BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > F20 replace seats with Sport seats (and repair airbags)

08-07-2016, 04:06 AM   #1
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: i20

F20 replace seats with Sport seats (and repair airbags)

I've found a Sport interior set for my F20. The price was quite low so I took the gamble and start trying to replace the (standard) interior of my F20. If everything goes well and the job is done, I'll bring the car to a leather-installation company.

So.. The rear wasn't a big issue and was done in about 1,5 hours.

Now I've started with the frontseats. The first challenge; replacing the airbags. The price of the set was very interesting because of the accident the donor-car had. The side airbags are removed from the seats and the cover is opened where the air-bag came out. See picture below:

Does anyone have some ideas how to fix the airbags and the cover? I figured out that the airbags of my standard interior will fit in the Sport seats. So that, I think, isn't the problem.

Nb. When I am done I will make a full DYI-guide (with pictures) of the replacement proces of the whole interior
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Beau2795
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F20 LCI 118d M Sport

Go to realoem and to the interior part nr.'s. There you should find part numbers for all covers. Choose the one you want and order them through your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 04:38 AM   #3
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

All right; the airbags are replaced and the seatcovers are stitched. Next stop; the electronics!

Current seats:
Default seats
494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

Bought seats:
481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
488 LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

Does anyone know if the default seats are pin-compatible with these sportseats? And, if necessary, does the car need programming?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #4
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

It's been a while, but this weekend I've completely installed the seats in my car. There are no errors in the CIC and the seat heating works. The only thing that's not working at the moment are the buttons to de/inflate the lumbar support.

In my previous post I wrote down the options of my car and the donor-car (the one I removed the seats from). The differences are these two options:

481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
488 LUMBAR SUPPORT DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

Do you guys thing that if I add these options to the VO the lumbar support will function? If so; how do I add these options to the car?

I have eSys and a cable!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF20 View Post
Do you guys thing that if I add these options to the VO the lumbar support will function?
I don't think so. I'm very positive seat functions aren't controlled by the computer. Here's a link that appears to confirm my point: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=847823. Does the "hugging" (backrest width adjustment) work? There's only one pump for both width and lumbar (as you know ): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=52_3761. I'd suggest you either misconnected or improperly installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 03:10 AM   #6
franciswilliams
Rep
Drives: hundai

hello
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 12:59 AM   #7
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I don't think so. I'm very positive seat functions aren't controlled by the computer. Here's a link that appears to confirm my point: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=847823. Does the "hugging" (backrest width adjustment) work? There's only one pump for both width and lumbar (as you know ): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=52_3761. I'd suggest you either misconnected or improperly installed.
Thanks for your reply! Both the lumbar and with aren't working, so I think (according to the topic you posted) that's because there's no power. I've read the whole topic, but the problem is that I'm not that good in reading wiring diagrams

Which pin (in the big yellow connector below the seats) do I have to connect to get power on the (lumbar) valve?

Last edited by Pepppie; 01-08-2017 at 01:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:32 AM   #8
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Next phase done.. Everything is build into the car (see photos). Electronical problems are almost solved. I had to use my own (from the old seats) control module and everything, except the lumbar support, is functioning.

Comparing the two yellow connectors; pin 8 & 16 are not connected in my car, so I have to find what these pins are for. I think it's power for the valve, but my dealer wil tell ;-)

Next step; get the leather! I made an appointment in february :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #9
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

Are you reupholstering them? O.o
Daewoo Nubira II
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 01:35 AM   #10
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil111 View Post
Are you reupholstering them? O.o
For sure! This will be the result after treatment (Dakota Tobacco)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

Wow thats sexy
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #12
MermenJazz
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 & F31

Hello!

I'm looking to replace my standard seats with sport ones in my F20.

Found a donor wrecked F20 in my country and the seller has agreed to sell me the seats.

Currently I have non-electric non-heated standard seats and I'm looking to swap them out for electric heated sport alcantara seats.

Apart from the lumbar support not working due to missing power connectors does everything else work?

Would the electric seat adjustments work? Plug & play? I don't really care for seat memory etc. I'd just like to move my seats

I have automatic climate controls but no seat heating, so I'm missing the button. Is it only that button or are there modules that I'd need to add? Would swapping just the faceplate work (or better, is there a switch hidden under the plastic where the button should be like for rear fogs in some cars)?

MarkF20 Have you finished your project? Maybe got lumbar support working?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
Mop007
Rep
Drives: F21 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF20 View Post

Comparing the two yellow connectors; pin 8 & 16 are not connected in my car, so I have to find what these pins are for. I think it's power for the valve, but my dealer wil tell ;-)
8 are LIN bus
16 are Mass (Minus)

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mop007 View Post
8 are LIN bus
16 are Mass (Minus)

Have you got the whole wiring diagram? Are pin 8 and 16 connected to the valve?
Appreciate 0