BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Car Decision: Newer 335i LCI or E55 AMG

10-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
BigBoi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e90

Car Decision: Newer 335i LCI or E55 AMG

im torn between a decision of stickin with BMW and gettin a newer 335i LCI (09-12) or gettin an old AMG car.

I recently sold my 08 bmw 335i which was a fun car to drive, tuned and all but gave me some problems with oil leaks and cooling issues. Now im deciding on whether to get a newer 335i or an AMG car.

Ive been lookin into some Mercedes e55 amg w211 around the $20k range with under 50k miles.

ANyone have experiences with this platform? and how much would maintence be vs my bmw?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

I've got a '13 335i and I owned a w211 e55. The e55 is a monster. That supercharged 5.4l is on a whole different level compared to the n55. If you don't mind the old school auto transmission in the e55 then it's a no brainer. The only real disadvantage to the e55 is the air suspension. It can be floaty feeling and doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. The e55 makes a beautiful noise too.... the 335 not so much. Maintenance is comparable. The air suspension being the big ticket item that tends to be iffy. The drivetrain is bulletproof.

I miss my e55 just thinking about this.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
BigBoi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
I've got a '13 335i and I owned a w211 e55. The e55 is a monster. That supercharged 5.4l is on a whole different level compared to the n55. If you don't mind the old school auto transmission in the e55 then it's a no brainer. The only real disadvantage to the e55 is the air suspension. It can be floaty feeling and doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. The e55 makes a beautiful noise too.... the 335 not so much. Maintenance is comparable. The air suspension being the big ticket item that tends to be iffy. The drivetrain is bulletproof.

I miss my e55 just thinking about this.
Did u have any problems with cooling issues? Heatsoak? Being a 5.4l V8 supercharge i wouldnt be surprise if it didnt get hot driving around for hrs. With my n54 engine i had problems with cooling issues and coolant lines being deteriorated.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoi View Post
Did u have any problems with cooling issues? Heatsoak? Being a 5.4l V8 supercharge i wouldnt be surprise if it didnt get hot driving around for hrs. With my n54 engine i had problems with cooling issues and coolant lines being deteriorated.
The engine heat soaks after repeated back to back pulls. There are some basic mods to alleviate this. I never had issues with heat just driving around with a heavy foot. The stock cooling system doesn't really fall apart like that. If the engine is getting too warm it will actually disengage the supercharger.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Quote:
Cooling system has its disadvantages just like the N54.. early factory IC pumps were crap so its a common and cheap DIY to upgrade to the newest spec or aftermarket alternatives. Once you get smaller pulleys on and push more boost you're going to want a larger IC too.

Awesome cars.. I wanted one and look into them but the leaking fuel tank/fuel senders were starting to scare me. I would say repairs and maintenance is more demanding than the average 335i.. 10k on the rear tires is a tall order for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
Cooling system has its disadvantages just like the N54.. early factory IC pumps were crap so its a common and cheap DIY to upgrade to the newest spec or aftermarket alternatives. Once you get smaller pulleys on and push more boost you're going to want a larger IC too.

Awesome cars.. I wanted one and look into them but the leaking fuel tank/fuel senders were starting to scare me. I would say repairs and maintenance is more demanding than the average 335i.. 10k on the rear tires is a tall order for them.
My E55 was rock solid, as are most of them. Upgrading to the CM30 pump definitely goes a long ways in helping the cooling issues. The 05-06 cars were significantly better reliability wise compared to the 03-04 cars. The parts are definitely more expensive than a 335, largely because its a much more expensive car new. For instance, the 8 piston front brakes on the 05-06 cars require 2 sets of pads for each side. Tires are definitely a big wear item. 500ft/lbs is a lot of torque to keep under control and it can easily reach 700ft/lbs with mods.

I wouldn't worry about the leaking fuel tank issue on E55s anymore than I would worry about the HPFP issue on 335s. All expensive German cars have their share of issues (especially things that the internet blows out of proportion). I would say the average well maintained 05-06 E55 is just as reliable if not more so than the average 335.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the leaking fuel tank issue on E55s anymore than I would worry about the HPFP issue on 335s. All expensive German cars have their share of issues (especially things that the internet blows out of proportion). I would say the average well maintained 05-06 E55 is just as reliable if not more so than the average 335.
Yesss! I don't own either but this statement is what I also tell people!
So many people freak out about one thing going wrong with our cars and then panic. Cars, like anything else, will break down over time.
Each car/manufacturer will have its own share of problems.
      10-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

I know you said E55... but have you considered the C55? Much simpler in design, less things to go wrong and it is probably the most reliable of your choices. I only bring this up because i have one right now, and i came from a 335i. Great choice in my mind! Take a look at them.

this isn't mine, but you can see they look very similar... and they go for cheap nowadays around 15K or so...

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep

Worst idea ever.

The C55 was a slug back in the day and even more so now. The E55 is on a whole different level in just about every regard. The supercharged 5.4l is THE big reason for buying an AMG of that era. It really is an engine every car enthusiast should experience at some point.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
NorCal Einstein
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport

Quote:
Worst idea ever.

