BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > About to order a F21 116d EDE

06-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d

Hi all,

Let me shortly introduce myself:
My name is Ronald, 23 years old/young and living in the Netherlands (near The Hague).

The last months I spent many hours on this forum and learnt a lot more about the F20/F21. Thanks for that!

At the moment I drive a 2008 BMW 118d (E81) in the color Montegoblau. Which is a great color, especially in combination with the brushed chrome exterior trim:

I've got this car since October 2011 and it's just brilliant. Coming from a Seat Ibiza 2007 the first drive in this car was great. No creaks, no wind noise, just a comfortable car with enough power. I really love driving in it and with 1200 kilometers per week it has become my second home

As this is a leasecar which will be replaced in November this year by a new one, I'm orientating myself for a new car. One thing is for sure: it will be definitely a BWM. Several alternatives have crossed my mind: Volvo V40, new Audi A3, VW Golf, etc. but everytime I end up with the new 1.

For about a month ago I had myself convinced that it should be a F20 5 doors SportLine in Crimson Red until....BWM announced the 3 doors F21

The F21 has the sporty character which is missing in the F20 if you ask me. And in my situation (single, no kids and no plans for it) I simply don't need a 5 doors car.

So I changed my mind, turned on Photoshop and changed the color of a sparkling bronze F21 into a Crimson red F21.....and felt in love for it

By the end of June I will get my formal approval to order a new leasecar. It's for 99% sure that it will be the following one:

116d EDE F21 3 doors (unfortunately the EDE is not deliverable with the M package)
Crimson red
Sport Line (mean accessoires: sport seats, red trim on dashboard, High gloss mirrors etc.)
16" styling 378
Navigation Business (part of Business + package in NL)
PDC rear (part of Business + package in NL)
Xenon headlights (part of Business + package in NL)
HiFi upgrade
Black panel display
Anthracite headlining
Rain + light sensor
Tinted rear windows
Chrome line exterior
Individual Shadowline

A nice list with specs if you ask me

The main reason why I registered to this forum is to thank you for the worthfull information and off course for joining a community of BMW minded people!

I hope to have a good time here.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
good choice, welcome to the forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
is that Crimson red ???? I have to agree somehow I find F21 more attractive than F20
Well, it isn't 100% identical to Crimson Red but it gives me a good idea how a red F21 looks like. So far I didn't found any red F21 on the web (except the Car configurator pics on the global BMW site).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Welcome and Well Done!!!
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Welcome to the forum

I agree, F21 has a more sporty look. If M-sport package is an issue, I would have sacrificed the EDE for the 2-litre 116D. Prices are equal, and the difference in fuel consumption is bearable The package is good value for money if you appreciate the content of it.

Anyway, I've heard positive comments on the EDE, so you can't go wrong either way
Keep us updated!
      06-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
TonyManero
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport - Alpine White

Nice! I probably would have gone for the 3doors if it had been available half a year ago.

1 thing though, I would recommend to listen to both HiFi and HK as HiFi doesn't have separate tweeters. It's the only thing i'm sorry not to have chosen. But I don't know your budget of course. HiFi isn't bad but sometimes I feel it's lacking clarity.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed
Welcome to the forum

I agree, F21 has a more sporty look. If M-sport package is an issue, I would have sacrificed the EDE for the 2-litre 116D. Prices are equal, and the difference in fuel consumption is bearable The package is good value for money if you appreciate the content of it.

Anyway, I've heard positive comments on the EDE, so you can't go wrong either way
Keep us updated!
Well in The Netherlands the lease price per month for the EDE is less expensive than a regular 2 liter 116d. This is caused by the 99 gram CO2 emissions. So actually I'm forced to choose for a EDE or I need to cancel some specs

The reviews I read about the EDE are quite positive too. The only thing which scares me a bit is the second gear. I heard some complaints about that.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyManero
Nice! I probably would have gone for the 3doors if it had been available half a year ago.

1 thing though, I would recommend to listen to both HiFi and HK as HiFi doesn't have separate tweeters. It's the only thing i'm sorry not to have chosen. But I don't know your budget of course. HiFi isn't bad but sometimes I feel it's lacking clarity.
I'm still doubting about that. In The Netherlands there is a difference of €500,- between HiFi and HK. It isn't quite that much if you compare it to the total price of the car but with the current specs I'm near to the maximum of my lease budget

So I have to make some choices and I prefer the other specs more than the HK system (although it's great).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Nadav
Rep
Drives: F20

crimson red is amazing. you'll love it, on reallity it looks much better. gl.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald89 View Post
Well in The Netherlands the lease price per month for the EDE is less expensive than a regular 2 liter 116d. This is caused by the 99 gram CO2 emissions. So actually I'm forced to choose for a EDE or I need to cancel some specs

The reviews I read about the EDE are quite positive too. The only thing which scares me a bit is the second gear. I heard some complaints about that.
Ok. Within that budget I believe you have made a wise choice of options. Good luck
      06-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadav
crimson red is amazing. you'll love it, on reallity it looks much better. gl.
I've seen it twice when I visited my dealer and indeed, it looks much better IRL than on the images. But that applies for the whole new 1, it isn't a very photogenic car until you see it on the road

It's a pity that Montegoblau isn't available on the new 1. It's such a great color!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed
Ok. Within that budget I believe you have made a wise choice of options. Good luck
Thanks! Maybe I've some budget left for the extended light package. I'm still doubting about that, I really like the outside door handle LEDs.

