BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Sunday Morning Drive in Taiwan

06-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Sunday Morning Drive in Taiwan

Thanks guys for watching I wish you are here. Not pushing too hard, but the car is very nice. Maybe the suspension can be a little bit stiffer but can be tolerated. Not much feed back but nice steering ratio + smooth shifting. If there is this beeping sound it means the cornering force is over a strange number 0.83g, but anyways....

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Driving like that in Norway, you would probably have your driving licence revoked for quite a long time, along with a rather high fee.

Are you allowed to cross that double yellow line?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

No I am not suppose to cross the double yellow line. I would have been in difficulty with the law, but having cycled there I knew there is no police or speed camera. I got a talk from car buddies already.

I thought European countries are okay with crossing the double yellow/white/red lines in mountains with Top Gear and Fifth Gear showing here. The presenters seem to be cutting across the roads from one corner to the next, but I guess I thought wrong.

I guess I will restrict this type of behavior in video games or if they have a mountain climbing event. Thanks ovekvam for the reminder.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

We are allowed to cut corners if the center line is not continuous.

I guess TopGear are capable of shutting down roads temporarily when they are recording footage, so they have full control of traffic.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Respecting the laws all the time may be boring so in the areas with less traffic we cross the continuous lanes too.
It's not safe at all to overpass with zero visibility, but this is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Take care that the Taiwan traffic police don't monitor YouTube, as they do here in Australia. There's been a few cases where police have used self-shot video as evidence of traffic violations.

As to Top Gear and Fifth Gear, I think you should assume the road has generally been closed for filming
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Take care that the Taiwan traffic police don't monitor YouTube, as they do here in Australia. There's been a few cases where police have used self-shot video as evidence of traffic violations.

As to Top Gear and Fifth Gear, I think you should assume the road has generally been closed for filming
I would imagine they do, Chinese and Japanese police have done it a few times in prosecuting Ferrari drivers who were demonstrating the high speed experience.

I'm with the other posters westphone, I understand you enjoying the car and that road looks a great drive. Knowing there are no police or speed camera's is all well and good but some of your manouvers in there could have ended badly.

The two car overtake before the right hander - you had to chop in on the second car just imagine if your double had been coming the other way...

The bike on the left hander when you are over the line, if the rider was close to the line (To see further round the bend) then you would have had a head on.

I'll admit I stopped watching after that point so I don't know if there are others.

I'm not trying to be mean or negative here just highlighting the possible consequences when you don't quite get away with it....

Top Gear do indeed close a road or use privately owned land when doing high speed testing.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post

I'm not trying to be mean or negative here just highlighting the possible consequences when you don't quite get away with it....

Top Gear do indeed close a road or use privately owned land when doing high speed testing.
Thanks Bob I appreciate the comment. I'll adhere to traffic laws more firmly in the future. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Thanks Bob I appreciate the comment. I'll adhere to traffic laws more firmly in the future. Thanks again.
You're welcome mate, be quick but be safe that way we still get to see what you have to say on the forum.

Worth saying again, that IS a very enticing road though, if that was in the UK you would be dodging potholes most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
rhoolwerf
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116iA (Crimson Red)

To set a different tone from all the traphic behavior talk...

I love those roads! I is really beautiful there, I hope one day I can drive there myself, such beautiful areas
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I'm not so PC! THAT was stupid driving their is no other word for it.

You really have to look out for motorbikes as they can hide in small blind spots and when they come around a corner or over a rise they will be mostly in the centre tyre track or close to the centre line. This is how they are taught to ride. I think this is wrong so I stay to the left or right side of the road, depends which side of the road you drive on.

Join a BMW car club and go to their track days. If I could I would send this to your local police as your driving is that bad.

Last edited by Kiwi; 06-04-2013 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0