BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > BREAKING NEWS: Virginia Tech shooting. 20 dead

04-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #133
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Don't think so, but maybe some hillbillies will call for the border btw the US and South Korea to be closed.
Or at least drained.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #134
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim View Post
I'm not sure why Tech chose to make it known that he is South Korean as they did (www.vt.edu)...
When you think of it, depending on his race, they would have said he was African, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, etc., but if he were German, Swedish, Finnish, Italian, they would have simply said either White or Caucasian.
      04-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #135
Viral
Major
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltron View Post
I really don't understand what the big deal is with regards to the killer being a South Korean. So far there's two "oh boys" in the thread.

I don't think there will be backlash against South Koreans, I hope not.
it's sad when people are focusing on race, nationality, what brand of car the shooter has, etc., at a time like this......they perpetuate exactly what's wrong in this society

Just like 9/11, I'll bet there is a movie made about this in the future.....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #136
PI Guy
Like Mannix...with a Bimmer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Cabrio-ordered 3/29

IMO...... It is waaaaay too easy to get ahold of Guns & Ammo !
      04-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #137
HappyG
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i / 6SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI Guy View Post
IMO...... It is waaaaay too easy to get ahold of Guns & Ammo !
Could've been done with an electric nail gun or any other "tool." It's the user, not the tool that poses the threat.
________
PENNY STOCK
________
Zoloft side effect

Last edited by HappyG; 05-17-2011 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #138
PI Guy
Like Mannix...with a Bimmer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Cabrio-ordered 3/29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyG View Post
Could've been done with an electric nail gun or any other "tool." It's the user, not the tool that poses the threat.
It would be more difficult to kill 33 people with a Nail-Gun, but you are correct..it IS the User.

My point is that I wish the User (who was angry or insane) could have had a "tougher time" getting the Guns.
      04-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #139
HappyG
Major
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
But it was done within the boundaries of the law? The law which was set by our government...making it tougher to obtain anything wouldn't have prevented it in my opinion. When a person is on the edge of insanity like that, there really is not much that anyone can do except gtfo the way. RIP.
________
Honda fcx history
________
Lovely Wendie

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #140
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Nationality definately plays a role in a mass shooting, here and now. That's the first thing I thought of when I heard mass shooting.

What if he was from Indonesia, Malaysia, or Saudi Arabia?
Thomas Jefferson never would have advocated guns if he knew about the Glock. Playing with guns is for shitbags. Nice hobby. Yeah, I said it. Someone screws your wife, or keys your car - go shoot him with your gun, it's right there. Bad day at the office? Fix it with your gun!

Hard times, got hard times, hard times
Got blues, got blues, you got, you got, got, got, got, got, got, got, got
Yeah! Blues!
You got "My boss, man, is a bastard and I wanna kill him" blues.
You got "My boyfriend's a motherfucker
and I wanna cut his balls off and shove 'em right down his throat" blues.
Can't take it, can't take it no more, can't take it, can't take it no more
Blues!
I got gun in my mouth blues
I got gun-in-my-mouth blues.
Lookin' out my window, sun comes up, sun comes burnin' down
No answer, no answer, no aswer, no answer, no answer, no answer, no answer
I'm alone in my room, but I'm not by myself
I'm alone in my room, but I'm not by myself
I've got my hands wrapped 'round my gun
I've got my hands wrapped 'round my gun
No answer, no answer, no answer, no answer, no answer, no answer, no answer
Can't touch me, can't touch me, can't touch me, can't touch me, can't touch me
Suck in.
Pull it, pull it, pull it, pull it.
-HR

Owning a gun is like not wearing your seatbelt; you're too stupid to recognize what a tremendous mistake it can be. "But I took a course!" Yeah, uh, okay, now you can carry a loaded handgun wherever you go! You'll never lose your temper, nor will your wife! Your kid will never figure out where you keep it, and you'll never shoot anybody who doesn't deserve it. Protection? A simple mugging turns into your murder, or your child is shot in your home, mistaken for an intruder.

Guns will never be outlawed in the United States. I just want to discourage anyone from owning one, if I can. Guns can be lots of fun, but it's not worth the danger to you and your family.

I bet stricter gun laws in VA would have prevented this massacre, but we'll see. It's very easy to buy a gun in VA. Although I never bought one when I lived there, I know there was no waiting period at the time.

