BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Next Generation of 1-series - Hatchback, Coupe, Convertible and more...

02-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Next Generation of 1-series - Hatchback, Coupe, Convertible and more...

I have Seen the future.... and it is .....Compact....And it works....

BMW 1er Gran Coupe Sports Sedan

- Demand for a four door in the important US Market
- Could be built in Spartanburg
- A more sporting approach without intercepting important euro fleet market for lower engined BMW 3er models.

- Rear wheel Drive
- Unique styling Concept from the sporthatch.
- Returns to the formula of the classic BMW Sports sedan.

The European fleet market for BMW is a tightly contested market that is dominated by the lower BMW 320d and BMW 520d models.
This is one reason why BMW have not sought to introduce a 1er based sedan in light of the 1er being proved to be too small with fleets resorting to the C-Klasse and A4 Audi.
With demand for a 1er that can fit within the important US Market , The world of a premium sporthatch does not fit as the premium BMW will charge for the Sporthatch in the US will not make the 1er competitive with the relevant VW Golf.
One solution is to introduce a four door 1er but under the disguise of a four door Coupe in the mold of the BMW 6er Gran Coupe - Giving it a sleeker appearance and a more niche market. Based on the 1er the car will retain Rear Wheel drive and offer the more performance-led diesel and petrol four cylinder turbo charged family.
Designed to emulate the classic RWD BMW Sports sedan , small compact but instantly recognisable.
One option could be to manufacture the car in the US.

BMW 1er Shooting Brake

- Reinterpeting the design of the 1600/2002 Touring shape
- Performance led Style concept
- Rear Wheel Drive
- 2dr (3dr with hatch)

Another option for the 1er is to further emulate the classic historic 1600/2002 models and introduce a compact based Shooting Brake Touring styled in the form of the classic BMW 1600/2002 Touring with it's almost streamlined wedge-like shape.

The Payoff of an Uncharted Territory - F2x Hatchbacks

Name:  f20_red2_600.jpg
Views: 8037
Size:  60.9 KB
Photo courtesy of Bimmerpost - All pictures and information here

Although the BMW X3 was the first out of the gate using the latest architecture that will be found under the 1er and 3er.
The Premium Compact expansion begins with the next generation BMW 1er Sporthatch which you will see in a couple of months time.
Using and evolutionary styling approach , the new 1er follows the X3 and "Reverse Engineers" the original concept enhancing what worked and re-evaluating what didnt work. Rear space which was a contributory factor to the E87 is now improved as is cabin materials.
The new 1er retains that individual C-Segment typical hatch shape which defined BMW as a major competitor in the compact segment with the 1er being the drivers choice. Launched almost simultaneously with the 5dr Sporthatch is the 3dr Sporthatch , the option for the 1er driver who had no need for 5drs, this time the 3dr Sporthatch will live up to it's appearance with a more sport orientated model overlooked in face of the Coupe reincarnating BMW's classic Tii label with turbocharged four cylinder power to produce for the first time a competitor for the VW Golf GTi ,
although those who need the extra doors will also get to play with a relative 5dr.

In Early 2012 , The first details of the BMW M-Sport Packet for the 1er will be announced again offering enhancement and not distraction.

With the 1er and 3er being the two signifcant volume models introduced by BMW in 2011, the 1er will open the mid-year whilst the 3er will end the year.

F2x 1er Coupe and Convertible

Given the establishment period of the 1er from 2004 - 2007 which allowed BMW to push ahead and emulate the leading profit segment of the 3er with additional concepts. In which 2007 introduced the 1er Sporthatch and of course the 1er Coupe and Cabrio which also allowed BMW to introduce the 1er to the North American market in a more appealing form.

The 1er Coupe and Cabrio has shown that Premium compacts do work and especially in the North American market. To which if you look at what BMW's competitors are currently involving themselves in is more Premium Compact concepts, especially after seeing how BMW have established a market for these models which after the 3er is BMW's most profitable line-up. Given the time from Sporthatch to Coupe did not give BMW much time to become more adventurous with the appearance mainly due to the first step into a new segment with the E87 1er in which all BMWs entering a new segment have an establishment period of 2-3 years to determine if the intergration has been successful.

The next Coupe and Cabrio allows BMW to instigate a more classic yet modern approach of it's present day incarnation of the typical 2dr BMW RWD Concept starting from the 2002,E21 and E30 3er but returning in the E82 1er Coupe. The Coupe and Cabrio become more adventurous from the F20 hatch it allows them to form their own identity but keep the propotions and that classic look which has made the E82 an enthusiasts car and a much loved one at that. With the model line up refelecting today's choices and
Engine choices for the new Coupe and Cabrio will emulate the Sporthatch and offer more performance and efficiency with less cylinders .
The next Cabrio will carry over that straight forward clean appearance of the current car with the new design but will retain it's quick and lightweight soft top roof as 1er customers are deemed to be very happy with the simple function of the folding soft-top.

The current discussion especially for the 1er Coupe and Cabrio models is to reclassify them as a BMW 2er in light of the FWD 1er models to avoid confusion.
Although the FWD models will inherit f Drive to classify them with the Sporthatches inheriting sDrive.

