BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Help: Multifunction steering wheel retrofit

06-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

Help: Multifunction steering wheel retrofit

Hi,

My car came without multifunction controls for the multimedia system and the LIM-functions which cars with MFSW but no cruise control has.

I found a set of multifunction controls cheap on eBay so I bought them. It seemed like it could be worth a try atleast...

I had them installed and the fitted properly.They are illuminated but they doesn't work fully. The only thing that sort of works is that I can change radio station with the scroll wheel. I also get the radio station information i the instrument cluster which I didn't before. "Mode", volume, telephone and etc. doesn't work.

When I press the key "LIM" on the left side of the wheel the instrument cluster shows "LIM --- Cannot activate speed limit".

Anyone here knows if this could be fixed with coding? I mean, it feels like it has contact with the car. Maybe it lacks some hardware, then of course there is nothing to do.

It's not the whole world, but it would be nice to be able to change the volume on the wheel...

The wheel looks like this:

Here are the controls:
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
ermonee86
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 118d

Hello!i have bought the same multifuction bottons but i didnt install them yet.
At the bmw's concessionaire they say they dont know if they can codding it.
Did you install it by yourself?
Have you codded something?
I hope we can have it installed and working so soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermonee86 View Post
Hello!i have bought the same multifuction bottons but i didnt install them yet.
At the bmw's concessionaire they say they dont know if they can codding it.
Did you install it by yourself?
Have you codded something?
I hope we can have it installed and working so soon!
Another one in the same boat! We don't seem to be very many...

Yeah, the install was fairly simple. The car is not coded.

As I posted the functionality at the moment is very limited. No volume, no "LIMIT" and so on.

I can change radio station and I recently found out that I also can answer/hang up phone calls with the scroll wheel at the right side.

I'm waiting for one dealer to come back, but I don't have very big expectations here...

Keep me posted if you find out something more about this topic. I also hope we'll sort this out soon!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
ermonee86
Spain
Rep

Can you explain me the steps to install the multimedia controls? I need a connector cable, is that correct?
I'm thinking install it by my own, while I wait for bmw's concesionary answer. For the other side, there is an spanish page for coding and I think they can help me with this, when I recieve news i' ll tell you.
If you can change radio station and answer the telephone it's a begining.
Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

You need to remove the airbag. To be safe remove the - pole from your battery first so the power is completly off.

Then remove the airbag like this video:

Look at it carefully a couple of times. It took me a while more time the it took the guy in the video. Just take it easy and don apply any brute force.

You need a new connector cable part number 32306854768 to connect the controls.

The existing small little cable with white connectors for the horn will have to be removed, and not to be used anymore. The horn will be connected through the new cable instead.

There are two screws from the back of the wheel to release the inserts. After they are released just fit the new controls and put back the screws.

Here are another set of pictures I found to explain how you remove the controls. http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...5#post13775485 Note that I did not remove the entire wheel like in the movie or pictures.

Sorry if I didn't explain it very well, feel free to ask more questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
ermonee86
Spain
Rep

There is no news about it right?
My car is yet on warranty, have you got some electronic problem after install the controls? I didnt find somethig about codding...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
There is no news about it right?
My car is yet on warranty, have you got some electronic problem after install the controls? I didnt find somethig about codding...
Nope, nothing new. I will remove mine again since they are not working properly. I've also talked to two different dealers to see if the would retrofit the multifunction wheel but they only do "official" retrofits from BMW and this isn't one of them...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
ermonee86
Spain
Rep

Hi! Im still looking... i've found this post in other forum answering to someone with the same problem :

"add VO 249 and code car."

Have you tried this?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Hi! Im still looking... i've found this post in other forum answering to someone with the same problem :

"add VO 249 and code car."

Have you tried this?
Sorry, I've changed car, I now have cruise control.

I would try it if I were you. I think it will work since there is a connection between the buttons, the scroll wheel works and you get the feedback when pushing the LIM-button.

I took off the buttons before I sold the 116d.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Btw, are you sure that's the right code? Seems to be the factory ordering code for Multi Function Steering Wheel for the E46.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:08 AM   #11
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

This requires coding. Several suppliers can do remote coding.
      07-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
ermonee86
Spain
Rep

new problem with cruise control

Hello!

I Finally I installed the multifunction with LIM function and all works fine, the only one difference is that the control panel doesn't show the limitation velocity I programmed with the light in the velocity clock.

Now I have found the multifunction with cruise control, I installed it and code adding 544, and when I active, it appear in the control panel "cruise control enable" but in a few seconds show me a warning that says "Fail at velocity regulation" and there is not the cruise control icon at the control panel...

My question: Is it possible the fail came because of control panel doesn't have the cruise control option with the icon and the light showing the velocity you marked?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 04:23 AM   #13
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

For the first part, nice that you got it working with LIM, that was the result that I was looking for when I started this thread. It's much better that nothing.

I don't know actually, might be like what you think. But I think that I've read somewhere that the regular cruise control needs more hardware/sensors for being able to break during downhill slopes and so on. Not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #14
hsuch65
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

編碼:fa:544=lim
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
tolassssss
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D

when you add 544, and 249 on fa ou need code all car, or what head unit need code?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 12:28 AM   #16
infodreamall
Registered
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: Black

Must watch this...

Dreamall is a modern day online marketplace. It is a simple and user friendly platform where buyers and sellers of the same service/product/idea can inquire about each other and subsequently negotiate a deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 03:28 AM   #17
moaad
Rep
Drives: e53

Quote:
Hello!

I Finally I installed the multifunction with LIM function and all works fine, the only one difference is that the control panel doesn't show the limitation velocity I programmed with the light in the velocity clock.

Now I have found the multifunction with cruise control, I installed it and code adding 544, and when I active, it appear in the control panel "cruise control enable" but in a few seconds show me a warning that says "Fail at velocity regulation" and there is not the cruise control icon at the control panel...

My question: Is it possible the fail came because of control panel doesn't have the cruise control option with the icon and the light showing the velocity you marked?

hello did you get this working because i have the same problem.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 02:46 AM   #18
darkavgr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i e90

Steering Wheel Controls

Where does the wire connector plug to?
One end is to the MF module/buttons...where does the other end terminate?
At the stock head unit/radio ?

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #19
oneK_it
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1er F20

Hi guys, i'm going to install the multifunction button with only lim function. My steering wheel didn't have hany button (like the one in the first post). What should i code?
Vo 249?
Vo 544?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 03:17 AM   #20
JL357
Rep
Drives: BMW E81 118i F20 116i

Hi Guys,

Have read through this post but still not entirely sure on what is required. A lot of information around people wanting to upgrade from limit to cruise control but not for not buttons to limit.

My car has no buttons on the wheel at all. I have purchased the media buttons which have the limit function (no cruise control nor the desire to have cruise control).

What needs to be coded to get the multifunction buttons and limit to work? @oneK_it did coding those values get your buttons working?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #21
Rambo-313
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f20 2013

Hello guys
i have f20 2013 with no buttons on steering wheel, my car do not have combox, can i do some coding and get the mf steering wheel and enabled the cc od lim function
thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #22
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Adding the speed limit or cruise control function takes an instrument cluster with the indication support. Also switch unit steering column has been reported, although I don't see the options mentioned for it: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_5558.

I have the speed limiter function (and I don't think I have a combox: none of it's requirement options is present in my car) but I never use it: it's uncomfortable to have it intervene, I recall cutting down the engine reportedly may bring down some (turbo?) engine valve leading to the infamous general drivetrain error and I do seem to feel the speed well enough (when I guess I should stop accelerating a glance at the speedometer confirms it's just the time ).
Appreciate 0