BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 125i/M135i owners: do you have automatic or manual ?
View Poll Results: 125i/M135i owners: did you get the automatic or manual transmission ?
I have the automatic transmission. 44 69.84%
I have the manual transmission. 19 30.16%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

02-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #23
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

Manual M135i. And I live in central London. And no regrets.

I couldn't care less which box is used in which motorsport, or which box changes slightly gear more quickly, or which offers slightly better acceleration or economy. None of it is relevant to me. I care only about how much I personally enjoy driving the car. And for me, enjoyment requires me to feel fully involved in the driving process, which requires a manual gearbox. My last daily driver had a 7spd flappy paddle box and I didn't much care for changing gear that way. I got used it to but never particularly enjoyed it.

Given I understand the M135i shares its dry-sumped manual 'box, with the 1M, it's also not particularly a poor alternative to the 8spd wonder-auto.

I have nothing against automatic gearboxes. I just feel they have a time and place. And that time and place is a large luxury saloon, or an MPV or a Range Rover, but not in a hot hatchback or, god forbid, something like a Boxster.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #24
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

I'm definitely going to opt for the automatic when I order my m135i next month. Like a few others have said it's nothing to do with the slightly increased performance and economy. For me it's simply down to wanting to try an automatic this time round. I must admit the reviews I've read have all given the automatic gearbox great feedback and that has helped sway me this time round. I'm sure both are fantastic as you'd expect from BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i Cayman gts

After test driving a 328i w/ 8 sp auto, I ordered my M135i with manual. No matter how good the ZF auto is, it still can't provide the direct driving experience like a manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendDriver View Post
After test driving a 328i w/ 8 sp auto, I ordered my M135i with manual.
I tested a 320D with the 8 sp auto back to back with the M135i with the 8 sp auto. There is a huge difference between the both: the 3's auto was more similar to the 6 sp steptronic in my E91 than to the M135i.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i Cayman gts

In what ways are they different?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive

It's hard to describe. The auto in the M135i just seems to be always in the right gear, whatever you are doing (cruising or driving sporty). The auto in my E91 isn't. Either it's aimed at cruising and stays in low revs, or it keeps your engine too high in the revs for too long. The 8sp in the F30 that I tested was much better than the E91, but definitely not as spot on as the M135i.

Changing gears after a kick down also seemed faster in the M135i, but that could be due to the general impression of speed the car gives you.

I tested an S3, an S4 and a C300 CDI too in auto, same story, didn't like em much either. Rapid upshifting was not a problem, but the behavior of the auto once you are up to speed, slowing down to corner and speeding up again didn't feel as natural as it did in the M135i. In those cars I always felt the need to use the flappy pedals myself. The M135i just chooses the right gears for you, and I didn't feel the need to shift myself. I'm sure some will argue that if you take it to the track you might prefer to take control yourself, but for my driving I never used it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #29
macar
Rep
Drives: F20 - 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
But can you choose the gears you want to? What if you want to test the low end grunt of your engine, and want to make an acceleration from 70-120 in top gear. Is that even possible, or will it kick down?
Hi All,
I got the auto gear box with paddles.

In manual and sport mode, you can choose the gear you want in the limits of the RPM. It can't go below 1000 rpm, the box change automatically to the lower gear and at the rev limit, it changes to the upper gear. In between, you can put and keep the gear you want.

In the beginning I was missing the control of the gears as I was used to manual gear box. With the paddles on manual mode, I'm feeling almost in full control of the gear-box. It's very nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #30
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?p=575396#p575396

The first post I found since I've been following different 1-series forums since the last 6 months, from someone honest enough to admit that he's not 100% happy with his choice for going with the automatic, due to lack of 'being connected' with the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #31
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Manual.
I just can't do auto with this kind of performance. I want to do my own shifting and heel and toeing. I like the feeling, even if I am somewhat slower.

The shifting is ultra smooth and quick on the auto. The down shift is so well matched I doubt any people and do it so well again and again consistently. Yes I have learned the Auto takes off even quicker and saves gas with that 0.6 something ratio on the last gear, and the driver focuses more on the road means better lap time, and M135i manual is just the old 1M box with a different final drive ratio....

All things considered, manual still, for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #32
Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
ZF Auto is brilliant. Have not regretted getting it. And...launch control maybe soon ; )
      05-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #33
raffoul232
Private
Rep
Drives: m135i xdrive

Really wanted a manual but it was going to be a longer wait, so I got the sports automatic. Driven around 1600km till today and its quite smooth (I only drive on gears screw automatic). When it's on d I feel like the car isnt as responsive if driven on +\- (hope it makes sense) btw I have an m135i xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #34
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

Manual... I guess I'm old fashioned and I like to shift. I'm especially addicted to that feeling of powering out of a 2nd gear corner and shifting up in to third.