The C55 was a slug back in the day and even more so now. The E55 is on a whole different level in just about every regard. The supercharged 5.4l is THE big reason for buying an AMG of that era. It really is an engine every car enthusiast should experience at some point.
I've driven both C55 and E55 and I agree, C55 is a horrible option if what you're originally considering is a E55. The W203 looks so dated and the performance is bleh. The newer AMG C-Class cars are a different story...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
BigBoi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just test drove the a 2005 E55 at the dealer, and OMG that was amazing, instant power while still maintaining a luxury feel. Im definitely hooked on this car.

Not a fan of the C-class as id rather buy another 335i over a C-class anyday.

Im thinking of taking the dive and purchasing a private owned 2004 E55 AMG with about 59xxx miles for under $18k. There is only one owner and was maitained through a Mercedes dealership.

Any other things i should look for before buying this vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just test drove the a 2005 E55 at the dealer, and OMG that was amazing, instant power while still maintaining a luxury feel. Im definitely hooked on this car.

Not a fan of the C-class as id rather buy another 335i over a C-class anyday.

Im thinking of taking the dive and purchasing a private owned 2004 E55 AMG with about 59xxx miles for under $18k. There is only one owner and was maitained through a Mercedes dealership.

Any other things i should look for before buying this vehicle?
Find out when the brakes were done. They should have been done not too long ago. I redid mine at ~53,000 miles. If they need done low ball the crap out of them because that's a good chunk of change.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
BigBoi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Find out when the brakes were done. They should have been done not too long ago. I redid mine at ~53,000 miles. If they need done low ball the crap out of them because that's a good chunk of change.
Just test drove the car, had a few issues that i was scared of but didnt knw. When the car starts up there is long, wierd whining/whistling sound (and im not talking about the supercharger whistle, it was almost simultaneous with it)

Brakes were recently done, but rotors werent. (pretty wierd), tpms sensors needed to be replaced and one rear sensor was missing.

Overall a wel maintained car but what distracted me was the wierd high pitch whistle wen starting up the car, it lasted for about 30 secs or so. But when the car was warmed up, it ran very smooth.

Any input on this? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Just test drove the car, had a few issues that i was scared of but didnt knw. When the car starts up there is long, wierd whining/whistling sound (and im not talking about the supercharger whistle, it was almost simultaneous with it)

Brakes were recently done, but rotors werent. (pretty wierd), tpms sensors needed to be replaced and one rear sensor was missing.

Overall a wel maintained car but what distracted me was the wierd high pitch whistle wen starting up the car, it lasted for about 30 secs or so. But when the car was warmed up, it ran very smooth.

Bad water pump or bad (belt)tensioner maybe? How many miles? Has the water pump been changed?

Btw.... Do any of you guys listen to The Smoking Tire... a few podcast's ago... they were talking about these E55's at the local street drag races at night(illegal). Seems all you need is a chip and a new s/c pulley and your into the 10's with these cars. THAT'S NUTS!!!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

All E55s make that whine on cold start. It's the transmission pump. It's not a sign of a bad one or anything. The design of the pump makes the whine. A lot of people get wielded out by it but it hasn't been linked to any actual issues.

The rotors likely need replaced as well. Sounds like they did half a brake job. Haggle the price or get them to replace them and the tpms sensors.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Bad water pump or bad (belt)tensioner maybe? How many miles? Has the water pump been changed?

Btw.... Do any of you guys listen to The Smoking Tire... a few podcast's ago... they were talking about these E55's at the local street drag races at night(illegal). Seems all you need is a chip and a new s/c pulley and your into the 10's with these cars. THAT'S NUTS!!!

Dackel
$3000 will put you over 600hp and close to 700ft/lbs. They're monster engines.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #17
BigBoi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Dackel
Quote:
All E55s make that whine on cold start. It's the transmission pump. It's not a sign of a bad one or anything. The design of the pump makes the whine. A lot of people get wielded out by it but it hasn't been linked to any actual issues.

The rotors likely need replaced as well. Sounds like they did half a brake job. Haggle the price or get them to replace them and the tpms sensors.
@Dackelone Car has 59k miles, car temp didnt go up much wen i was driving around for 20 mins or so puching it on the freeway and local roads.

@pukicabuki i never heard the noise wen i test drove an 05 E55 from the dealer, just the supercharger whining noise which im familiar with, this 2004 E55 makes another loud pitch noise aside from the supercharger. i feel like either the belts are causing it or the pulleys. idk, i told the owner to ask their mechanic what the problem was and they will get back to me hopefully this week. Very honest seller btw, 1 owner vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #18
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
@Dackelone Car has 59k miles, car temp didnt go up much wen i was driving around for 20 mins or so puching it on the freeway and local roads.

@pukicabuki i never heard the noise wen i test drove an 05 E55 from the dealer, just the supercharger whining noise which im familiar with, this 2004 E55 makes another loud pitch noise aside from the supercharger. i feel like either the belts are causing it or the pulleys. idk, i told the owner to ask their mechanic what the problem was and they will get back to me hopefully this week. Very honest seller btw, 1 owner vehicle.
Cool. Just be patient trying to find the right car. They are getting older and clean ones are becoming rarer. After that just have fun with it. They're great cars.

I still miss mine sometimes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #19
BigBoi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Very Clean ride man, now ur tempting me even more haha. Wat the fitment on those wheels it make it flush like yours? Offset/Tire specs pls.
Appreciate 0