BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2016 CR Car Reliability Survey: Buick does the unthinkable

10-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

2016 CR Car Reliability Survey: Buick does the unthinkable

It's out ... and Buick is the first domestic brand in some 30 years to crack the top 3. Chevy's on the upswing, too.

Some brands are in a downward spiral, too, Honda the big surprise among them. Subaru, VW, and (somewhat) Tesla, too. And not one, not two, but four Fiat Chrysler brands occupy the basement.

Most reliable car: Toyota Prius/Lexus CT 200h. Least reliable: Fiat 500L (followed by the Ford Fiesta).

(BMW, incidentally, is ninth, and once again the 2 Series is the most reliable of all BMW models.)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Not surprising at all that Honda is on a downward trend. They've been cutting quality on mechanical parts since eh, 2007 at least. It's catching up with them.

VW not a surprise either. They'll iron it out in a few years though, I think that's related to US market balance and chassis changes.

Still wouldn't buy a Buick.

Teslas are a bucket of crap and we all know it.

Toyota will continue to reign supreme. They'll take a drop when the BMW joint venture "Supra" finally comes out though.
      10-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Unfortunately CR doesn't know the singular vs. plural form of the word datum... LOL
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I don't understand how Buick is higher rated than its GM cousins when literally every single model they produce is a badge-engineered version of another GM product either domestically or from abroad.

Regardless nobody will care because nobody would be caught dead in a Buick.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I don't understand how Buick is higher rated than its GM cousins when literally every single model they produce is a badge-engineered version of another GM product either domestically or from abroad.

Well... except the Chinese.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

Given Buick is a granny brand I'd say quite a few people have been caught dead in a Buick. Or should we say Opel at this point.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9698.00
VRG_135836.50
      10-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:

Wrong, you are mistaking what you like for what everyone else likes.

YTD #18 out of 37 and ahead of Audi, Infiniti, Chrysler, Acura, ...

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/10...-2016-ytd.html

Also, often times when a company drops a few places on the list it isn't because their reliability went down but instead they didn't keep up with the others who improved.

Last edited by David70; 10-27-2016 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Wrong, you are mistaking what you like for what everyone else likes.

YTD #18 out of 37 and ahead of Audi, Infiniti, Chrysler, Acura, ...

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/10...-2016-ytd.html

Also, often times when a company drops a few places on the list it isn't because their reliability went down but instead they didn't keep up with the others who improved.
I used to live in Michigan and have a lot of connections with GM employees...and they agree that Buicks are sold heavily to fleets and older folks in middle America, that's it!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used to live in Michigan and have a lot of connections with GM employees...and they agree that Buicks are sold heavily to fleets and older folks in middle America, that's it!
Volume is up from the same time period last year, reliability ratings are up, and old folks money is about a useful as everyone else's.

Buick's sales are up 1.2% YTD and BMW's are down 7.9% YTD.
      10-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

VW Gonna VW
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Given Buick is a granny brand I'd say quite a few people have been caught dead in a Buick. Or should we say Opel at this point.
Wrong.

In China, Buick is the status car to own among the middle and upper-middle class. Why? Partially because of what it represents to closed-minded thinkers such as you guys. Other parts of Asia look at Buicks the same way, as does parts of South America.

For that one reason, Buick has done more in the past five years or so to break out of the 'granny' stereotype than Cadillac has -- and Caddy's been trying to do it for nearly 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Wrong.

Wrong.

In China, Buick is the status car to own among the middle and upper-middle class. Why? Partially because of what it represents to closed-minded thinkers such as you guys. Other parts of Asia look at Buicks the same way, as does parts of South America.

For that one reason, Buick has done more in the past five years or so to break out of the 'granny' stereotype than Cadillac has -- and Caddy's been trying to do it for nearly 20 years.

Yes they have by joining forces with Opel. And we all know China and Japan are into some weird shit so that does not surprise me.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #13
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

I don't see why some of you have a hard on for Buick. All their cars feel mediocre from inside, it's a GM parts bin special. They make a nice rental car that's all.

99/100 people under the age of 50 would opt for a stripped A3, CLA, or 320 over a comparably-priced Buick sedan; or a stripped Q3 or X1 over that Encore thing. I know I would. The only reason the brand still exists is b/c of China.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only reason the brand still exists is b/c of China.
Yep, pretty much. It lives, and Pontiac doesn't, precisely for that reason.

1.4 billion pretty much trumps 325 million every day of the week.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17199.00
      10-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't see why some of you have a hard on for Buick. All their cars feel mediocre from inside, it's a GM parts bin special. They make a nice rental car that's all.

99/100 people under the age of 50 would opt for a stripped A3, CLA, or 320 over a comparably-priced Buick sedan; or a stripped Q3 or X1 over that Encore thing. I know I would. The only reason the brand still exists is b/c of China.
And a X3, 4-Series, and GT-Series, are not part bin specials of the 3-Series? And the X1 and 1 series are not part bin specials of Mini
Okay then...
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      10-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

US Sales stats BMW and Buick. BMW is just getting hammered by Buick when looked at percent (%) change numbers:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #17
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

When you say "hard on for Buick" you mean posting the facts not the cars you prefer? I believe everything I posted was facts. Your's seems to be based on what you prefer.

Encore sales YTD - 56k
X1 YTD - 18k
Q3 YTD - 14k

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/12...s-figures.html

Your 99 to 1 ratio is just fantasy.
      10-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #18
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

To the guy who is comparing BMW and Buick....the two brands don't even compete so your argument is null. Two entirely different brands targeting different customers.

To the guy who has a hard on for Buick's sales figures, be mindful that industry incentives are at their highest level since the recession. Buick makes mediocre vehicles, plain and simple. They only sell to (a) old folks in middle america, (b) fleets, and (c) people searching for a bargain.

Trolls.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #19
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
And a X3, 4-Series, and GT-Series, are not part bin specials of the 3-Series? And the X1 and 1 series are not part bin specials of Mini
Okay then...
That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard for GM's badge engineering.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #20
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Quote:

I would get in one if they had another Grand National Regal type car.........
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #21
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To the guy who is comparing BMW and Buick....the two brands don't even compete so your argument is null. Two entirely different brands targeting different customers.

To the guy who has a hard on for Buick's sales figures, be mindful that industry incentives are at their highest level since the recession. Buick makes mediocre vehicles, plain and simple. They only sell to (a) old folks in middle america, (b) fleets, and (c) people searching for a bargain.

Trolls.
Good sir: Check the Posts and Rep(utation) numbers of Efthreeoh and I.

Now, check yours.

Who's the troll again?

#CantTaketheHeatGetOutoftheKitchen

Last edited by Viffermike; 10-28-2016 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard for GM's badge engineering.
Most of the industry has been "badge engineering" for over 60 years. It's a great way to make good, inexpensive cars, and grow market share. 10 years ago BMW was advertising that it doesn't share platforms between models because it is an engineering compromise. Now BMW is sharing platforms between BMW and Mini, and BMW and Rolls Royce. VW makes almost 30 models off of one platform. Porsche shares it's SUVs with VW platforms. So your crap about GM badge engineering is actually quite common within the industry and BMW is now just coming around to it.

But have fun keeping your head up your ass.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-29-2016 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00