BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > goo!

07-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
stifla
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M135i

goo!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Guys I am curious how well the goo works to fill in a puncture? Also wondering if it doesn't work what then. I know there's a 3 year on road assistance by bmw. I noticed there is no jack or any tools to get the tyre off. As the little m-lite is my wifes and she drives it most of the time I would hate to experience a non repairable puncture on a fwy or in bad weather. Do people just have a spare they keep at home? New to not having a spare tyre with cars I drive and sort of cant work out the logic! except for saving costs
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stifla View Post
Guys I am curious how well the goo works to fill in a puncture? Also wondering if it doesn't work what then. I know there's a 3 year on road assistance by bmw. I noticed there is no jack or any tools to get the tyre off. As the little m-lite is my wifes and she drives it most of the time I would hate to experience a non repairable puncture on a fwy or in bad weather. Do people just have a spare they keep at home? New to not having a spare tyre with cars I drive and sort of cant work out the logic! except for saving costs
I keep meaning to buy a spare alloy wheel/tyre, especially having just kurbed one last week. I'll keep it at work and the guys can bring it out to me with some tools. I'd much rather have a biscuit wheel in the boot. Although the pump does come in handy.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Goo and other brands of sealants are a short term fix. It is designed to be pumped into the tyre and as the air leaks out of the hole it clogs up the hole (no good for a torn sidewall) which then allows you to inflate the tyre and drive at a moderate speed to a tyre repair centre. The problem with Goo is that in most cases you may have to get a new tyre as most repair centres will not take responsibility for the removal of the Goo.

Then there are puncture plug kits that can be a better (permanent) solution if it is safe to work on the tyre on the roadside.

As it is your wife, I would suggest that she joins a motoring club which offers roadside assistance with free towing to members. Some BMW dealers also offer this service (subscription cost of course) to owners of non warrantee cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:13 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

There is also a rather limited range of tyre failures you are actually allowed to fix, particularly on runflat tyres. It is always nice to have a backup plan regarding sourcing of replacement tyres. I like Michelin Pilot Supersport, but I run Pilot Sport 3 because they are a lot easier to source quickly. As a temporary solution, I can use my winter tyres.
Appreciate 0