BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Long time BMW M man and current VP of Engineering, Albert Biermann, leaves BMW

12-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #111
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli, E92m, FTR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Here is the thing, the Gen 5.0 isn't a competitor to the 435i, so why even mention it with the 435i, which is a coupe? If anything it would be comparable more to the 5 series.
Of course the Gen 5.0 will be cheaper, as the BMW holds a premium over Hyundai's Gen line of cars---of which they seriously need to sub brand it and have dealerships for.
As to the question of how is Hyundais electric steering, it is brilliant. I often laugh about how much better it is than the F10s steering. It's overall a better car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #112
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnI
The reason many BMW top managers are leaving now is the so called "Rule 60" which is strictly followed within BMW AG.

It's an internal BMW AG corporate rule saying BMW top executive officials (heads, chiefs, presidents, vice-presidents etc) can only be in the top position until they turn 60 - then they are obliged to step down (and either retire, leave for a job @ another company, or take a non-executive job within BMW - which is actually a downgrade for a person's career).

Therefore many active top BMW managers (who want to continue their respected managerial careers) prepare to leave the company when they are close to 60, and continue their careers @ other companies ... even beyond 60. And if / when they got an attractive offer, they definitely take it.

Current BMW Group CEO Reithofer is 58, M GmbH CEO Nitschke is 59, BMW Group Head of R&B Diess is 57, and Biermann is 56.

Meaning they are all under "Rule 60" impact in the following few years. Therefore it's time for a new generation of managers. BMW AG new CEO Krger (ex-chief of production BMW Group) is 49, new M GmbH director van Meel (ex-managing director of Audi Quattro GmbH division) is 48 etc. I'm sure M GmbH Head of development will also be someone younger.

And so Diess went to VAG to manage VW Passenger Cars Division, Biermann went to Hyundai, Nitschke is retiring, Reithofer will be offer a position of BMW Group supervisory board chairman (which is a top non-executive position within BMW Group - current held by ex-CEO Milberg who is 71).

Frhlich, who replaced Diess as BMW Group Chief of R&D is also turning 55 soon, so he's also close to 60. I would not be surprised he also leaves soon and is replaced with someone younger.

There's no other reason behind ... No conspiracy theory. No Armageddon approaching. It's a natural change of generations @ top positions in the company. BMW AG does it every decade, actually. In 2006 Reithofer replaced Panke who was 60 then. And in in May 2015 Krger will replace Reithofer who will turn 59 then.
This would be a better ideology if the "Rule of 60" meant you retired outright or took on a more "hands off/figurehead" type role (assuming your ego could take that). But if this pushes your best brains to the competition I'm not thinking its so smart. Hopefully part of the decision making process was to go to a car company that doesn't directly compete with BMW's demographic (ie Hyundai vs Audi or Mercedes). Not saying this is the ruination of BMW just saying as a management practice giving someone a shelf life that expires before their usable career life is up has the potential to backfire on you. There should be a non-competition clause in your contracts to protect this (although I've heard in North America at least those are rarely enforced, not sure about Germany or what happens when you go International).
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 02:48 AM   #113
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot View Post
Biermann's departure may indicate BMW is in the process of a significant change.
Doubt it. He's one person in an organization. I'd struggle to make anything significant about it. His departure merely reflects that his ambitions are no longer aligned with said organization. People change jobs all the time. I doubt that he is a canary in the mine shaft, so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #114
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
good read

http://blog.caranddriver.com/hyundai...hief-engineer/

Biermann knows the soul of BMW. The "rule 60" does not apply in this case. Every company has bylaws that can grant exceptions if critical talent and skill must be preserved. This applies to CEOs as well. Clearly he did not see the top exec shuffle as a positive sign based on this article. Sad news for BMW. Hyundai has no idea what they just got.
Car and who?
Another sensationalist piece of journalism to get the "enthusiast" riled up!
Besides new talent at M. Fedeli will be responsible for 7+.
The new models that will be decided above the 7er and i8.
Another announcement will be made in the run up to Geneva who is joining BMW. We lose but we also gain.
      12-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #115
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

I sure wish the Ms would drive more like a 458. Sounds like a good swap.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #116
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
good read

http://blog.caranddriver.com/hyundai...hief-engineer/

Biermann knows the soul of BMW. The "rule 60" does not apply in this case. Every company has bylaws that can grant exceptions if critical talent and skill must be preserved. This applies to CEOs as well. Clearly he did not see the top exec shuffle as a positive sign based on this article. Sad news for BMW. Hyundai has no idea what they just got.

BMW turfed last 2 CEOs under this rule despite their desperate and public efforts to remain. No exceptions there.

Also, of some interest is the 'crowning achievement' comment from Car and Driver....
Attached Images

12-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #117
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Car and who?
Another sensationalist piece of journalism to get the "enthusiast" riled up!
Besides new talent at M. Fedeli will be responsible for 7+.
The new models that will be decided above the 7er and i8.
Another announcement will be made in the run up to Geneva who is joining BMW. We lose but we also gain.

Certainly this is not the best way to treat senior experienced passionate leaders with significant knowledge and it shows that the board does not care about the brand building. There are E30 M3's with a for sale price at $100K!? Do you think that F80 M3 will have the same asking price in 25 years?

Also, you can try to discredit C&D as much as you want but they've been around a long time and had nothing but the best reviews of E36, E46, E39, etc over 10+ years to the point that readers thought the reviewers and editors worked for BMW. You know this very well.

Changing and evolving is a natural process but it appears that BMW is more focused on short term financial goals than long term brand building. Wish you guys all the best but don't expect enthusiasts to stick around for much longer. This change is happening right now also.

Happy Holidays!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #118
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
BMW turfed last 2 CEOs under this rule despite their desperate and public efforts to remain. No exceptions there.

Also, of some interest is the 'crowning achievement' comment from Car and Driver....

One of the senior mechanics at my Indy bought Genesis coupe last year. This guy has access to some pretty good BMW deals yet he decided not to purchase them. I asked him how come you bought Genesis? He said reliability and performance value is tremendous and there is nothing at BMW that comes even close! BMW could not sell last model Z4's. It is one of the biggest flops. Simply unbelievable!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #119
newBMWownr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I sat next to Herr Biermann and his wife at dinner at an M-Power event in Marseilles a few years back. He is an absolute gentleman and a real car guy (probably obviously). He talked fondly about importing a late 60's/early 70's Oldsmobile 98 (IIRC) convertible from the U.S. to Germany. An absolute tank, but he was as fond of talking about that car as any of the M models he was involved with.

Hyundai/KIA are definitely pulling out the stops. I think they used Lotus for late-stage suspension tuning on the current Genesis. I wish him all the the best and continued success.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #120
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Such an incredibly sad day! Too many old school M guys leaving! As is the rawness of what made M cars so special and different from other cars on the road.
      06-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #121
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Thanks for the thread resurrection, Jesus. You sure considered your audience with that post.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2023, 03:31 PM   #122
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Pretty sure he went to Hyundai didn't he? Anyways, he will be missed
Appreciate 0