BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > ZF 8HP problems

02-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #23
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
I was actually considering your comment as a joke... I cannot find the connection between China and gearbox problems at the moment..? China has been BMW's biggest market since 2013 so I am quite sure their cars can handle the environment here. No need to start bashing China - if you don't like it - don't go here or buy their products.
I'm not and it's not a joke, communist are not welcome in our free world so if you're not fantastic but if you are a communist and supporter you know mine and a lot other feelings from the free world.
      02-13-2015, 11:19 PM   #24
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I'm not and it's not a joke, communist are not welcome in our free world so if you're not fantastic but if you are a communist and supporter you know mine and a lot other feelings from the free world.

You need to keep your political and/or racist views to yourself.
This is not the forum for it
Appreciate 4
      02-13-2015, 11:58 PM   #25
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Agree ai bro !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #26
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Now that you have had your saying and everyone have heard you - can we then move on to talking about cars and mechanics? Thank you
      02-18-2015, 03:06 AM   #27
Rbezzz
Rep

Back on topic. Mine is also jerky and it also tends to surge in acceleration during those times. All this is generally while it is cold. The other annoyance I have that it is it is slow to change down to first in comfort mode so if I pull up to a roundabout or to turn left and there is nothing coming I get back on the gas and it kicks down. This is when going nice a slow and crusy and not stomping on it. It really shits me as when I have people in the car and it's cold it is bloody hard to drive it smoothly!

Anyway once it is up and warm and you are fanging it or in manual mode the gearbox is great.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #28
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbezzz View Post
Back on topic. Mine is also jerky and it also tends to surge in acceleration during those times. All this is generally while it is cold. The other annoyance I have that it is it is slow to change down to first in comfort mode so if I pull up to a roundabout or to turn left and there is nothing coming I get back on the gas and it kicks down. This is when going nice a slow and crusy and not stomping on it. It really shits me as when I have people in the car and it's cold it is bloody hard to drive it smoothly!

Anyway once it is up and warm and you are fanging it or in manual mode the gearbox is great.
You should try this battery disconnect reset. It worked great for me
      03-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #29
Slyly
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F20 1.16

I sometimes hear a mechanic noise of gear changes after some hard run.

And another thing i dont like is when i am parking my car after the last maneuver i put the gb on neutral pull the handbrake pull my feet off from brake pedal put my feet back on brake pedal then put it in Park. When i leave my feet off the pedal the car lunges forward or backward as if the gear is not detached completely (not according to the terrain or slope but more likely to the last position of gb (of reverse or drive)). It annoys me when it lunges as i am stepping out. This does not happen all the time but mostly.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #30
banmine
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyly View Post
I sometimes hear a mechanic noise of gear changes after some hard run.

And another thing i dont like is when i am parking my car after the last maneuver i put the gb on neutral pull the handbrake pull my feet off from brake pedal put my feet back on brake pedal then put it in Park. When i leave my feet off the pedal the car lunges forward or backward as if the gear is not detached completely (not according to the terrain or slope but more likely to the last position of gb (of reverse or drive)). It annoys me when it lunges as i am stepping out. This does not happen all the time but mostly.
i hate this lunging motion too, and it makes me feel the handbrakes are not pulled tight enough.

maybe coming from the 6spd dsg, this the slight jerk in the low gears at low speeds seems quite normal to me i shall bring it to the dealer to see if anything can be done during my servicing.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #31
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyly View Post
when i am parking my car after the last maneuver i put the gb on neutral pull the handbrake pull my feet off from brake pedal put my feet back on brake pedal then put it in Park.
I just can't help wondering: why so complex? Are you saying your prayers in between? I would (and did) reduce that to "put it in Park". Just this simple. Manual-compliant. (No offence, just curiosity. )
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 02:11 AM   #32
Slyly
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I just can't help wondering: why so complex? Are you saying your prayers in between? I would (and did) reduce that to "put it in Park". Just this simple. Manual-compliant. (No offence, just curiosity. )
I was doing so as well. than i felt the lung motion probably and made me feel as if it was my fault so wanted to give it a try the other way around (this or i saw a friend doing so ). Now it is my regular ceremony for parkin It takes 3 seconds tho.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 01:41 AM   #33
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philisme View Post
One guy on this forum contacted ZF France and they replied :

Quote:
"I come to you pursuant to information that I requested from our support department in Germany for your noise when going backwards.

Cases of damage planetary gears train No. 3 can produce this noise.

No information was given to me on the lifetime of a gearbox experiencing this problem.

We advise you to get closer to BMW for support for this repair.
And then, ZF France contacted his dealership to report this problem to BMW France. And to confirm that ZF will replace the gearbox under warranty.

Do you have this whistling too ?
I don't know about you but that seems like A* customer service! I'm very pleased with ZF's response on that one!

