BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > iDrive settings: Individual ventilation

12-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

iDrive settings: Individual ventilation

Hi

Was browsing around in iDrive yesterday, when I discovered an option in the iDrive Setting menu.

If you go Menu --> settings --> climate (I have the regular screen, no navi, and no apps), you activate Individual ventilation (or something like that - don'r remember exactly what it said), with two timers.

I looked it up in the on-board manual, but I didn't really get my head around it.

What does this option actually do? I tested it with the timer set 2 min forward in time (had the ignition switched on to access the Setting menu), and a fan symbol appeared in the automatic climate control unit.
after the two minutes (with the ignition and engine switched off): the symbol started flashing, and the fan started blowing cold air).

Does anyone have an explaination of what this is/what it's function is?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

You can program the car to turn on the fan at a certain time.

It's supposed to cool the car down when it's parked.

I don't think you'll need the feature soon in Norway
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Its all explained in the full manual mate. Its so you can program the climate controll to ventilate the car at a set time. Mind that it is only ventilating electrically so no A/C or heating since the engine wont be running.

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep

Aah, makes kind of sense.
A shame though - a couple of colleagues are driving the new Volvo S60/V60's with parking warmer and Volvo On Call system, and they're always going on and on about the VOC app and starting the parking heater in the morning, going out in a warm car and driving off to work. And the days it was snowing like hell here, they just put on the parking warmer a couple of hours before finishing work, and they went out to snow free, warm cars. A brilliant, simple and cheap system!

Was kind of hoping for something similar on the BMW (but then again, it's a much better driving machine!). Could be useful on warm summer days though - yes, we have that, even in Norway.
But then again,
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
The system you mention is also available as an aftermarket by bmw. It seems to work in the same way also. I found it under the accessery section on the bmw website:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...er/finder.html
I do think its a bit expensive though...

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep

I think it's a part of BMW apps, am I right? In that case, you will need Navi Pro (which kosts like £2000 here in Norway, and a couple of extra options (internet?) to get it working. It's a bit expensive, the Volvo system costs only around £900, then it's part of a package with several other options. Think it costs £5-600 as a stand alone with engine heater.
Appreciate 0