BMW see the growth of the Premium Compact and Premium Entry Segments paramount to their target of 2 million units by 2020 in which unit sales will be determined by the MINI Brand /BMW FWD vehicles and the Premium Compact and Premium Entry vehicles.
      02-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Scott, what about the M models? I am keen as mustard to know what the future holds for the 1M coupe. Will this be replaced by the grand coupe? Or perhaps there will be a M model for each of 3/5 door hatch, coupe and grand coupe?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

M is a sub brand of BMW.
I will talk about M later when I get to the Sub-brands. Right now I am focusing on the core BMW models and how they rank in BMW's current strategy and their importance , especially with new options being added and considered to the segment and why this segment is paramount to BMW.
      02-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Interesting. So it is a possibility that the US could get a 1 Series Shooting Brake? Or possibly a "Grand Coupe" model?

- J
      02-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

I am wondering the difference in the new F22 and F32 coupes. Engine lineup for the USA, weight, and of course the M on both redesigns.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
i dont like how RWD is mentioned as if we are being offered a "favor", BMW should always be about RWD cars, even in, no wait, especially in, smaller/sporty models like the 1 series
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
i dont like how RWD is mentioned as if we are being offered a "favor", BMW should always be about RWD cars, even in, no wait, especially in, smaller/sporty models like the 1 series
Just be happy with what you can get in RWD instead of complaining about the few FWD vehicles in the lineup. The FWD cars are not designed and built for us "purists" - myself included.

It's inevitable - FWD in some BMWs, turbos in most (soon). Just buy what you want or buy used (or switch brands).

Thanks Scott26 for another information overload! Looking forward to every update.
      02-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
Just be happy with what you can get in RWD instead of complaining about the few FWD vehicles in the lineup. The FWD cars are not designed and built for us "purists" - myself included.

It's inevitable - FWD in some BMWs, turbos in most (soon). Just buy what you want or buy used (or switch brands).

Thanks Scott26 for another information overload! Looking forward to every update.
What he's saying is that he shouldn't have to "Just be happy" that he can get RWD. BMW means different things to different people, but most people will agree that BMW always means sporty, rear-wheel drive, balanced driving machines. So there shouldn't be any need to mention that a BMW will be RWD, it should be that way, always.

As for what Scott said, I am actually excited about the upcoming models, it should be very interesting to see what they come up with. Im thinking the 1 series gran-coupe might end up looking like the VW Passat CC, which is good imo. Until then, I will reserve judgement on the raft of new models, even if some of them do seem a bit odd on the face of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Scott26, thank you for providing us with more information.

I come away a bit confused. What is a shooting brake? Sounds like 1 and 2 series BMW's will have a maximum of 4 cylinders. That could still be a sweet drive with a 245 hp turbo, provided the weight is kept in check.

Part of what I don't understand is the idea of competing with the Golf, which is a car priced much lower than BMW.

Anyway, there is a whole lot of possibilities floating around here. 1 series, 2 series, touring, GT, coupe, 3 door, 5 door, FWD, RWD and so on.

There is definitely a need for the next 1 series models to have a rear seat that is functional with a driver that is taller than a petite woman. Niche cars? the 1 series in the US is definitely a niche car with four variants and less than 1000 per month sold.

I would be very happy to see more BMW's built in the US.
      02-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
Leo_328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster, E39 E36 E34 E30

Quote:
this time the 3dr Sporthatch will live up to it's appearance with a more sport orientated model overlooked in face of the Coupe reincarnating BMW's classic Tii label with turbocharged four cylinder power to produce for the first time a competitor for the VW Golf GTi
If this will be RWD, this will be so awesome

Although I am upset that the classic naturally aspirated inline-6 will soon depart, I am really excited about the idea of a turbo 4-cylinder engine and Tii badging - it sounds like a really beautiful reincarnation of the 2002.

Hopefully BMW can engineer the FWD cars to be refined and quiet for all the non-enthusiasts and have the RWD cars feel very alive and sporty; if some of the magic of the BMWs of old are recreated it can only be a good thing for us enthusiasts
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
M is a sub brand of BMW.
I will talk about M later when I get to the Sub-brands. Right now I am focusing on the core BMW models and how they rank in BMW's current strategy and their importance , especially with new options being added and considered to the segment and why this segment is paramount to BMW.

Scott - has BMW seen what Ford is doing with the new Focus? Seems like Ford has stollen your premium luxury idea.

The new Focus has: lane assistance, speed limit sign reading, auto braking. navi, basically everything except a HUD system. Too bad the interior looks like dog doo-do.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coni View Post
What he's saying is that he shouldn't have to "Just be happy" that he can get RWD. BMW means different things to different people, but most people will agree that BMW always means sporty, rear-wheel drive, balanced driving machines. So there shouldn't be any need to mention that a BMW will be RWD, it should be that way, always.

