BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Squeak

09-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Unhappy Squeak

So my car has been making this squeak sound - for want of a better description - under no particular circumstances. Car is going into BMW tomorrow for a look but wondered if anyone here had any thoughts.

Please see attached sound recording. This was after a cold start in the morning just letting the engine settle and about 50 seconds later the noise happens.

Times I notice the sound:
- as the car slows to a stop (coasting and under braking)
- depressing accelerator / brake / clutch pedals
- releasing brake pedal
- changing from comfort to sport mode
- while accelerating
- while changing gear
- while idling from cold start
- while idling during a drive

...I thought it was only happening on hot days once the engine had been given a good run in but it's not so consistent. Also happens more when in sport / sport+ than it does while in eco / comfort.

It's sometimes really loud and I'm getting embarrassed that people turn around to look my way when that sound occurs now more than they did because of the burbling / crackles of this beautiful engine / exhaust. If I'm cruising through town between 20-30 mph then I'll hear it a lot. Wind the windows up and turn up the music at least stops me hearing it but I actually rather listen to the car...

Attached Files
File Type: zip M135iSqueak.zip (13.2 KB, 134 views)
      09-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

It's the flaps in the exhaust. Mechanically the dealership are saying nothing is wrong so it's just a characteristic I'll have to live with. Yeah, like when I was told the hissing and crackles from the HK system was a characteristic of a high end car I'd have to live with. Feeling a little fobbed off...