FYI - there are Gen 1 and Gen 2 8HP gearboxes. Gen 2 went into production mid 2014. So a 2013 BMW must only have Gen 1 8HP. There are some key differences. The main difference that stood out for me was that the Gen2 has the ability to go immediately into engine shut off when the car comes to a stop. Gen1 has to wait 1.5s. I therefore devise that I have a Gen2 in my 2015 M135i because I have had engine shut off (ASS) when the car still has inertia from coming to a stop. The result is (this has happened twice) when coming to a stop, the engine shuts off, but since my foot is not hard on the brake (I feather the brake when coming to a stop so it's smooth), the gearbox has detected movement and restarted the engine a split second after shut off.
I think we should try and separate out the issues between the gen1 and gen2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_M135i View Post
It is a bit slow on the 2-1 gear change for me. Particularly coming up to a give way sign at an intersection, I move forward slowly while checking each direction which only takes a split second to confirm no traffic. I accelerate but it is still in second and it just loads up the torque converter, then dumps it into first and chirps the rears... It's a little annoying, but I just figure its the price you pay for driving an auto..... should've gone manual lol
I don't experience this jerkyness. However I have experienced frequent 1-2-1-2-1 shifting when I've been parking in multi storey car parks. Even so, change is smooth. To work around this 1-2-1-2-1 I move the gear lever to manual and keep the car in 1st. PS the auto is way better than the manual in a few ways - better fuel economy and better 0-100kmh time are just two
The only time I've found the gearbox to jerk is when in sports mode. The gear changes are aggressive in sports mode I have found.

Last edited by dishy; 08-05-2015 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #34
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

Interesting re: gen 1 and gen 2 gearbox, dishy. I didn't realise that. I wonder if there are many other differences.

I have a 2013 M135i and have been told I'll likely be getting a replacement auto gearbox. Waiting to hear the final verdict after they sent off some final diagnostics yesterday. I had my 2yr service done recently and mentioned that the whine when reversing had become considerably louder in recent months: after they drove it, they agreed and opened a PUMA case with BMW Australia.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 01:25 AM   #35
viperstealth
Registered
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport,170hp, Auto

8HP45 problems

Apologies if I am resurrecting an old thread, but I believe since I am new to the forums, I do not have the authority to open a new thread.
I will try to be sort because this is a long story. If you feel that you need more info plz let me know.
I own a BMW F20 118i Sport, 1.6 lt, 170 hp, automatic 8-speed gearbox which was bought on April 2012 and of course today it is not under warranty. This car was always serviced on BMW Cyprus Dealership from where I bought it new. It now has 58.000 km.
About 5 months ago I started experiencing issues with the automatic transmission:
1. When shifting from P or N to D, the completion of the gear engaging took around 2-3 seconds and it was completed with a sudden kick of the car, much like as if someone had crashed at the back of the car with around 10-15 km/h.
2. All gear changes whether up or down are not done smoothly. They either feel taking a couple of seconds to complete, or they introduce a small kick.
Everything started after I had an oil service and the rear brake pads replace. This problem comes and goes. Sometimes the gear changes are smoother than on other times.
All the above happens no matter whether engine is hot or cold, but I think it starts happening when the car is parked downhill or when it is parked 2 wheels on the pavement and 2 wheels on the road.
The car dealership here in Cyprus did not give me a specific cause to the problem. No problem is shown in the Diagnostics they run. They claimed that they contacted BMW Germany and their final answer was a 10,000€ gearbox replacement making me a final offer of around 3,500€. I do not have a problem replacing the gearbox but the dealership is unable to answer simple questions such as:
Will the problem happen again?
Will the problem be fixed and never come back?
Why are the gear changes sometimes smooth and other times they are not?
I took the car back from the dealership and decided to take it to other service shops for a second opinion. At the same time, I had to pass the car through an MOT inspection and I had to change the rear tires in order to do so because they were completely flat. I replaced them and as soon as I drove the car a few meters, the gear shifting problem was reduced by a lot!
I contacted the dealership asking, why just a simple rear tires replacement, made the problem go away like 70%? They again were unable to give me a straightforward answer.
To make matters worse, the BMW Cyprus Dealership changed the software on the car, I am not sure but it looks like they made a downgrade, and now at Sport mode with DS the gear changes are made above 6500 rpm which I don’t think it something normal or at least it didn’t used to be like that. I distinctly remember that all gear changes in driving mode where made well below 6500 rpm.
Does anyone experience such an issue?
Does anyone know if such a kicking in gear changes can happen because of improper adjustment of the suspension or any other part in the car? Could it be that I only need a simple gearbox oil change?
Please please help. I used to be a BMW addict (sleeping and waking up with the BMW badge in my mind) and no matter what people said I always supported BMW but now…I do not know that to believe. I don’t want to lose my faith because of a BAD dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #36
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstealth View Post
Please please help. I used to be a BMW addict (sleeping and waking up with the BMW badge in my mind) and no matter what people said I always supported BMW but now…I do not know that to believe. I don’t want to lose my faith because of a BAD dealership.
A subjective view on gear changes is difficult to argue. Humans are good to find connections in the most unlikely events... Personally I dont think there is any relation between the way you park or tire changes and the way your gearbox behaves.
My gearbox is far from perfect - especially in Sport+ with moderate driving it is a bit weird - WOT is usually flawless.
Try to disconnect your battery over night and see what happens - it worked for me a few times.
      04-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #37
Slyly
Private
No_Country
Rep

Recently started. When my car is going down a hill in drive and i am not applyinh any gas, the car "jumps" back and forth. I dont know if how i can describe it by writing. I think it can either be the brakes or the transmission. The car does not show any warnings. Neither on its system nor when connected to BMW Diagnostics.