As for what Scott said, I am actually excited about the upcoming models, it should be very interesting to see what they come up with. Im thinking the 1 series gran-coupe might end up looking like the VW Passat CC, which is good imo. Until then, I will reserve judgement on the raft of new models, even if some of them do seem a bit odd on the face of it.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
npd2983
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 128i MT; '09 335d

Focus has the Audio advantage for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Scott - has BMW seen what Ford is doing with the new Focus? Seems like Ford has stollen your premium luxury idea.

The new Focus has: lane assistance, speed limit sign reading, auto braking. navi, basically everything except a HUD system. Too bad the interior looks like dog doo-do.

Dackel
From renting several Ford "Foci" for work, I have noticed the stereo is far superior to the radio & speaker setup in my 1 series, which by the way, cost approximately twice as much as a Ford. This was a big miss by BMW. No need to cheap out on something as simple as a radio & speakers. I can't imagine it costs BMW much of anything to put decent quality speakers in the car. It is 2011 already. Hello?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Thanks Scott. Can't wait!

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coni View Post

I'm with you... I wouldn't buy a FWD BMW, but I'm sure the sales will be just fine.

There was also a time when BMW represented "lightweight"... not so much anymore (mostly out of their control due to safety standards increasing). Also, there was a time when the thought of a BMW SUV (sorry, SAV) was unthinkable.

To me, BMW has always been about a driving experience - one you don't get in any other brand. A big part of that has been because of the RWD, balance, steering, etc... - but because of the joy I get from the brand in general, I would have no problem driving an X5 - or for that matter, a FWD 2-seater. But for the pure BMW experience, I'll drive my M3 of course.

My point is simply to stop the RWD/FWD whining just as people have now started to accept SAVs as part of the brand we love.
      02-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks for all the info SCOTT. This makes the strategy much more clear, especially with the 1 Gran Coupe for the US market. And thankfully, it will be based on the RWD 1/3 architecture rather than UKL.

I certainly hope that this one makes it to production and I would love to see this product built in the USA as well. And, of course, an M version would be great too.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #17
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

3s-a-charm, I am with you on the RWD/FWD thing. BMW has proven with Mini that FWD can be a blast and VW has done it with the GTI.

Overall, I remain a bit confused as to the future of the 1 series models as they exist now. It seems the future 1 series will not be anything like the present I6 models on sale in the US now and for another year or so.

There will be a 2 series something, but just what this is a bit hazy.

Anyway, when production stops on the present 1 series, it looks like there will not be a BMW as small as the 1 coupe with an engine as big as the N55 in our future, except possibly as an M (with a pressurized to the max 4) in small quantities and a higher price.
      02-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Anyway, when production stops on the present 1 series, it looks like there will not be a BMW as small as the 1 coupe with an engine as big as the N55 in our future, except possibly as an M (with a pressurized to the max 4) in small quantities and a higher price.
You're right - ther won't be anything that "big".

But, I think BMW will surprise us with a 4 cyl in ~300hp range. There will be a big gap between the ~250hp 128i/130i and the ~350hp+ 1M. I strongly suspect an "si" model here. When you consider that Hyundai/Kia have the 2L turbo @ 274hp today in a family car, I don't think that a ~300hp 2L engine from BMW in a non-M vehicle by 2013/2014 is a stretch at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:

It is not a question of stolen ideas it is more a progression of the Auto industry for this decade. in the economic crisis BMW and everyone else found customers were downsizing or buying smaller models in which for BMW the greatest advantage was for the MINI , 1er and 3er.

As of now as reflected by latest product announcements manufacturers are focusing on the single important growth sectors of this decade to understand in BMW terms it is the MINI/UKL , Premium Compact and Premium Entry.
Because of the advance to these segments they are more profitable because the segments are more diverse which is why BMW are looking at additional concepts for all these three sectors.

Even though customers were downsizing or buying smaller they were still purchasing expensive options. With the 1er and 3er because they are volume models BMW can carry premium options on to these cars but because they will be volume the cost can be spread so for the 1er and 3er they become more cost effective for production and the customer.
The overlooming spectre of efficiency also hovers over the industry in total and in the last few years companies have been looking at alternative power , and improving engines to become more efficient.

The question you have to ask is where do you see the luxury car in about twenty years from now? will it exist as it exists today? or will it be smaller?
The advance to more compact luxury cars is to show that if heavy environmental legislations come to pass and the customer is taxed out of their cars? then the same level of luxury will be available in a more diverse choice of product.
      02-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Latest Picture form AutoZeitung. Mirrors with the indicators look ok I think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #21
Kg810
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: .:R32

Hmm... No matter how many times I read the OP, my brain refuses to understand what was being said (because of the way it was written).

So if anyone would be so kind to answer this one question, is NA going to get the 1er Hatch or are we just getting the Coupe and Cabrio? And so far I do not care about the 1er Gran Coupe, I am only interested in the Hatch. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #22
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
Latest Picture form AutoZeitung. Mirrors with the indicators look ok I think.
That front end doesn't look good at all. I'm confident from the mules we've seen that the nose won't look so awkward.

Other than the front, I am having a hard time distinguishing between this and the current 5dr models. Is the styling really that much of a slight evolution?
Appreciate 0