'All proceeds go to the NRA' Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Name:  bbfb13f1fa1b1235990f7408f79212a8.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  69.4 KB

Canada has more guns per capita, but they don't have <as many> gun-related crimes. I don't know why, and of course this is an extremly complicated issue. Just don't own a gun. Hunting is the only logical reason to own one, and I don't advocate hunting, either. Buy a camera. Do you get extra points if the dove is holding an olive branch in its mouth, when you shoot it?

RIP, VT students. Sincere condolensces to every family member, and every friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #141
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

the guns were mearly the weapons used in this tragedy. one can also use a car if they wanted to and kill just as many if not more people.

basic instict of man is sex and aggression, usally around mid-teen's to early and even mid 20's it seems to conflict more then it would with people who are older.

no one knows exactly what motivated the shooter to have such hatred twords so many people, but i am sure people that were once close to him will come forward and speak as to what they think might have been bothering him. i wouldnt be suprised if it was all over a girl or a brake up.

pure speculation but the inital shooting was said to have had 2 victims, one female and one male. maybe there is a connection to all this, maybe he was a jealous ex of that female and flipped when he caught another guy. again all just speculation.

Last edited by Dleo; 04-17-2007 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #142
HappyG
Major
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Neurorad - That is probably one of the most ignorant posts that I have read. That sounds like some Brady campaign jargon. However, in the great country we live in, I respect your opinions.

Having said that, during any national tragedy such as this, all info will be scrutinized. If a gang of men started going around town killing people with cast iron skillets, you'd have the media saying something about that. So who gets to carry these evil tools? Police, military, militias? What happens when they can't come help you because you live 10 miles from the nearest police station? Tell the bad guy to stop and wait to get arrested?

Everything has a pro and a con to it. Gun control is one of the many issues that will always exist in this country, because that is the freedom that our founding fathers instilled upon us.

If you want to quote statistics, cars and swimming pools kill more people annually then guns do. Shall we ban those too? Research the states that are pro-ccw or pro-protecting yourself during an immediate threat have lower violent crime rates. In CA, we are probably one of the most heavily regulated states in regards to firearms...we sure do have a lot of murders here though.

Simply stated, most criminals don't commit crimes with legally purchased tools. So I guess it makes sense that we're getting gouged at the gas pumps because we're at war right? Same concept. Why penalize law abiding citizens?

As Dleo stated, he could've drove through the campus in a hummer and taken out as many people if not more. In America, it?s not about why, but because I can.

Does anyone really need a 250k Ferrari? No, but in our great country, it?s a right that we have to exercise if we so choose to. Why super size your meal knowing its chock full of calories and fat? Because I CAN ?.within it?s respective legal parameters of course. Just my thoughts?

Same reason we can do all of this...

________
Penny Stock Picks
________
Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #143
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Cho Seung-Hui

Quote:
Certainly is reasonable for us to assume that Cho was the shooter in both places, but we don't have the evidence to take us there at this particular point in time," Flaherty said.

Cho, a 23-year-old South Korean and resident alien, was an English major who lived at the university's Harper Hall, Flinchum said. (Shooter's profile)

"He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," said Larry Hincker, associate vice president for university relations.

Cho came to the United States in 1992, through Detroit, Michigan, a department of Homeland Security official said. He had lawful permanent residence, via his parents, and renewed his green card in October 2003, the official said.

His residence was listed as Centreville, Virginia, a suburb of Washington, D.C.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #144
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I bet stricter gun laws in VA would have prevented this massacre, but we'll see. It's very easy to buy a gun in VA.
Bet they wouldn't. It may be easy to buy a gun in Virginia but it's also easy to buy one in Tennessee, West Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, or Maryland. If Virginia alone had the absolute strictest gun control laws known to Feinstein, Schumer, Biden and Boxer, it would still be very easy to bring a gun into Virginia from any other state and perpetrate the same heinous crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
RIP, VT students. Sincere condolensces to every family member, and every friend.
Now on THAT I will agree with you.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #145
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Quote:
ER doctor: never seen 'anything like this before'

ER doctor: "The injuries were just amazing"
• The victims he saw "didn't have less than three bullet wounds"
• Seventeen of the wounded remained hospitalized Tuesday
Adjust font size:
Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font

BLACKSBURG, Virginia (CNN) -- It was more like a scene from an episode of "ER" than one from a real-life hospital in a small college town. "Nobody had ever seen anything like this before," CEO for Montgomery Regional Hospital Scott Hill said. "You can never adequately prepare for this level of violence."

On a day where too many died on the scene, many more were taken, injured and bleeding to the hospital. It was a process hindered by the weather. High winds prevented the use of helicopters to move patients, Hill said.