Any1 had the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 04:58 AM   #38
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstealth View Post
Apologies if I am resurrecting an old thread, but I believe since I am new to the forums, I do not have the authority to open a new thread.
I will try to be sort because this is a long story. If you feel that you need more info plz let me know.
I own a BMW F20 118i Sport, 1.6 lt, 170 hp, automatic 8-speed gearbox which was bought on April 2012 and of course today it is not under warranty. This car was always serviced on BMW Cyprus Dealership from where I bought it new. It now has 58.000 km.
About 5 months ago I started experiencing issues with the automatic transmission:
1. When shifting from P or N to D, the completion of the gear engaging took around 2-3 seconds and it was completed with a sudden kick of the car, much like as if someone had crashed at the back of the car with around 10-15 km/h.
2. All gear changes whether up or down are not done smoothly. They either feel taking a couple of seconds to complete, or they introduce a small kick.
Everything started after I had an oil service and the rear brake pads replace. This problem comes and goes. Sometimes the gear changes are smoother than on other times.
All the above happens no matter whether engine is hot or cold, but I think it starts happening when the car is parked downhill or when it is parked 2 wheels on the pavement and 2 wheels on the road.
The car dealership here in Cyprus did not give me a specific cause to the problem. No problem is shown in the Diagnostics they run. They claimed that they contacted BMW Germany and their final answer was a 10,000€ gearbox replacement making me a final offer of around 3,500€. I do not have a problem replacing the gearbox but the dealership is unable to answer simple questions such as:
Will the problem happen again?
Will the problem be fixed and never come back?
Why are the gear changes sometimes smooth and other times they are not?
I took the car back from the dealership and decided to take it to other service shops for a second opinion. At the same time, I had to pass the car through an MOT inspection and I had to change the rear tires in order to do so because they were completely flat. I replaced them and as soon as I drove the car a few meters, the gear shifting problem was reduced by a lot!
I contacted the dealership asking, why just a simple rear tires replacement, made the problem go away like 70%? They again were unable to give me a straightforward answer.
To make matters worse, the BMW Cyprus Dealership changed the software on the car, I am not sure but it looks like they made a downgrade, and now at Sport mode with DS the gear changes are made above 6500 rpm which I don’t think it something normal or at least it didn’t used to be like that. I distinctly remember that all gear changes in driving mode where made well below 6500 rpm.
Does anyone experience such an issue?
Does anyone know if such a kicking in gear changes can happen because of improper adjustment of the suspension or any other part in the car? Could it be that I only need a simple gearbox oil change?
After a software upgrade, your gearbox adaption is lost. This will change according to your driving style after a while. This engine is also perfect to tune - can add about 50hp with just a Stage1 tune.
      05-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #39
invisigoth
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d, 2016 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
absolutely mate!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 01:04 AM   #40
Hoss1
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 M135i

I too have a whining sound coming from my 2014 M135i 8-AT when reversing. Yesterday I visited the dealer to discuss the issue. I was told by the tech that listened to the whine that it was normal due to reverse gear being a direct-drive. The tech also told me that the transmission in my car was a Getrag, not a ZF. The dealership had not heard anything about transmission replacements, but suggested I return if the noise gets worse or it starts in the forward gears.

Today I called BMW Australia as my further research suggested that the transmission is a ZF. BMWA told me that they had no technical staff I could speak to and instead transferred me to a Sydney dealership. The parts consultant told me that my car has the ZF transmission. I've since emailed BMWA to seek their advice and am awaiting their reply.

On the Baby BMW forum there are examples of the ZF transmission being replaced under warranty.

Has any Australian F20 owner with the ZF 8-AT had the matter addressed by BMWA?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 01:57 AM   #41
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Direct drives are rather noise free, so I think it is more likely that the gears for reverse are straight cut.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 03:12 AM   #42
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss1 View Post
I was told by the tech that listened to the whine that it was normal due to reverse gear being a direct-drive. The tech also told me that the transmission in my car was a Getrag, not a ZF.
Dont waste your time with that "tech" again
      06-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #43
Hoss1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Dont waste your time with that "tech" again
Yes, I'm inclined to agree. Unfortunately, I don't think I have a choice. He's one of the senior techs!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #44
Hoss1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Direct drives are rather noise free, so I think it is more likely that the gears for reverse are straight cut.
You make a good point. Although I would have thought that in this modern era, transmission whine would not be heard. I've had a few automatics over the years and none of them whined.
Appreciate 0