better IMHO with a v slight extra poke ie wheel faces more flush with wheel arch. No rubbing even with 8" wide et34mm wheels.

Initial impressions:-

Turn-in on my car was already very good and now "feels" better as a result of slight change in castor angle. There's definitely more weight to the comfort mode steering immediately off centre [not quite as much as switching from comfort to sport mode] and sport mode steering is much, much meatier = better in my book. Despite this, it's not "darty" or fussy at all in straight line.

No extra NVH noticeable as a result of the sturdy bushes on F8x LCA's.

TBH I was not sure about the slightly extra poke to front wheels in terms of looks and if it would rub. Having driven a mix of different roads & looked again this morning, it's growing on me. Took some dips and crests at a reasonable clip and no rubbing at all. Roads were wet/damp so drove to the conditions and Mich PSS's were excellent.

Hoping for some dry roads in N Wales this weekend to give it a proper shakedown.....

BP

UPDATE:-

Managed to sneak out 1st thing to meet up with Cayman S driving chum for a fast thrash round evo triangle.

Hence grubby car. One slight-ish issue I have is my wider/et34mm front wheels are positioned slight further forward in relation to wheel arch. On v fast bumps it rubs at about the one o clock position in the photo below. Bit of a dilemma as I really like the grippier front end and steering feel.

As a comparison, front wheel position in wheel arch pre F8x LCA install

Last edited by Bee Pee; 04-05-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0