Will keep you guys posted about the progress
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M539

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
But there is Tiefseeblau (Deep Sea Blue? nfc how its called in dutchieland ), which is quite nice and just a bit darker than yours.

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thomas
But there is Tiefseeblau (Deep Sea Blue? nfc how its called in dutchieland ), which is quite nice and just a bit darker than yours.
It's called Tiefseeblau in dutchieland too

But I found that one a bit too dark
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Well ok then. If you like the red, go for it and save the money for a metallic color. But I don't really like the uni red, never did with the E87, and don't with the F20. I'd have loved some burgundy red, or sedonared! F20 in sedona.. ! Do want But hey.. can't have it all

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Strangely enough I don't like a red E87 either..

A metallic red color would be a worth full addition, I agree with that
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
Doubleyou
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 116d F20

Nice choice! The F20/21 looks great in Crimson red. The F21 actually lloks even better than the F20.

No plans to order chrome line? I think it looks great on a red car. I would skip the dark tinted rear windows.

My colleague just received his 116d ED 1 month ago. I did a test drive and the 1.6 engine sounds better than the 2.0 in my 116d. More refined, less oldskool diesel noise. If I had the chance to order again I would go for the ED. The sound of the engine is the only real negative aspect of my 116d. For the rest: great car!

And don't forget: the ED looks better as well: 2 or cm lower than the normal 116d.

I have ordered the HiFi Active speakers and the sound is really good. But if you have the budget for the HK speakers: go for it .
      06-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleyou
Nice choice! The F20/21 looks great in Crimson red. The F21 actually lloks even better than the F20.

No plans to order chrome line? I think it looks great on a red car. I would skip the dark tinted rear windows.

My colleague just received his 116d ED 1 month ago. I did a test drive and the 1.6 engine sounds better than the 2.0 in my 116d. More refined, less oldskool diesel noise. If I had the chance to order again I would go for the ED. The sound of the engine is the only real negative aspect of my 116d. For the rest: great car!

And don't forget: the ED looks better as well: 2 or cm lower than the normal 116d.

I have ordered the HiFi Active speakers and the sound is really good. But if you have the budget for the HK speakers: go for it .
Thanks!

You're absolutely right. I forgot to mention that one in my list with options. I see that BMW Individual Shadowline is missing too!

Nice to read these positive comments about the EDE.
I made a test drive in a 116d and haven't noticed the noise of the engine. It was at least not more noisy than my current 118d
But nice to read that the EDE is more quiet. That's a big advantage!

Are you sure that the EDE is 2 cm lower than a non-EDE? BMW says its 10 mm lower. But it would be nice if it's more than 10 mm

I have the plan to let the rear windows tinted afterwards. That means I'll be able to see how it looks without tinted windows. Based on that I can decide to let them tint or not.

Regarding HK: it's a hard choice. If I go for it I need to skip some options (which I don't want to do).
Would you still take it if you listen most of the time to radio instead of cd/USB (which I do)? I mean: the quality of the radio signal is not as good as cd/USB. So, make it sense to have a good audio system in that case?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #19
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
I would have loved to check HK too, but I would not know what I would have unchecked for it.. what would you kick out for it? Its the same here, 99% of the time I'm listening to radio.. so I went for HiFi.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thomas
I would have loved to check HK too, but I would not know what I would have unchecked for it.. what would you kick out for it? Its the same here, 99% of the time I'm listening to radio.. so I went for HiFi.
I would skip the Anthracite headlining. It looks nice but it isn't a showstopper.

Just made a quick recalculation and by skipping the headlining I should be able to add HK to the options list.. Why is it so bloody hard to make a good decision
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Hmkay.. as I went for M sport, I can't skip black headlining or shadowline, as both is included . But as I wanted both, I would have paid even more for non-M with those options than with M. I'd have to kick out f.e. cornering light (480eur vs. 450eur for HK in addition to hifi), but I was not willing to give up that for a better sound I'm probably not going to appreciate due to the lack of good source and being audiophile.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

After several weeks of calculating I've just ordered my new car:

BMW 116d EDE 3 doors
Crimson red
Sportline

with the following specs:

- Dakota leather sport seats - black with red stitching (part of special Innovation Edition in The Netherlands)
- Heated front seats
- Navi Professional
- Xenon
- PDC rear
- Harman Kardon audio
- Automatic airco
- Black panel display
- Anthracite headlining
- Rain + light sensor
- Tinted rear windows
- Extended light package
- Chrome line exterior

A nice list with specs, some of them are nice-to-haves instead of must-haves but who cares
Very happy with it and I'm looking forward to the moment I can drive in it

Below some pics of how it will look like:

I hate waiting..
Appreciate 0