BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > ON THE LOT: New Mineral White 116i Sportline F20

08-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
ON THE LOT: New Mineral White 116i Sportline F20

My lovely little F20 was finally delivered this morning and I absolutely love it!

Apologies in advance for these really poor pictures, I will try and update my Bimmerpost Album at some point in August with better resolution images.

First Impressions:
The F20 is significantly better than the outgoing E87 in every department: it has a more mature primary and secondary ride giving it a bigger, premium car driving feel. The 116i is much more spirited than my equivalent E87, more so in Sport mode where it is eager and keeps up with traffic.The quality of the interior finish is better too (built to a budget but better than rivals with possibly the Audi A3 as an exception). Noticeably more room in the rear though the RWD tunnel is quite intrusive as you'd expect. Bigger boot or atleast a more useable space.

Pleasantly Surprised By:
1. How good the LED Corona rings look: getting the Vis Pack is highly recommended
2. How many compliments we got for the "Urban line white gloss grille"
3. EcoPro; those little gubbins are less gimmicky than I imagined
4. On this 116i, I found the best ride and response in Comfort mode - I never thought i'd drive a BMW in anything but 'Sport' mode
5. Love the deep door pockets and big glovebox which are sectioned and actually usable

Early days but not so sure about
  1. Ambient lighting is a bit basic [liked having LED strips and directional lights front and rear on my F07, and the retired E87 had Extended Lighting package]
  2. Limited cubbyholes around front dashboard [blanks]

Happy to report that I had no problems with:
  • Bluetooth pairing with the iPhone 4s
  • My aftermarket Y-cable off eBay with the iPhone 4s
  • The air-conditioning blower
  • DAB/FM radio reception

This is primarily my wife's car in and around town but I expect to drive it a lot more than I ever did the E87 we just retired.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
beautiful my friend
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
GSH
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Garage List
Looks sweet, got my grilles fitted the other day. Need to take some more snaps. But thanks for the tip on getting them...makes the car look quality.

Pics of mine in my garage. Will update with new pics soon with Urban grilles
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Congrads, nice 1er
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Congrats! Nice ride
I fully understand your entusiasm even though you have a decent garage to choose from. I find myself driving the F20 a lot more than expected, and it makes just as much fun as the F12 - only in a different way

Last edited by Superspeed; 08-09-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Simply Beautiful....I really like the combo of Mineral White with White kindey grills...maybe I should try it in my Alpine White.

Totally agree with you about the Xenons.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Congratulations, welcome to the club!

I have to say that the Urban grille combined with the black Sportline airdam bar does make for a really great looking combination. The contrast gives it real presence, nice :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thank you all for your generous comments.

I think the Urban Line grilles would look great on both Alpine White and Mineral White cars. Has got several compliments: from the folks at the dealership who hadn't seen it before to neighbours and friends. Thanks to Manteroo who showed me that it could be done and looked great.

It's not expensive to mod: £67 in parts and most dealers should swap it FOC if you go via your sales guy. DIY guides on here as well.

Can I also say how absolutely fab Mineral White is! Very hard to photograph properly without looking like AW, I think the 3rd and 4th pictures in my set begin to get there - but in the sunlight, it just has the most understated metallic lift that is great. Wife loves it! The best album I have seen comes from iShoot here

Day 2 and we have only 30 miles on the odo, but already finding myself in the lovely car more often than I ever was in our just-retired E87. Love the ride, acceleration, much improved interiors and space. The car is bigger, wider, has a more premium presence and well built feel to it.

Wish I had specked the sun protection package which at £250 is on par or cheaper than aftermarket fitment. Not very impressed with the ambient lighting at all and would have preferred going for the extended lighting as I am used to it from my F07 and retired F13.

Last edited by SpokenHands; 08-10-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
My experience at 100 miles

We have just done a 100 miles in the new F20 but I am already enjoying driving this car more than I ever did the E87 we retired. I am not saying my regular F07 or the Maser are being left idle just yet. But this is an incredibly competent model. I am sure all of you feel the same way so we made a good choice!

There are the 3 things i am not so impressed with:
1. Ergonomics of the dashboard display: the bottom line of the OBC info display is completely obscured by the top of the steering column in most steering positions. The Black-Panel Dashboard option on the F20 - which is not half as good as the F01/F07/F12/F13 versions - may be a bit better.
2. The standard internal lights are poor. The ambient lighting that comes with the extended lighting package should be standard - I am going to try and look for a retrofit atleast for the front!
3. The servotronic power steering is over-assisted at low speed and I had a few confused seconds a few times when the steering didn't seem to correspond with the actual wheels! It needs to be weighted a bit, keep it a bit more natural.

The car has crystallised for me that:
1. You definitely want to tick the VISIBILITY PACK option: brighter, clearer vision and a good cornering function, plus makes the car look infinitely better
2. The DRIVER COMFORT PACK adds cruise control and servotronic power steering, surprising how both add so much to the premium feel and driving characteristics (and partly why I love this car more than ever!)
3. BMW ECOPRO is more than marketing spin; impressed how the full raft of efficiency measures adds miles when the relaxed driving style is appropriate, especially in town driving. Not recommended on A-roads and motorways though.
4. The additional rear legroom and bootspace makes this car more practical and usable.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

That's one beautiful car there. That model really suits the white. BMW have done a great job with the styling on the F20. I really like the alloys and they always appear to look bigger than 17's. Congratulations.
Appreciate 0