Dr. Joseph Cacioppo, an emergency room doctor at Montgomery, indicated he was stunned when victims began pouring in. "The injuries were just amazing. This man was brutal. There wasn't a shooting victim that didn't have less than three bullet wounds in him," Cacioppo said of the victims he saw.

Not all of the injuries were life threatening. "Even, again, the less serious injuries, we saw one patient that had a bullet wound to the wrist, one to the elbow and one to the thigh. We had another one with a bullet wound to the abdomen, one to the chest and one to the head," Cacioppo said.

Seventeen of the wounded remained hospitalized Tuesday, and at least one of those patients was to be released Tuesday, Hill said. All of the nine patients at Montgomery, including three who had been critical, were now in stable condition, he said.

Montgomery in Blacksburg received a total of 19 patients, Hill said.

In addition, three patients remained at Lewis-Gale Medical Center in Salem, two remained in critical condition at Roanoke Memorial Hospital and three were in stable condition at New River Valley Medical Center in Blacksburg, hospital officials said.

Seven patients had been released from hospitals by Tuesday, Hill said.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #146
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep

little more info about the shooter:

http://newsbloggers.aol.com/2007/04/...ng-huis-plays/
      04-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #147
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleo View Post

holy christ...... that is some intense shit....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #148
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Quote:

Yikes
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #149
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Quote:

I read the first of the 2 "plays," and while it is weird and fully pointless, I don't think that it's any more disturbing than, for example, any of Tarantino's movies. Not to say, of course, that Tarantino is 100% normal ...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #150
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
I read the first of the 2 "plays," and while it is weird and fully pointless, I don't think that it's any more disturbing than, for example, any of Tarantino's movies. Not to say, of course, that Tarantino is 100% normal ...
Well at least he hasn't gone out and acted out his movies...
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #151
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
this is suppose to be a English assignment for a college senior, not a multi-million dollar movie with famous actors made to furfill the crave of sex and violence in order to make money.

these plays should of raised a lot of red flags by anyone who read them, but like it was posted in that link "there is no system where you can go and just say 'hey keep an eye on this guy, he might be a mass murderer'"
      04-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #152
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Quote:
this is suppose to be a English assignment for a college senior, not a multi-million dollar movie with famous actors made to furfill the crave of sex and violence in order to make money.

these plays should of raised a lot of red flags by anyone who read them, but like it was posted in that link "there is no system where you can go and just say 'hey keep an eye on this guy, he might be a mass murderer'"
I agree with the first part in a sense that there is no literary or educational value in his plays. But as to raising red flags just based on those writings (and again, I did not read the second one), I don't think it was fully warranted and as always, hindsight is 20/20. Many writers and wanna-be writers resort to violent scenes and unless it's clear that they want to implement some of those violent acts against real people, I don't think they have to be censored or placed under some sort of surveillance. I don't want to get flamed, but we should not curtail the 1st Amedment freedom of literary expression rights unless kids are the audience ...

I'm with those who support stricter gun and weapon control laws. If he had to travel outside VA to get that 9mm, there would have been a chance that he wouldn't get that gun in the first place. And if he didn't have firearms, he would most likely end up hurting a significanlty smaller number of people.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #153
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
I agree with the first part in a sense that there is no literary or educational value in his plays. But as to raising red flags just based on those writings (and again, I did not read the second one), I don't think it was fully warranted and as always, hindsight is 20/20. Many writers and wanna-be writers resort to violent scenes and unless it's clear that they want to implement some of those violent acts against real people, I don't think they have to be censored or placed under some sort of surveillance. I don't want to get flamed, but we should not curtail the 1st Amedment freedom of literary expression rights unless kids are the audience ...

I'm with those who support stricter gun and weapon control laws. If he had to travel outside VA to get that 9mm, there would have been a chance that he wouldn't get that gun in the first place. And if he didn't have firearms, he would most likely end up hurting a significanlty smaller number of people.
agreed, and very well spoken.
      04-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #154
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool View Post
disgrace to one country or not, to most americans all asians are the same. Its a lose lose situations for all
i personally dislike the sterotypes that Americans have on Asian people, basically to most Americans, Asians = Chinese

When they saw the suspect on campus at VA Tech, they just thought the guy was a Chinese national because he was "Asian", man, Asia is a big place and the most populous continent in the world, just because there are 1.4 BILLION Chinese people doesn't mean all of Asia are Chinese, YES, its true that Chinese blood does run through a lot of the Asian countries (sorry, we like to make lots of babies where ever we go and when ever we want), but that still doesn't Asians = Chinese, in the end, the suspect in fact isn't Chinese

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0