But if you're into autos... I must say the auto is a very good match for the 125i, it emphasizes the "mini GT" feel of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Driving style

The 8 speed sport auto is a truly exceptional transmission that is nothing like previous autos I've experienced. No delay, no slipping clutch feeling and even better, it will downshift and provide engine breaking even in auto.

I've always loved MT for sport driving so this is truly the first AT that I've ever liked and praised. Having said that, it requires a very different driving style that I have not yet mastered.

This is the first auto box that not only requires driver involvement, it actually requires skill and timing that I've not yet developed in my first 1200 miles. An MT lets you get into a rhythm on a winding road that previous ATs have simply not provided. The 8 speed sport AT in the M135i does exactly that but the rhythm is very different to an MT and takes some time to master if you're a dyed in the wool MT driver. This AT allows for far later braking and faster downshifts, so much faster entries into corners that takes some getting used to. After driving an MT I tend to downshift way too early with the AT.

If you're not prepared to learn a new driving style then stick with MT because that will be the more satisfying unless you learn to drive differently
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #36
markr1963
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

Manual - I'm old fashioned or maybe just old
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #37
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

[QUOTE=diesel20;13497945]According to the owners manual, if you select sport +, or disable the traction control, then it'll hang onto the gear and not change automatically and will bounce against the limiter. It also disables kickdown function of the accelerator pedal.

Correctamundo This is NO 'ordinary' Auto

I went for the Sport Auto after considering these differences
8 speed v 6 speed
Gear changes in 1/5th the time of a normal manual change time
(= less turbo fall away between gears)
Both hands can remain on the wheel whilst changing gears
or you can flick the gear lever for one handed fun
Auto blips on down change 'Love that'
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #38
DLB800
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 125i M-Sport EB MT

Got my 125i finally yesterday - the wait has been killing me. Manual for me. Test drove both the ZF auto and the MT. Liked the shift in the auto, but wanted the drive to be more involving, so opted for the MT.
      05-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #39
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

[QUOTE=AusF20;14018686]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
According to the owners manual, if you select sport +, or disable the traction control, then it'll hang onto the gear and not change automatically and will bounce against the limiter. It also disables kickdown function of the accelerator pedal.

Correctamundo This is NO 'ordinary' Auto

I went for the Sport Auto after considering these differences
8 speed v 6 speed
Gear changes in 1/5th the time of a normal manual change time
(= less turbo fall away between gears)
Both hands can remain on the wheel whilst changing gears
or you can flick the gear lever for one handed fun
Auto blips on down change 'Love that'
Wow so since I've made that post I've got the car and gotten to know it. VERY happy with my choice!

When driving with the paddles its as good as any dual clutch or whatever box, funnily enough another poster mentioned a boxster must be manual and I was at porsche recently, they only bringing in PDK boxsters, if you want a manual it's a special order and you have to pay a larger deposit So manual is dying out for sure.

And of course unless you drive you car at the max all the time, to just leave it in drive and cruise, what a pleasure!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #40
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
M135i with zf transmission and loving it. So far done 8500km and 7500 of it in manual mode I just like the gear lever too much and it shifts uber fast when I decide it needs to shift
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #41
Argi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i M sport f20

Auto transmission for me! My first automatic transmission, and i consider my self a typical petrol head, racing at karts with a six speed also. Manual gearbox was a must for me... BUT this gearbox is something else.. There is nothing you can't do with this automatic comparing to a manual. Note two things that you could never get from a good manual gearbox, (coming from a 2009 mini john cooper works) first of all the feeling of the constant acceleration, so unique. With a manual you always will have "gaps" in every gear change, comparing always to an automatic like this one. And second the time that needs to make a gear change, is really something that makes you feel like you drive a small "dream car", adding the small kick in every change, and here you have something really special. I believe that 40% of the car is this automatic gearbox. I recommend it, trust me!!
Plus it's the first car that i own that i can actually relax and drive-how can i say it- slow!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #42
SoulBladeZA
Rep
Drives:

I got mine in manual.

My dad bought an M135i too after driving my car, hehe.

He however got his in auto and while it is definitely faster in a straight line than my car and is an extremely good autobox as it feels just like a DCT, the manual is still more fun for me.

I do often drive long distance (cruise control) and hardly do traffic when commuting so an auto box isn't a requirement for me.

But when I hit those backroads.... Man, the manual is seriously good then. I don't care if the guy in the auto will be faster than MT6, the sheer feedback and satisfaction can't be beat. BMW put seriously good manual boxes in their performance cars. I loved the manuals in my E46 M3 and Z4 M too.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argi View Post
There is nothing you can't do with this automatic comparing to a manual.
Well, there is the issue with the missing clutch pedal. It can sometimes be handy in slippery conditions when the car start sliding, and you need maximum directional friction from your tires. It can also be used to kick out the rear end for a quick hairpin turn.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #44
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

True, ove, but I've seen attempts at this go terribly wrong. Best left to the Scandinavians, who get lots of practice on icy roads at low speeds
Appreciate 0